Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question:Installing Purejeep bumper

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question:Installing Purejeep bumper

I've just received my Purejeep non-winch front bumper. I read the Purejeep installation write-up in this forum, but nothing on there saids anything about drilling out the front eight holes (9/16). According to the Purejeep installation instruction, it is required for "proper clearance". I haven't attempted to install the bumper yet, but my guess is that the eight existing holes should fit the bolts provided. Am I correct? or this instruction is for the jeep owners who do not have the front factory tow hooks installed with their jeeps because the holes are required for the hooks to be installed. Can anyone provide me with some info?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't need to drill out anything on my Jeep, but maybe I was just lucky
Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

so the bolts that came with the bumper fit the eight existing holes? Can you also reuse the original eight bolts that are mounted on the oem hooks? thx for your help.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by k9driver
so the bolts that came with the bumper fit the eight existing holes? Can you also reuse the original eight bolts that are mounted on the oem hooks? thx for your help.
They did but one was pretty tight and enlarging it would have made it a lot easier to install. As far as the tow hooks go, the bolt for them are actually studs attached to the hooks themselves.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'll make a suggestion, or maybe they already switched them out. The Bolt that came with mine were allen head and rusted quickly in Northeast Ohio. I swapped them out for stainless.

I didnt have to drill anything out either. Of course you have seen that in the write up.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default PureJeep Front Bumper

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I'll make a suggestion, or maybe they already switched them out. The Bolt that came with mine were allen head and rusted quickly in Northeast Ohio. I swapped them out for stainless.

I didnt have to drill anything out either. Of course you have seen that in the write up.
For my non-winch version, one of the holes on the passenger side was actually oval. It probably would have fit, but I enlarged it with the drill anyway. Only one of the holes was like this.

And I agree with Piginajeep, swap the allen heads for stainless...it'll be easier to replace anyway when PureJeep finally sends out the D-ring mounts.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by skramer530
swap the allen heads for stainless...
Is Purejeep offering stainless bolts to replace the allen bolts? or are you guys are talking about the oem bolts that are on the oem hooks?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Is Purejeep offering stainless bolts to replace the allen bolts? or are you guys are talking about the oem bolts that are on the oem hooks?
No, I just went to the hardware store and bought a set. it gives a nice bling look
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've just received my Purejeep non-winch front bumper. I read the Purejeep installation write-up in this forum, but nothing on there saids anything about drilling out the front eight holes (9/16). According to the Purejeep installation instruction, it is required for "proper clearance". I haven't attempted to install the bumper yet, but my guess is that the eight existing holes should fit the bolts provided. Am I correct? or this instruction is for the jeep owners who do not have the front factory tow hooks installed with their jeeps because the holes are required for the hooks to be installed. Can anyone provide me with some info?
I installed my Purejeep stubby last night and wanted to retain the factory tow hooks. They definately look different clamped to the front!! After I scavenged the hooks from the oem bumper, I went and bought (8) 1/2 x 3-1/2 GRADE 8 bolts and drilled the holes as listed in the instructions. One of the holes was considerably smaller and I'm not sure, but I thing it would have slowed the installation a bit. I agree the stainless would not rust and look better, but stainless steel bolts are between a GRADE 2 and a GRADE 5 hardness. The gold colored coating seems to be a pretty good coating as far as rust, but only time will tell. I did use threadlocker and torqued them all to about 90 ft/lbs. I didn't notice any guidelines about the torque, I just pulled that one out of .......you know.

Last edited by CRUISER1027; 05-08-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRUISER1027
I installed my Purejeep stubby last night and wanted to retain the factory tow hooks. They definately look different clamped to the front!! After I scavenged the hooks from the oem bumper, I went and bought (8) 1/2 x 3-1/2 GRADE 8 bolts and drilled the holes as listed in the instructions. One of the holes was considerably smaller and I'm not sure, but I thing it would have slowed the installation a bit. I agree the stainless would not rust and look better, but stainless steel bolts are between a GRADE 2 and a GRADE 5 hardness. The gold colored coating seems to be a pretty good coating as far as rust, but only time will tell. I did use threadlocker and torqued them all to about 90 ft/lbs. I didn't notice any guidelines about the torque, I just pulled that one out of .......you know.
Stainless is nice but yup I prefer to go with grade 8s on everything I do, you can get the regular zinc coated ones that don't have the gold color to them but are still resistant to rust. They look better than the galvanized imo. Black is nice tho cause you can tell if you mess the coating up and touch it up with black paint to prevent rust. To be honest tho as cheap as bolts are and as good as the coating is rust shouldn't be an issue. If it starts to rust just replace the bolt.

Quick Reply: Question:Installing Purejeep bumper