JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Possible to lower a JK? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/possible-lower-jk-3545/)

Snake 02-20-2007 01:56 PM

Possible to lower a JK?

Hey guys, just found this forum. Ordered my JK last night and hopefully it will come in a few weeks.

I owned a 1987 Wrangler back when I was younger and have an 05 cherokee in the family as well, had the wrangler for many years and was very happy with it and missed it so much I decided to get a new one. The only problems I had were the carburator problems.

I was wondering, this is probably the complete opposite of what everyone else does with a Jeep, but are there any manufacturers that make lowering springs or kits for these vehicles such as Hotchkis or anyone else?

My first Jeep didnt have springs in the rear so this was very easy to do, but with this suspension setup, I'm having a tough time finding something that will aid in lowering the suspension a little on this vehicle considering it is much higher stock than the previous jeeps.

I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.

I bought this as a city car, because all my other cars are lowered and they were getting killed driving in the city everyday.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Docwinkle 02-20-2007 02:03 PM

Stand By !! Stand By !!!!!
Here it comes........
:thinking:

NO

CLACKEY(_!_) 02-20-2007 02:10 PM

I hope you have thick skin because what you're gonna get for that question might hurt a little..........

Are you an idiot? It's a JEEP!!!!!!:mad:

DeezUU 02-20-2007 02:15 PM

Lol... I hope you own a super fire retardant flame suit!!

But on the real, do what ya like. It's yours. You can always talk to a spring shop to make some customs.

Funny as it may sound, my pops had only 1 complaint about the JK and that was it was a PITA for my mom's short legs to get into. He's not allowed to trade in his XJ for a JK due to her lil' ol self. Hahaha.

MJS_Jeep_888 02-20-2007 02:16 PM

:gak: :jawdrop: :motz2:

You are in violation of official Jeep law, article 4, subsection 2.7: Thou shalt not ghetto-rig a Jeep as an asphalt scraper (I'm paraphrasing). Seriously - this may not be the forum for you... While Jeeps are all about individuality and this forum is pretty welcoming, the last guy to ask about lowering his Jeep is still hanging from a tree on the side of a trail... :rotflmao1:

If you want a "city car," I would suggest a vehicle built for that specific use - they're usually easy to identify, because they sport city-ish nomenclature - i.e., Civic, Metro, etc.

If you must buy a Jeep and lower it, please don't be suprised to find someone with a lifted Jeep accidentally parking on your hood someday... :yup:

All kidding aside, if you're looking for a low-to-the-ground city car, and want some convertible functionality, wouldn't you be happier with a Miata or something?

bleblanc 02-20-2007 02:47 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:rotflmao1:

CLACKEY(_!_) 02-20-2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snake (Post 34549)
Hey guys, just found this forum. Ordered my JK last night and hopefully it will come in a few weeks.

I owned a 1987 Wrangler back when I was younger and have an 05 cherokee in the family as well, had the wrangler for many years and was very happy with it and missed it so much I decided to get a new one. The only problems I had were the carburator problems.

I was wondering, this is probably the complete opposite of what everyone else does with a Jeep, but are there any manufacturers that make lowering springs or kits for these vehicles such as Hotchkis or anyone else?

My first Jeep didnt have springs in the rear so this was very easy to do, but with this suspension setup, I'm having a tough time finding something that will aid in lowering the suspension a little on this vehicle considering it is much higher stock than the previous jeeps.

I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.

I bought this as a city car, because all my other cars are lowered and they were getting killed driving in the city everyday.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I like the part "I ordered my JK LAST NIGHT I hopefully it will come in a few weeks.":rotflmao1:

nam6869usmc 02-20-2007 02:58 PM

Do you honestly think the JK is to high and needs lowered, this statement you made(I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.) So your saying you actually do some offroading which I interpreted in your statement above. Why in the world would you have a need to lower it a all. Something sounds a little fishy here.

.45Hardboil 02-20-2007 03:04 PM

NO!

Yeah, it's true. The new Jeep was designed so that it could not be desecrated by "belly scrapers".

To each their own, but lowering a Jeep is...well....LOW.:naw: :thinking:

2K1TJ 02-20-2007 03:09 PM

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hope you don't catch too much crap for this thread, but I'd expect the worst.
Honestly, in stock form, it's not that high. If it's too high for you, why did you order it?

If it's that big a problem, add a set of step bars if you didn't order them, like the ones on the Sahara, and some grab handles that attach to the roll bars. With these, you should be able to get in comfortably. If not, then maybe this isn't the vehicle for you. Not being mean about it, just being realistic. I'm only 5'7" and I can get in fine.

With all this said, it's yours and you should be able to do what you want. But your only option is probably a shop that does custom stuff. I doubt anything is on the market to lower the JK yet (thank God :rotflmao1: ).

balonywolf 02-20-2007 03:14 PM

OMG. There are no words. Now, I'm no serious off-roader - just some light trails now and again - but I know that Wranglers are never meant to be lowered. It would fly in the face of everything they've stood for since they played a big role in WWII as the Willys.

Snake, take your JK back, and get a Grand Cherokee SRT8.

AZCA jeeper 02-20-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by nam6869usmc (Post 34574)
Do you honestly think the JK is to high and needs lowered, this statement you made(I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.) So your saying you actually do some offroading which I interpreted in your statement above. Why in the world would you have a need to lower it a all. Something sounds a little fishy here.

Yeah, it sounds like you do do some offroading, so why lower it. Jeep designes their vehicles to preform well on and off road, so if it's good enough for the factory, why isn't it good enough for you?!!??!

I agree somethin' just doesn't make sense.:thinking:

dkingjk 02-20-2007 03:22 PM

cancell your order so as not make yourself look stupid. place a new order
for a Compass

papabear 02-20-2007 03:24 PM

Be NICE!!!!!!:yup: LMAO:rotflmao1: Papabear

astrogiblet 02-20-2007 03:27 PM

Why buy a jeep too lower it and drive it around as a city car? Thats what I'm wondering.

-Brandon

superboo 02-20-2007 03:29 PM

i'm disappointed.

Phishjeep 02-20-2007 03:41 PM

If you seriously want to lower it a couple inches, why not just get lower profile tires. like 255-40 R17?

papabear 02-20-2007 03:42 PM

To each there own, Lets not let this thread get into a P****** match, If the man wants to lower his jeep fine, but with all that aside no harm has been done so far. Let us keep it Cool, It is a legitimate question that I personally do not have an answer for. Papabear:thinking:

Rubimon 02-20-2007 04:13 PM

Just drive it in a ditch and it will seem low!

I think you are playing with us! Wladzui did you change your name?;)

USAF_GroundRat 02-20-2007 04:34 PM

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...oserderage.gif

DeezUU 02-20-2007 04:35 PM

To be fair, I have seen some VERY capable lowered Jeeps. Put these puppies in their element and they'll rule the roost. (literally!)

http://www.jpmagazine.com/eventcover..._Side_View.jpg

clubber 02-20-2007 04:35 PM

BLASPHEMY......................................... :naw:

Dutch 02-20-2007 04:45 PM

A man's free to do what he wants with his property, but I'll be damned if I understand why this guy is buying a jeep. There are so many more suitable vehicles to buy for running around on the streets with. I just don't get it. :thinking:

PainProphet 02-20-2007 06:28 PM

wow, never thought I'd read something like this.... You gotta have some big balls to ask that. I'd never, ever think about lowering a Wrangler! My Z is lowered, but it's a sports car! The Wrangler's only gonna go up in altitude. :D

edit: ahh, was hoping that the thread originator was bs'in us.

Woods 02-20-2007 06:29 PM

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/im-going-say-sorry-advance-3461/

bkiehn 02-20-2007 06:46 PM

Let me first say, that I am planning on a 3-4" lift on mine, and the ghetto lowered truck look annoys me to no end. That being said, I have no problem with any vehicle lowered for a legitimate purpose (i.e. for handling not for show) that is not too overdone. The Grand Cherokee was designed to be a serious off roader (not as much as the Wrangler of course, but still) and I really like the SRT8 GC. I think if you were to make a Wrangler similar to this it could be ok. Only slightly lowered, not much bling, suspension tweaked to make it handle better, bigger engine, etc. could be fun. I know most everyone here will disagree with that, but at least I am being honest. Yes Jeeps were made for off road, but how many people in the market for sports cars end up getting Jeeps, never to take it off road, only to cruise around the beach or back roads enjoying the drive. If you ask me, a tastefully lowered JK might just be alright. Sure it's for me, and not for most people here, but I can see the point behind it.

smaug 02-20-2007 07:59 PM

http://www.scottbarger.com/blog_wp/w...006/04/end.jpg
:doh:

Actually, I've lowered Jeeps before, many, many times.
...by airing down the tires.

-S

degenerate 02-21-2007 03:02 AM

you do all realize that he hasn't replied to any of these, right? nor has he posted again? but is still active?

Snake is sitting in a chair, drinking a beer, laughing at the havoc caused by tossing a rock at a hornets nest.
:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

nam6869usmc 02-21-2007 03:30 AM

Definitely a TROLL,..he's just checking to see if any takers on a Lowering the JK and adding Bling Bling / running 22's like the FJ's and H3's are. Boy did that boy get his NOT answer, now he's back on his own forum.:rotflmao1:

SabrToothSqrl 02-21-2007 04:17 AM

Lower A Jeep?!!!

Did you ever see the opening to "American History X" .....

Not a threat, just saying, bad stuff happens...

Although a lowered JK could be used for driving practice... OVER IT!!!!!!

ROKLIMO 02-21-2007 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Snake (Post 34549)
My first Jeep didnt have springs in the rear so this was very easy to do...

That must have been a rough riding SOB with no springs in the rear.

If you are trolling, you have been successful...:rollingeyes:

Dean 02-21-2007 05:05 AM

*Sigh*

Dude, do whatever you want with the Jeep. Don't listen to the people on this board - they apply way too much pressure to conform to some sort of pre-fabricated philosophy that the Jeep company itself breaches every few years.

Good luck!

MJS_Jeep_888 02-21-2007 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 34791)
Did you ever see the opening to "American History X" .....

Not a threat, just saying, bad stuff happens...

Although a lowered JK could be used for driving practice... OVER IT!!!!!!

That's a great movie - but don't "curb" him! Then again, because they're considered mythical creatures (:toung:) I don't think Trolls are protected by our legal system. So, I don't know if there'd be any penalty... :confused: :rotflmao1:

MJS_Jeep_888 02-21-2007 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by benmar2000 (Post 34827)
Well... I told everyone not to feed the troll.. LOL

Oh well, it does give an idea where everyone stands and how compassionate we are about our Jeeps.. :D

Ben

Right - would I get the same impassioned responses if I went on an H3 forum and asked if it was possible to make one off-road worthy, to match a Jeep? :rotflmao1:

armycop 02-21-2007 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe Xenon will come out with something like this for the JK:rotflmao1::confused:

armycop 02-21-2007 06:19 AM

And here is the back.....

1 Attachment(s)
here is the back end, even worse than the front, love the baby blue!:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

Snake 02-21-2007 06:28 AM

Wow! 4 pages of responses I just checked back on the forum this morning
nah guys im not a troll, actually pretty well known on the dodge forums
I just wanted to do something a little bit different this time around since my first car was a Jeep, I always wanted another one

sorry if I offended you Jeep guys, to be honest I dont care to be bashed. I've been working on cars since I was a young kid and apart of a lot of these forums, if anyone does something different they get hated on...but with my style of driving, I will end up flipping one of these cars over. Its a very practical car for everyday in the city if you think about it for those of you who live in Manhattan maybe you can relate to this one.

I started drag racing my truck back when I was 17 and have been involved in racing ever since. Not much off roading in the city unless you drive in the bronx, some of those roads will kill a regular car within a few months of driving through them.

So guys enjoy bashing, its all right. Just wanted a simple question answered. If you can't answer it, dont worry about it, I'll figure it out sooner or later.
But don't be surprised if you see a lowered turbo Jeep driving around NY next year, you'll get a good laugh out of it.

Here are a few of my last projects
The neon should be around 650fwhp by the end of the month at 36psi with a full race motor setup
http://myspace-251.vo.llnwd.net/0011...15505251_l.jpg
This is my second 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T might of seen it featured in a few Carlisle Shows
http://a683.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...8fa726b2ea.jpg
This is my old '91 VW GTI 16V with 12:1 Compression 2.1 Liter Motor
http://myspace-603.vo.llnwd.net/0052...28927603_l.jpg
My current 2zz Turbo 2000 MR-2 Spyder project
http://myspace-593.vo.llnwd.net/0105...52735593_l.jpg
Lastly what I drive with everyday in the city to work, which is what im getting rid of for the Jeep
http://myspace-447.vo.llnwd.net/0109...94133447_l.jpg

HappyCurmudgeon 02-21-2007 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by armycop (Post 34846)
Maybe Xenon will come out with something like this for the JK:rotflmao1::confused:https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...6&d=1172070778

Originally Posted by armycop (Post 34848)
here is the back end, even worse than the front, love the baby blue!:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...7&d=1172071117

AHH! :ahhhhh: My eyes! My eyes! :eek!:

stop it already!~ :giveup:

armycop 02-21-2007 06:43 AM

Serious response!

Snake, We had the same response with the guy asking about the 20s on the Wrangler. If you want to lower the JK, I am guessing you will probably have to use the old fashioned torch to cut the coils and get some shorter shocks or airbag it. I doubt very seriously that any manufacturer will mass produce any lowering kits for a JK since there is really no market for it, as you can see by the 5 pages of posts. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes and if you have the money, go for it. I would like to see a turbo or supercharger for the 3.8. If you can do that I would like to see that!:yup: I could use about another 100 hp!

Augie 02-21-2007 06:46 AM

....wtf??????????????????????