Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about an inch

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about an inch

So im 2010 jkus, stock suspension but 33" tires and 1.5" adapters, heavy bumpers/winch and rails. I am more of an overlander/expedition person than a rock crawler, although i like to play in novice/intermediate/lower extreme of difficult stuff. Oh, and i plan to ultimately go to 35"s which is why i am questioning lift heights. (I dont really want to go aftermarket/or cut fenders either, but would if needed)

I have read so much over the year about lift heights and how much upgrading needs to be done the higher you go. I do not know enough about the geometry of suspensions and i'd like to learn more so i could figure this out on my own.

I have been planning on a 2.5" lift for a while as i want to go conservative to save on necessary upgrading underneath.. however with heavy hardware and a packed jeep im wondering if a 2.5" lift will realistically net me 2" of lift. (I know that it will likely depend on the manufacturer, but it is safe to assume a heavy jeep will net less than advertised despite the manufacturer, no?)

Would going to a 3.5" lift most likely net me 3"? And would that difference between 2" and 3" net lift mean i would need to upgrade more?

Pardon my questions if they seem lame, i have searched and read lots of material but nothing i read is clear on this grey area between 2.5-3.5 lifts. Maybe because it is a grey area is why im not finding clarity? I am trying to figure out how to do it right the first time. Since i want 35"s and like the idea of more belly clearance, i would prefer to go a touch higher than 2.5" if the difference in detrimental effects to the suspension are negligible.

Any input much appreciated. Those that would suggest i use the search function please tell me what key words to search for to be helpful.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
So im 2010 jkus, stock suspension but 33" tires and 1.5" adapters, heavy bumpers/winch and rails. I am more of an overlander/expedition person than a rock crawler, although i like to play in novice/intermediate/lower extreme of difficult stuff. Oh, and i plan to ultimately go to 35"s which is why i am questioning lift heights. (I dont really want to go aftermarket/or cut fenders either, but would if needed)

I have read so much over the year about lift heights and how much upgrading needs to be done the higher you go. I do not know enough about the geometry of suspensions and i'd like to learn more so i could figure this out on my own.

I have been planning on a 2.5" lift for a while as i want to go conservative to save on necessary upgrading underneath.. however with heavy hardware and a packed jeep im wondering if a 2.5" lift will realistically net me 2" of lift. (I know that it will likely depend on the manufacturer, but it is safe to assume a heavy jeep will net less than advertised despite the manufacturer, no?)

Would going to a 3.5" lift most likely net me 3"? And would that difference between 2" and 3" net lift mean i would need to upgrade more?

Pardon my questions if they seem lame, i have searched and read lots of material but nothing i read is clear on this grey area between 2.5-3.5 lifts. Maybe because it is a grey area is why im not finding clarity? I am trying to figure out how to do it right the first time. Since i want 35"s and like the idea of more belly clearance, i would prefer to go a touch higher than 2.5" if the difference in detrimental effects to the suspension are negligible.

Any input much appreciated. Those that would suggest i use the search function please tell me what key words to search for to be helpful.
Lets see if I can answer your questions.

Well first with a 1.5" lift you could fit 35" tires fine. When you say 2.5" lift your referring to springs or you can go cheaper and put in a budget boost.

3.5" of lift is depending on the manufacture you choose. Everyone is different on how the measure there springs which is lift. For example RE springs I just put on the front of my Jeep run 4.5" but when I measured the front it came out to 5.5".......(which is way to much, plan to change them out again!!!)

The difference between 2.5" and 3.5" is steering, adjustable upper control arms and front drive shaft. If you do go 3.5" of lift I suggest a Synergy flip kit for the front. Adjustable upper control arms to get your caster correct (4.2 degrees) and front drive shaft because when you flex it can hit your exhaust. Oh and longer break lines.

If you do buy a good lift remember to buy a lift with johnny joints. No rubber crap that you have to replace after a certain amount of time.

Hope I answered them???

Last edited by JK JK; 05-13-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Manufacturers use different rates on their coils and good luck finding out what they are unless you are going to run coil overs.
On an expedition set up you are going to be running heavy when on the trails but what about when you are just daily driving it? What kind of weight are you talking about carrying? Many people think they have a heavy jeep when in reality it is nothing that bad. You may want something that allows for adjustment, like coil overs, air shocks, JKS ACOS, or ORI struts.
There are lots of variables to look at and really no answer for your question with the very limited information about your jeep, the gear you are using, and the type of trails you are running.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, thanks. I just heard a ding in my head lol. I will google those struts and stuff. I know coilovers, Id love to do that but they r $$$.

Well.. I think my jeep is heavy. Its got approx 600lbs in bumper/winch. Maybe my concerns with the 1" difference shud b that the inch cud go either way depending on if im loaded down or not. I was thinking to build it for loaded down, but if i spend 80-90% of my time in it on streets.

City driving its not loaded down but i am 240lbs lol. Its a weekend driver for me as i have a gas saving beater for the week. I do load it with about 300lbs of stuff in the city when i frequently use it to haul product back and forth (culinary stuff, maybe 200+ lbs)

When i go out camping/trails i hav at least an extra 500-600lbs of stuff, i carry all recovery gear, hi lift, a full survival trunk, fishing gear, firewood, tent, chairs, guns, ammo and blades, cooler full of food/ice, abt 10gl water, then all other needs and at least one other person 180lbs.

I have 3.73's. I do light to moderate trails. Some rocks but nothing i would be dropping off of. I drive like a grandpa on the streets and i am on the gentle side on the trails, i dont pre-run at all, i crawl over and around most everything i need to.

Thanks for the replies guys. If anyone knows of some good reference material for me to read up on please let me know. (Iv read the thoughts on lifts thread) I would like to self educate myself on this stuff, but nothing beats opinions from people with first hand experience.

Quick Reply: Question about an inch