Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to lower a JK?

Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to lower a JK?

Hey guys, just found this forum. Ordered my JK last night and hopefully it will come in a few weeks.

I owned a 1987 Wrangler back when I was younger and have an 05 cherokee in the family as well, had the wrangler for many years and was very happy with it and missed it so much I decided to get a new one. The only problems I had were the carburator problems.

I was wondering, this is probably the complete opposite of what everyone else does with a Jeep, but are there any manufacturers that make lowering springs or kits for these vehicles such as Hotchkis or anyone else?

My first Jeep didnt have springs in the rear so this was very easy to do, but with this suspension setup, I'm having a tough time finding something that will aid in lowering the suspension a little on this vehicle considering it is much higher stock than the previous jeeps.

I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.

I bought this as a city car, because all my other cars are lowered and they were getting killed driving in the city everyday.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stand By !! Stand By !!!!!
Here it comes........

NO
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you have thick skin because what you're gonna get for that question might hurt a little..........

Are you an idiot? It's a JEEP!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol... I hope you own a super fire retardant flame suit!!

But on the real, do what ya like. It's yours. You can always talk to a spring shop to make some customs.

Funny as it may sound, my pops had only 1 complaint about the JK and that was it was a PITA for my mom's short legs to get into. He's not allowed to trade in his XJ for a JK due to her lil' ol self. Hahaha.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Thumbs down

You are in violation of official Jeep law, article 4, subsection 2.7: Thou shalt not ghetto-rig a Jeep as an asphalt scraper (I'm paraphrasing). Seriously - this may not be the forum for you... While Jeeps are all about individuality and this forum is pretty welcoming, the last guy to ask about lowering his Jeep is still hanging from a tree on the side of a trail...

If you want a "city car," I would suggest a vehicle built for that specific use - they're usually easy to identify, because they sport city-ish nomenclature - i.e., Civic, Metro, etc.

If you must buy a Jeep and lower it, please don't be suprised to find someone with a lifted Jeep accidentally parking on your hood someday...

All kidding aside, if you're looking for a low-to-the-ground city car, and want some convertible functionality, wouldn't you be happier with a Miata or something?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 02-20-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake
Hey guys, just found this forum. Ordered my JK last night and hopefully it will come in a few weeks.

I owned a 1987 Wrangler back when I was younger and have an 05 cherokee in the family as well, had the wrangler for many years and was very happy with it and missed it so much I decided to get a new one. The only problems I had were the carburator problems.

I was wondering, this is probably the complete opposite of what everyone else does with a Jeep, but are there any manufacturers that make lowering springs or kits for these vehicles such as Hotchkis or anyone else?

My first Jeep didnt have springs in the rear so this was very easy to do, but with this suspension setup, I'm having a tough time finding something that will aid in lowering the suspension a little on this vehicle considering it is much higher stock than the previous jeeps.

I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.

I bought this as a city car, because all my other cars are lowered and they were getting killed driving in the city everyday.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
I like the part "I ordered my JK LAST NIGHT I hopefully it will come in a few weeks."
Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you honestly think the JK is to high and needs lowered, this statement you made(I do not do much off roading so I have no need for lift kit etc.) So your saying you actually do some offroading which I interpreted in your statement above. Why in the world would you have a need to lower it a all. Something sounds a little fishy here.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

NO!

Yeah, it's true. The new Jeep was designed so that it could not be desecrated by "belly scrapers".

To each their own, but lowering a Jeep is...well....LOW.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you don't catch too much crap for this thread, but I'd expect the worst.
Honestly, in stock form, it's not that high. If it's too high for you, why did you order it?

If it's that big a problem, add a set of step bars if you didn't order them, like the ones on the Sahara, and some grab handles that attach to the roll bars. With these, you should be able to get in comfortably. If not, then maybe this isn't the vehicle for you. Not being mean about it, just being realistic. I'm only 5'7" and I can get in fine.

With all this said, it's yours and you should be able to do what you want. But your only option is probably a shop that does custom stuff. I doubt anything is on the market to lower the JK yet (thank God ).

Quick Reply: Possible to lower a JK?