Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting the 3D printer to work

Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Putting the 3D printer to work

Finally after a few years of rolling the dice without one, I made a front license plate bracket. I wanted something that would be out of the way, secure and quick to remove for the trails. With all the crap on my front bumper, that was a tall order. I took some measurements and went through the process: Fit templates, proof of concept, prototype and finished part. Enjoy!

Sketch for the final product. "Final" product.. It's never final when it goes on the Jeep, especially when it's so easy to modify..

Mid print:

Fresh Parts! Hot off the printer!

Mounting: I used an existing hole in the BFH bumper to secure the mounting bracket. The bracket is a tight fit on the bumper, the pin just holds it in place. I printed a custom cotter pin because why not.

And mounted with all stainless hardware. Not dangling under the bumper, angle adjustable, out of the way of the light and winch. The whole thing comes off in a few seconds and goes back just as easily. This is my second design, I shifted the plate to the left to keep the bumper logo visible
Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice print!

ABS or PETG? How's it holding up to the cold?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sweet!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, that's handy!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The future is here. That is sweet.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:24 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that's pretty sweet...
Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by desync0
Nice print!

ABS or PETG? How's it holding up to the cold?
Just PLA so far. I like to get all the bugs worked out with the cheap stuff before I print with quality filament. It's been on a few days with no signs of problems. I've tweaked the design for nice things like a recess for the hinge bolt head and a bigger handle on the cotter pin, but I haven't had the need to print yet. I'd actually like to see if this one fails first so I can put any structural changes into the next round. Plus it's working which has me already auto piloting to the next project..
Old 02-01-2017, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

nice. custom printer, or if not what brand?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

That's amazing!!!! I wish I had access to such an awesome tool, have project that it would be perfect for. However looks like I'll be playing with fiberglass this spring, since I don't have a fancy dancy machine like that, maybe I'll start saving my pennies
Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Just PLA so far. I like to get all the bugs worked out with the cheap stuff before I print with quality filament. It's been on a few days with no signs of problems. I've tweaked the design for nice things like a recess for the hinge bolt head and a bigger handle on the cotter pin, but I haven't had the need to print yet. I'd actually like to see if this one fails first so I can put any structural changes into the next round. Plus it's working which has me already auto piloting to the next project..
If you haven't reprinted come warm weather, keep a real close eye on it, PLA has a pretty low glass temp, wouldn't want your plate falling off because your print deformed/melted lol

Quick Reply: Putting the 3D printer to work