Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Powder Coat stock rims?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat stock rims?

Just wondering if anyone has powdercoated or painted their stock rims black? If so did you do it yourself?(what did you use and how much did it cost) or did you go somewhere to get it done profesionally and how much did it cost? Also, have you had any problems w/it?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to get some soft 8s (or maybe a star looking steel wheel) powder coated yellow to match my Jeep. But the cost was about $80 per wheel. Because they have to strip the old paint off first. One place wanted $100 per wheel.
I once saw a bright yellow early Bronco with matching yellow rock crawler rims and black fender flares and trim. It had black center caps and lug nuts. It looked great. But I couldn't see paying $400 just to paint 5 wheels.
I ended up spending that $400 on a lightly used Smitybilt winch and Pure Jeep bumper.
Be advised that powder coat usually fades faster than regular paint, although it holds up a lot better to bumps and bruises.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

there are a lot more threads on this if you search...

That being said... I painted mine black with rattle can rustolem "satin Flat Black" this was after first scrubbing them clean, then sanding them with a very fine sandpaper, then cleaning them once more. Once they were dry, I put about 4 coats of paint lightly on them... letting each coat dry.

People the next day were asking how much I had to pay for those cool new rims. Totally changes the look of the rims.

They have held up fine so far... if I need to re sand them and shoot another layer of paint on them once a year ...I can do that. Cost was about 3 hours of time and 11 bucks... They are holding up well to everything. I don't know how they would do against comercial tire cleaners being soaked on them.... but I do most of my washing with a brush and soap water.. so no problems with that either.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat stock rims?