Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp 4in Lift?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Comp 4in Lift?

Has anyone installed a pro comp 4in lift on a 2 dr? I am looking at the stage 1 lift with MX-6 shocks from 4wheelparts as the price is very decent. However, even though the salesman says they have installed that lift on numerous jeeps for dealers without additional mods, I am a little concerned that there are no additional changes to the axles and such. He is calling pro comp direct on Monday to discuss, but I thought I would check around and see if anyone has experience with it.

My backup is to go with the Teraflex 2.5" system with coils and shocks as I just installed that lift on a friend's jeep last weekend and liked how it turned out.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

this is just a basic starter lift and it doesn't really have any components that you can screw up. however, at 4" of lift, i'm really suprised that this lift doesn't come with dropped pitman arm, front track bar drop bracket and adjustable front track bar. also, at 4" of lift, you really should add more positive caster and the best way to do that is with a set of adjustable control arms. being that you have a 2-door, you will also need to replace your rear driveshaft and to do that, you will need adjustable rear upper control arms. of course, none of this comes with this kit. last but not least, if you have an auto, you will need to replace your front drive shaft as well.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have this lift on my jeep currently(springs front and rear no spacers in rear). It rides ok and I have had no issues with the driveshafts. However it is like WOL says a basic lift. I regret going this route now and should have spent more and got a "real" kit with arms and the rest of the hardware that should be done for this height. If you are not planning on doing any wheeling this is probably the lift for you, however if you want to use your jeep for what it was built for save up and get the stage 2 kit or another brand. Just my two cents.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Thank You

Originally Posted by FireRescue707
I have this lift on my jeep currently(springs front and rear no spacers in rear). It rides ok and I have had no issues with the driveshafts. However it is like WOL says a basic lift. I regret going this route now and should have spent more and got a "real" kit with arms and the rest of the hardware that should be done for this height. If you are not planning on doing any wheeling this is probably the lift for you, however if you want to use your jeep for what it was built for save up and get the stage 2 kit or another brand. Just my two cents.

I love input from boar d memebers like you, you just convinced me to save up the money for a stage 2 kit instead of the 1 kit
Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want a 4" kit or a 2.5" kit? I got the 3" Tera flex kit which gave me more of a level 4". I got the kit with sway bar discos, lower front and upper rear adj. control arms and I added JKS adj. track arms front and rear. It drives better now than ever. The ESP never comes on anymore, I no longer have any rubbing at full turn lock to lock, and it feels really connected to the road and sporty. It came with brake lines and spring retainers and stuff. I have no regrets at all going with this lift, and plan to upgrade the front uppers and rear lowers as money allows. Just a thought. Plus Teraflex guys are on this forum and offer great tech support.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Do you want a 4" kit or a 2.5" kit? I got the 3" Tera flex kit which gave me more of a level 4". I got the kit with sway bar discos, lower front and upper rear adj. control arms and I added JKS adj. track arms front and rear. It drives better now than ever. The ESP never comes on anymore, I no longer have any rubbing at full turn lock to lock, and it feels really connected to the road and sporty. It came with brake lines and spring retainers and stuff. I have no regrets at all going with this lift, and plan to upgrade the front uppers and rear lowers as money allows. Just a thought. Plus Teraflex guys are on this forum and offer great tech support.
Actually i was very interested in the 3" lift, but I couldn't tell if it was still offered as I didn't see it on Teraflex's website. May give them a call and see what the story is.

Eventually I would love to do a "real" lift but for now I am on a budget and trying to just improve over stock where feasible as I build up slowly and gradually improve its offroad capability. I definitely use it as intended, as a whole Sunday this past weekend spent removing my radiator to get the mud out from my last spring creek offroad visit will attest to.

I have the front teraflex discos and have been very happy with them.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKCobra
Actually i was very interested in the 3" lift, but I couldn't tell if it was still offered as I didn't see it on Teraflex's website. May give them a call and see what the story is.

Eventually I would love to do a "real" lift but for now I am on a budget and trying to just improve over stock where feasible as I build up slowly and gradually improve its offroad capability. I definitely use it as intended, as a whole Sunday this past weekend spent removing my radiator to get the mud out from my last spring creek offroad visit will attest to.

I have the front teraflex discos and have been very happy with them.

I just bought one a few weeks ago, and it is really nice. Go to the T-flex website and download the catalog. All of the lifts are in there. you can also get t-flex from Northridge for much cheaper than Teraflex listed prices.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi

don't know if you want to see it, but here is my teraflex 3" with 4 flex arms. I will get the rest soon as I can. It is a really nice lift IMO:
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

looks good
what do you need/ should get with a 3" lift?
im thinking front+rear trackbars,Driveshafts? when do you need a high steer or drop pitman arm?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
looks good
what do you need/ should get with a 3" lift?
im thinking front+rear trackbars,Driveshafts? when do you need a high steer or drop pitman arm?
thanks. you got it, you need all that prolly. I have always gone by the rule of thumb that you keep your drag link parallel to your track arm. So if you use a track arm drop bracket, you use a drop pitman. If you only use an adj. track arm you don't use one. I have very little bump steer, so I think a drop bracket and pitman are not needed. Driveshafts are stock for now, but I will replace them.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp 4in Lift?