Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadratec Mirror Movers Installed

Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Quadratec Mirror Movers Installed

I'm a doors-off type of person. I want as little door as possible. For over six years with the JK I've been exploring how to make doorless life easier. I lived with public parking for a few of those years and I'd lug the doors from the jeep to my apartment and back every morning and evening. I'm committed. I've been using the Die-Tech mirror brackets for most of that time, I'd just swap them in and out with the doors. It's simple enough. A few years ago I picked up a set of Bestop fabric doors so I could leave with them on a cool morning and toss them in the back later when it warmed up. The problem here is that the mirror brackets used the top hinge and I couldn't have both the soft doors and mirror brackets on at the same time. There is an option to put mirrors on the fabric doors but that defeats the purpose of having them portable enough to stow in a 2 door trunk. So I got a set of A-pillar mounted mirrors for the short fabric door season. Those mirrors suck btw, there's no field of view, they vibrate like hell and they're in a lousy position. The problem became when to have which mirrors installed and what door option was compatible with them. Switching out mirror brackets for doors is fine, but pulling mirror brackets, putting the pillar mounted mirrors on, throwing on a fabric door and then a few hours later driving around doorless with crappy mirrors was just too much. Mostly I just put a few extra layers on and let the fabric doors get dusty in the garage. But then one day I stumbled upon this magical solution (which apparently has been around sine 2015 or so but I've never seen or heard of?).

Quadratec has this brilliant mirror mover kit which literally makes my life a better place. I don't know how every jeep out there isn't running these mirrors. No, I know, it's probably the price tag but whatever. I'm actually surprised that Jeep didn't look into a similar solution for the JL. All I can think of there is longevity concerns. Anyway, the idea is that the mirror is on a sprung, hinged bracket that mounts to the A-pillar. The full door mirror gets replaced with a bumper and when you open the door, the mirror mover rotates out on its hinge to allow the door to open. They just stay in place when you pull the doors and your mirror is in the factory location. The real beauty of this, for me anyway, is that these mirrors also work with the fabric doors. That means that I NEVER HAVE TO CHANGE MIRRORS OUT EVER AGAIN. First world problem? Yes. But it was still soaking up minutes of my life here and there and being such a freak about my doors, those minutes add up. So when I found out they existed I ordered up a set. The price tag is worth it to me, obviously considering my mental imbalance on the subject. Not only did I pony up for the mirrors and brackets, I got the kit that retain the heat and power functions of the mirrors. I deliberated on that point for a while, all of my summer mirrors had no power and I would probably never have missed it. But I sold the old mirrors for the difference of the power upgrade and I used that as my excuse. Everyone has their own budget and priorities, don't look at me like that.

The mirrors came in ONE DAY. I picked the free standard shipping and they came in ONE DAY. Thanks Quadratec, that's pretty sweet. Or I live close to a distribution center, whatever. I had some time yesterday and it was nice out so I put them on. I had planned on just getting the mirrors mounted and leaving the wiring for when I had more time, we all know how that can go. The instructions were outstanding, even though it was literally a 2 bolt installation. Most of it focused on running the wires. They were well written on glossy pages with big annotated color photos. We've all seen aftermarket Jeep gear instructions and it's worth mentioning that these were nice. The mirrors were well packaged and in perfect condition. The install was a cake walk, even just by myself. It was so easy that I ended up running the wires as well and got it all up and running. The connector adapters they give you were fantastic, a nice solution to what could have been a lot of cutting and splicing upside down in the footwells. Really I can't say nice enough things about the quality of the kit.

On to the real show here, they work FLAWLESSLY. They sit in the right spot, they're the same big, square stock mirrors, they still have power, they don't vibrate on the road and they allow me to toss any door I want on without issue. They have a pin hole to lock the mirrors in the open position to swap doors, but I haven't used it once. It's simple enough to move the mirror out with a shoulder and plop a door on. I've plopped doors on about 40 billion times so maybe that one's just me but it's a quick, tool free operation.

Any door. Any time. Why is this not more of a thing?! The only issue I foresee is going to be the maintenance/failure of a new moving part. It's going to sit out in the elements year round and we know what NJ winters can do. They do mention in the instructions that adjusting the spring tension will probably be a thing for the life of the product, which I'm cool with and I appreciate the heads up. I hope the rest of the assembly weathers well and holds up. Time will tell! I'll suffer through a lot for this kind of convenience. I didn't take any pictures during the installation, Quadratec did a better job of that than I could, but I grabbed a couple shots in the garage before posting this just so I had something for you fine folks. I'll add more when they happen.

I did take one with the fabric doors on, I was so excited I had to show someone. They actually do a good job of letting the soft door open easily while keeping it from swinging out all over the place.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. I’ve looked at these in every Qtec catalog but haven’t seen any install/reviews. They do seem like a quality solution. Keep us updated as time progresses. Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great. Tell me more about the soft doors. How easy are they to live with? I've been checking them out for years just for the same reason...to be able to take them off easily, toss them in the back and go. The reviews lean towards negative which is what has kept me from getting them.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bestop door mod to use with moveable mirrors?

icrashbikes

I picked up the moveable mirrors for the same reason and too have the Bestop doors. Wish I saw your post 2 years ago!!!!

Question... Do you use/recommend mounting a spare set of mirror door plug movers on the bestop soft doors? Do the doors just push them out of the way without any modifications? Are the doors wearing from pushing on the mirror? I am considering trying to get another set of the mirror mover plugs and mounting them with the best top door mounting kit onto the Bestop doors... Before I go through the hassle wanted to know if this is an issue.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Looks like I missed a few posts here.. The soft doors don't need a puck, the mirror slider just sits on the fabric. I have no wear, but I use the soft doors for a few weeks out of the year, just to bridge the cold morning/warm afternoon gap before the jeep goes naked.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

icrashbikes you are the man!

im in the same exact situation as you. I have the same soft doors and I bought the same powered mirrors but I haven’t gotten around to installing the mirrors. You answered almost all of my questions. But I have one more question?...how is the passenger side mirror visibility when the uppers are on the soft doors?

Again, thank you so much. You rock!!!
Old 12-21-2020, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sharms355
icrashbikes you are the man!

im in the same exact situation as you. I have the same soft doors and I bought the same powered mirrors but I haven’t gotten around to installing the mirrors. You answered almost all of my questions. But I have one more question?...how is the passenger side mirror visibility when the uppers are on the soft doors?

Again, thank you so much. You rock!!!
The mirrors are in the stock location so you're starting off as well as possible. My plastic window has a slight wrinkle in the mirror area so there's a little distortion but otherwise it's fine. It's as good as you're going to get for a soft door upper

Quick Reply: Quadratec Mirror Movers Installed