Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

possible to make tire carrier out of non carrier bumper?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to make tire carrier out of non carrier bumper?

I have the aftermarket metal Mopar bumpers....I opted for the non tire carrier rear one, but am starting to lean towards 37's. If I go that route I need a proper carrier so I don't break the cheap one on the tailgate. Can I alter the one I have or would it make more sense to just sell the one I have and buy the proper one?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Im not too familiar with the Mopar ones but I have the warn tire carrier bumper and I bought the tire carrier arm about a month after I bought the bumper. It seems most bumpers I have seen without the swing away arm have a mounting hole for one. If you could just buy the individual swing away section that would be much cheaper than a whole new setup.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Yup, the mopar has the hole cut for the carrier. I am sure you can find it online or at your dealer. Or, you could build one. They are pretty simple to build, all you need to buy is the spindle, which can be found online, and a little steel.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Hanson Off Road JK I saw at the Off Road Expo had a 37" spare mounted to a custom tire carrier on the tail gate and it seemed to work just fine...

According to them, they spoke with Jeep engineers and were told that the tail gate should be able to support up to a 37" tire without any problems.

HTH
Old 10-11-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Is this for sale somewhere and if so, would it come in raw steel or powdercoat. and what are the $$$? My warn tire carrier rattles at the closing point and have tried many homemade remedies with little success. Would love to ditch it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by easttnruby
Is this for sale somewhere and if so, would it come in raw steel or powdercoat. and what are the $$$? My warn tire carrier rattles at the closing point and have tried many homemade remedies with little success. Would love to ditch it.
Unfortunately, I don't believe it is yet but once it is, I'm sure you can get it from Hanson Off Road. Granted, the products they make are some of the most expensive around but in all honesty, you do get what you pay for.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKRuby
Yup, the mopar has the hole cut for the carrier. I am sure you can find it online or at your dealer. Or, you could build one. They are pretty simple to build, all you need to buy is the spindle, which can be found online, and a little steel.

Hmmm, are you certain? I don't see a hole anywhere on my rear bumper? Do I need to drill it out of something?

Wayoflife, your saying 37's should be okay on the stock tailgate carrier? I thought 35's were the largest supposed to on there?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2ksir
I have the aftermarket metal Mopar bumpers....I opted for the non tire carrier rear one, but am starting to lean towards 37's. If I go that route I need a proper carrier so I don't break the cheap one on the tailgate. Can I alter the one I have or would it make more sense to just sell the one I have and buy the proper one?

There are other forum members who opted to get the rear (Pre-Drilled) Mopar Bumper. Maybe one of them can chime in with some info or draft a drilling template for you to use.

I got the Mopar Bumper "without" the tire carrier holes and wish I would've, just in case move up to a bigger size tire in the future!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by y2ksir
Hmmm, are you certain? I don't see a hole anywhere on my rear bumper? Do I need to drill it out of something?

Wayoflife, your saying 37's should be okay on the stock tailgate carrier? I thought 35's were the largest supposed to on there?
My mistake, the mopars i have seen all had the hole. You could drill one out with a good hole saw, buy a spindle, some 2" square tubing, and build the carrier any way you like.

Quick Reply: possible to make tire carrier out of non carrier bumper?