Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about body-mounted tire carrier

Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Haha, no.....sadly. I had a set of 37's lined up for $1100 or could go back to 35's for $1300. The gas mileage difference pushed me to stick with 35's. They were a better choice for my daily driver.
Ah, and here I was going to ask you to spring for my JK's new shoes since your throwing the cash around
Old 02-13-2017, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up ordering the Smittybilt XRC/SRC carrier today. I feel good about the decision. Everytime I hit a bump in the road, I worry about the strain on the tailgate. A couple more upgrades and I will be ready to get off road a bit.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The bumper mounted smitty?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Yep! www.smittybilt.com/product/index/264.htm
Old 02-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I hope their new gen carriers are quieter, the original ones had a lot of movement but I think some of that will be cut down with being linked to the tailgate. If you're happy with the purchase then right on.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I was generally happy with that gen 1 model I had till I caught it on a tree and pulled the whole passenger side out of shape. It would rattle a bit if it was out of alignment but if you got it dialed in it was pretty quiet, even with a 37 on it. As Karl mentioned, tying to the tailgate should help with that as well.....and eliminate the really old issue of it wanting to swing open by itself while driving! I think you'll be happy.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
37*13.5" here and the gate wasn't really much heavier than the stock setup. When you look at adding 110lbs to the gate, it's really not too heavy.
I guess it's been so long since opening a tailgate with a tire on it that my initial impression of that carrier was "dang this feels heavy to open". I can see all of them being like that though considering the weight of the material they have to be made out of and the weight of the tires. One day I'll probably end up going with some hinge/gate option cuz I know there's no way my CC skinny rear bumper is gonna support a spare! LOL.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor

This tire carrier will more than accommodate a 35" tire no matter what you throw at your Jeep. We use a plate that goes behind the sheet metal to provide extra rigidity. I have jumped up and down on a 40" tire connected to the carrier and nothing moves except for the rubber bushings which are designed to flex slightly when a large amount pressure is put on the carrier. It's a really solid way to mount your spare. If you have any other questions feel free to give us a call at 951-680-9595!

-Cole

Originally Posted by BamaJason
I have started working on my first JK build and new tires were among the first set of upgrades I made. I now realize I need a better plan for carrying my spare tire than the standard tailgate mount. The obvious choice is a swing away bumper-mounted tire carrier. In shopping the Internet, I found the DV8 body-mounted tire carrier. I really like the look of it and the reviews look pretty decent, but they don't say how the body contact points hold up over time with all the weight. Does anyone have any thoughts, for or against, this type of tire carrier? I appreciate any comments you can offer.

DV8 Off-Road Wrangler Tire Carrier TCSTTB-01 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

Quick Reply: Question about body-mounted tire carrier