Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting the 3D printer to work

Old 02-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pbujku13
nice. custom printer, or if not what brand?
It's a Lulzbot Taz 6. Very happy with it!

Originally Posted by desync0
If you haven't reprinted come warm weather, keep a real close eye on it, PLA has a pretty low glass temp, wouldn't want your plate falling off because your print deformed/melted lol
I''l probably print before then. Being a prototype, I kept the walls thin so I don't expect it to last forever. Though I am pleasantly surprised with the rigidity, that's what comes of good design I like PETG for most of my finished stuff, more than likely that's what the "final" version will be.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

That is really cool. Good job!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool!!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Since I traded up to 37s and slapped that spare on the back, my rear view has been lacking. I wanted to do a custom backup camera mount with the 3D printer. I went through the process, added some features along the way and ended up with a dual camera (full time rear view on a rearview mirror monitor and a backup low angle) and 3rd brake light concoction. Check it out

Start with some sketches and measurements. Funny how what I imagine initially only loosely resembles the finished parts.

Then fit templates, make the digital match the real life stuff. I try to use as little material as possible for this

Do it till it fits right

This was the original proof of concept. Camera mounts up, so far so good

On the carrier

Tire mounted

I drove around like that for a day in the rain, the camera got absolutely soaked. I added a rain shroud to my revision list. I know it will get wet, but I'd like to keep as much visibility as possible. This is also where I decided to use all that empty space for a relocated 3rd brake light. Back to modeling

Happy print

Rear wiring channels

There were a few revisions in the middle here as well to get the fit right. But it's coming along. The lenses are printed in a clear copolyester and then sanded to help diffuse those super bright LEDs. I will probably try printing these in something more opaque, the LED's still show as spots behind the lens.

Testing the cameras. The jeep was in for a regear so I ran it off my bike project. Yes, my garage is a nightmare with a wide angle lens. Don't judge me

Fitting and wiring the brake light LEDs

With the cameras in the final part

Testing the brake light

Fitting on the carrier

Fitting in the spare I have in the garage

I don't want to mount it all up yet, it's raining and I don't want the camera connectors just hanging out before I wire everything up. I'm confident enough everything is in the right spot. And if something is catastrophically wrong, I'll just revise and reprint. What a time to be alive!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Since I traded up to 37s and slapped that spare on the back, my rear view has been lacking. I wanted to do a custom backup camera mount with the 3D printer. I went through the process, added some features along the way and ended up with a dual camera (full time rear view on a rearview mirror monitor and a backup low angle) and 3rd brake light concoction. Check it out Start with some sketches and measurements. Funny how what I imagine initially only loosely resembles the finished parts. Then fit templates, make the digital match the real life stuff. I try to use as little material as possible for this Do it till it fits right This was the original proof of concept. Camera mounts up, so far so good On the carrier Tire mounted I drove around like that for a day in the rain, the camera got absolutely soaked. I added a rain shroud to my revision list. I know it will get wet, but I'd like to keep as much visibility as possible. This is also where I decided to use all that empty space for a relocated 3rd brake light. Back to modeling Happy print Rear wiring channels There were a few revisions in the middle here as well to get the fit right. But it's coming along. The lenses are printed in a clear copolyester and then sanded to help diffuse those super bright LEDs. I will probably try printing these in something more opaque, the LED's still show as spots behind the lens. Testing the cameras. The jeep was in for a regear so I ran it off my bike project. Yes, my garage is a nightmare with a wide angle lens. Don't judge me Fitting and wiring the brake light LEDs With the cameras in the final part Testing the brake light Fitting on the carrier Fitting in the spare I have in the garage I don't want to mount it all up yet, it's raining and I don't want the camera connectors just hanging out before I wire everything up. I'm confident enough everything is in the right spot. And if something is catastrophically wrong, I'll just revise and reprint. What a time to be alive!
Vey nicely done. You may need to sell these.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by phljeeper
Vey nicely done. You may need to sell these.
Unfortunately this piece fits my wheel, my tire carrier and my cameras. I'm sure there's a reasonably universal arrangement, but it just sounds like a bit of a nightmare with the breadth of the JK aftermarket. Or maybe not, if I wake up with 4000 PMs tomorrow asking for one I'll look into it..

I got it mostly installed yesterday. Everything takes time because I like to clean up wiring where I can so there's a lot of soldering and heat shrinking and connectors to do, plus I got sidetracked doing a neighbor's brakes. I got the 3rd brake light finished up and I have a plan for the camera wiring. I'll be splicing an extension into the camera harnesses to 1. pass cleanly through a rubber grommet and 2. keep the connectors inside. I prefer everything on the outside of the jeep to be dunk-me-in-the-river waterproof. Here it is mounted up

And last night in the dark with the brakes lit

I'm very happy with the result so far. Now I just have to get the cameras and rear view monitor done.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks pretty good!For such goals, I can use a simple color printer and do not spend a bunch of money on an expensive one. I am an artist and usually draw for some game - companies. For my portfolio, I needed a good color printer with ink cartridges. My girlfriend gave me the advice to check out this website https://www.mrdepot.ca where I could buy a high - quality printer for a good price. These guys have great customer service, fast, and more important, free delivery and superb quality of their products. I bought a great printer and I’m absolutely happy with it. Look over this site for more info, if u are searching for a good printer, bro!

Last edited by tinkypp; 07-05-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Huh. All these pictures are gone. Let's see what I can dig up

Still needs some work. You know, one day.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

What about a deflector on the 2007-2010 windshield defroster vent so that in the winter not only can the passenger see where we are going but the driver can as well. For the age of the vehicle Dodge Mercedes Daimler Fiat <whatever> had the shittiest defrost design ever known to man. Air needs to be deflected to the left side of the screen as there it ices up about 6" in from the left side. Nothing wrong with passenger side!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
What about a deflector on the 2007-2010 windshield defroster vent so that in the winter not only can the passenger see where we are going but the driver can as well. For the age of the vehicle Dodge Mercedes Daimler Fiat <whatever> had the shittiest defrost design ever known to man. Air needs to be deflected to the left side of the screen as there it ices up about 6" in from the left side. Nothing wrong with passenger side!
I've printed out a set and they work well. I believe Mr. T also bought a printed set and was happy with them. His design is slightly different than what I found and probably a little more effective as well.

Quick Reply: Putting the 3D printer to work