Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Wheel Sensor Issue

Old 06-01-2017, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Wheel Sensor Issue

I have a 2012 JKU-R. I had a problem with my ESC coming on, and then my ABS. After a few days my Hill Descent started kicking in, as well. I diagnosed the wheel sensor and changed it. It seemed to fix it. That was three weeks ago and now the ESC and ABS lights are back on and it seems to be dragging on the left again. Any ideas at what to look at next?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it has generated a code, an ABS / advance code reader should be able to tell you if it is the same wheel.

Assuming it is the same wheel:
Check that the wiring you just changed is connected, try some contact cleaner/abrasive on the connector to remove corrosion.
Check the tone ring is not damaged.
Try another sensor

Then burn it with fire.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by imskwirly
I have a 2012 JKU-R. I had a problem with my ESC coming on, and then my ABS. After a few days my Hill Descent started kicking in, as well. I diagnosed the wheel sensor and changed it. It seemed to fix it. That was three weeks ago and now the ESC and ABS lights are back on and it seems to be dragging on the left again. Any ideas at what to look at next?
Wheel bearing unit. A failing wheel bearing unit will give all the same symptoms as a bad speed sensor....the speed sensors mounts onto the wheel bearing assembly. The addition of the dragging points it towards the wheel bearing unit failing.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would put your chances of a bad unit bearing very high. Put the Jeep up on jack stands and spin the wheels, check for drag and noise and give those suckers the ole shake test. Any clucks, play or grinding is a sure sign of a wheel bearing and that will trip up your traction control system.

Quick Reply: Possible Wheel Sensor Issue