Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about thermostats????

Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about thermostats????

Usually a cooler engine is a happier engine, I realize they gave us a dummy gauge with no numbers....
but what temp is normal????......(in the tj 205 to 215 was normal.......but I put a 180 and it " seemed " to get better fuel economy not alot but every little bit helps!! and the piece of mind was invaluable!!)

Any one put a 180 thermostat in their JK ?????? And did you notice any difference????

I searched and only found 1 thread about this subject ....with no real answers!!

Thanks for any input you can give!!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to the computer and smog systems, the newer vehicles usually run in the 210 range. Changing the thermostat won't make it run better, it will actually run worse. it takes longer to get to operating temperature so more fuel is dumped into the injectors.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I put a stage II in and they said to put a 180 thermostat with it. That said.... I have noticed no difference in the guages or engine temperature. I do like what the stage II did for it.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKNUT
I put a stage II in and they said to put a 180 thermostat with it. That said.... I have noticed no difference in the guages or engine temperature. I do like what the stage II did for it.
what else did you do to it to require a stage II?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=HULKGREEN;234600]Usually a cooler engine is a happier engine, I realize they gave us a dummy gauge with no numbers....
QUOTE]

Not at all. Typically the best engine life and efficiency are achieved at higher temps as long as they are stable. 180 degree stats typically do nothing but make engines run at a lower efficiency, use more gas, and have less effective heater output. Besides the engine part, the thermodynamics part tell us that a greater temperature differential will promote greater energy transfer... Waiting until the coolant is hotter before sending it to the rad helps the rad transfer away more heat.

I'll don my flame suit and sit the rest of this one out ...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Former Vendor

This freakingly similar to the "auto transmission fluid temperature do I need a cooler" argument going on concurrently with this. Some have the mistaken impression that colder is always better and that is just not the case. Within specifications is where you want to be.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
This freakingly similar to the "auto transmission fluid temperature do I need a cooler" argument going on concurrently with this. Some have the mistaken impression that colder is always better and that is just not the case. Within specifications is where you want to be.
I see no similarities at all. With efi systems it is usually going to create problems dropping down to a 180 t-stat if it isn't accounted for some how. Further more, engine operating temps and tranny temps are separate issues.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys ......I appreciate the input......I believe I will leave the thermostat alone......

I am not going over to the trans cooler arguement thread....but the cooler the transmission runs the longer it will live...... As FORREST GUMP would state...." THAT IS ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT!!"
Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor

Really, you see no similarity with people thinking there's no issue getting an engine too cold and others that think its okay to get a transmission too cold.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
Really, you see no similarity with people thinking there's no issue getting an engine too cold and others that think its okay to get a transmission too cold.

Just look at the figures by the oil company's about oil degradation and temps when it comes to auto transmissions. It is VERY important.

As to engine temps, the higher temps are necessary for smog controls. Most vehicles will not pass smog if the engine temps are colder. If you buy an aftermarket kit and it is designed for lower temps I'd follow that if they said it would also pass smog. Oiling is better when cool but the newer engines run high volume pumps with low viscosity oil for better fuel mileage and especially smog requirements.

Down side to running hot engines? When any part of the cooling system fails you will be in a severely hurting situation immediately. Your water will boil out within minutes.

Quick Reply: Question about thermostats????