Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What sleeves to get?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sleeves to get?

I'm looking at ordering sleeves and gussets to install next weekend and was wondering what sleeves were the easiest to install for you guys? Do you still have to beat in the weld in sleeves? Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Sleeves do make a portion of the tube stronger but it simply moves the problem area down the tube to where it meets the pumpkin. For ease of installation you may want to look into the Rock Slide Engineering exterior sleeves. They will not hammering.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor

I would recommend a truss over the sleeves. The truss will add more overall strength to the axle than sleeves will. Some folks like to do both, but I personally don't think it is necessary.

If you are dead set on sleeves I would look at Synergy's sleeves and gussets or the EVO Magnum sleeves. If you're interested in a truss EVO and Artec are both excellent choices. Both of those companies offer gussets and lower control arm skids as well.

You can save on our site using coupon code "JKForum".

Marcus
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad
I would recommend a truss over the sleeves. The truss will add more overall strength to the axle than sleeves will. Some folks like to do both, but I personally don't think it is necessary.

If you are dead set on sleeves I would look at Synergy's sleeves and gussets or the EVO Magnum sleeves. If you're interested in a truss EVO and Artec are both excellent choices. Both of those companies offer gussets and lower control arm skids as well.

You can save on our site using coupon code "JKForum".

Marcus
I'm currently not running a lift and don't plan on it for awhile so I think a truss is out of the question.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Sleeves do make a portion of the tube stronger but it simply moves the problem area down the tube to where it meets the pumpkin. For ease of installation you may want to look into the Rock Slide Engineering exterior sleeves. They will not hammering.
I'll definitely look into this.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Does this require pulling the axles? Looked up some old threads and no one's really said they pulled the axle or not.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've not installed the RS-E kit in the past, only the Artec full truss kit. We pulled the axle from the jeep but didn't do any other prep as far as pulling shafts, fluid, etc.

Keep the heat low and slow. I'm in the same boat you are where I probably don't have enough lift to run a full truss. I've got enough miles on the axle to where inner sleeves would suck royally to pound in. The RS-E kit (albeit a little steep in price) should give me extra rigidity in the axle and if I run a bead where the tube meets the pumpkin then that should help with deflection- alongside my driving habits......I hope. I've already added C gussets, LCA skids (f&r), and welded the rear tubes to the pumpkin to prevent spinning back there.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by No401(J)K
I'm currently not running a lift and don't plan on it for awhile so I think a truss is out of the question.
OK...let me ask you this then. What has driven you to feel you need to reinforce your axle? Are you going to run larger tires at stock height with some good ole body mods? I'm asking seriously...I don't like to see anyone throwing good money after nonsense.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad
...I'm asking seriously...I don't like to see anyone throwing good money after nonsense.
Now that's a good vendor there...asking a question to possibly keep money in your pockets do not pad theirs ...👍🏻awesome
Old 01-19-2017, 09:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would not even bother with sleeves or a truss. C gussets I guess, and I would just make my own.

Quick Reply: What sleeves to get?