Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Running without tire pressure sensors.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running without tire pressure sensors.

Other than a dummy light on the dash coming on is there any reason to spend the money on the sensors if upgrading my wheels and tires? I am pretty sure I can flash the light off the dash as well using a scan tool anyway.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

If you are in a state with yearly inspections you will not pass. I have been running without mine for well over six months now. Although, I was able to get the dummy light off with the Superchips.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Locklain
If you are in a state with yearly inspections you will not pass. I have been running without mine for well over six months now. Although, I was able to get the dummy light off with the Superchips.
Yeah I have the state inspection that would fail it if they saw it but in NJ you get 4 years from time of purchase before needing a reinspection and although I dont see myself riding around that long with the light on, I can take my time in shutting it down. Thanks for the confirmation of what I already suspected. 50 dollars saved is 50 off the next mod.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by maddygirl
Other than a dummy light on the dash coming on is there any reason to spend the money on the sensors if upgrading my wheels and tires? I am pretty sure I can flash the light off the dash as well using a scan tool anyway.
not in my opinion. as mentioned, if it's not required in your state, i'd yank them. that's what i did and turned off the idiot light using an aev procal.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only reason they're there is beacause nobody(other than jeep owners) ever checks there pressure.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

You'll like this. Completely contradicts what I'm doing here too. My wife asked me to check her tire pressure last weekend when I had time in her Tahoe because she thought the tires looked a little low. (Mind you it is getting cooler here) I asked her if her tire pressure light came on the dash and she claimed "no" so I told her she has nothing to worry about then.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

The only way this TPMS thing is going to make any difference at all is if there is a digital read-out for the EXACT pressure in each of the tires. As it is now it will just be another one of those lights that people ignore until it is convenient for them to check.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Locklain
The only way this TPMS thing is going to make any difference at all is if there is a digital read-out for the EXACT pressure in each of the tires. As it is now it will just be another one of those lights that people ignore until it is convenient for them to check.
That's the way it is on my wifes Tahoe LTZ. You digitally can see the pressure in each tire AND if it drops below a set pressure the warning chime will sound and the light showing the affected tire will flash.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I had the sensors moved to my new tires. Broke two, and got a procal to turn the system off instead of replacing them. Even passed a Texas state inspection with the system off.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I had the sensors moved to my new tires. Broke two, and got a procal to turn the system off instead of replacing them. Even passed a Texas state inspection with the system off.
They didn't know the system wasn't on/working or you would have failed. The extent of their inspection is checking the dash cluster for the dummy light being on. NOT ON = NOT A PROBLEM.

Quick Reply: Running without tire pressure sensors.