Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RC 2.5" Coil LIft or Rustys 2" Basic Lift

Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC 2.5" Coil LIft or Rustys 2" Basic Lift

Going to be purchasing one of the two lifts above in the next week. Any recommendations or which one to go with?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

there are a lot of folks on here with the RC 2.5" Coil LIft and they all seem to be happy with it.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Im also considering these two kits. Also considering the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. My only concern with the RC & Rustys is not having the swaybar links and trackbar (bracket) & brake line extensions, etc. included in the Teraflex kit. Only problem is that the TF kit is almost twice as must as Rustys or RC.

Last edited by JTURBO; 10-26-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TeraFlex 2.5" also tend to be more complete than others.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rustys wants $100 for shipping!!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

im looking at the same 2 kits, 2.5" terraflex or the 2.5" RC. and have noticed the RC doesnt come with the end links or track bar brackets.

So my question is to all the guys running the RC 2.5" how is it without these parts? would the alignment/caster be way off? and the driveshafts not be centered? or because its only a 2.5" lift u dont really need these options?

I dont mind holding off and getting the terraflex as i know its more expensive but it is complete, just wondering if the parts included in the terraflex are necessary with only 2.5" of lift, because the RC, OME , RUSTYS 2-2.5" dont come with these parts.

thanks for the help!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I know a few people with the 2.5" RC lift and they didn't need anything extra. Now i'm not sure how hardcore they are so they may or may not notice issues, but they've had nothing but good things to say.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

RC did have some issues at the beginning with their JK lifts.. but every day they pick up more and more.. new shocks to replace the old ones that leaked alot.. and instructions with a TAD bit more detail lol
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It comes down to your personal tolerance for non-stock handling and looks. Would you be better off with a more complete kit that addresses more of the issues involved with lifting? Of course. Can you get by with a less expensive lift? Yes --> and then add more components as you go...

At 2.5":
your caster will be low, causing some flightyness. Can you live with it? Lots of people do. If it bugs you, grab a set of front adjustable ca's

both axles will be shifted to the sides. With stock tires, you may not even notice it. With larger tires, it will be very noticeable that one side is sticking out. As long as it is not causing issues with the computer controlled steering/braking systems, you can live with it until you get around to adding brackets or adjustable trackbars

the swaybars will be angled down. On streets and fire roads, this should not be an issue. You will want to be very careful if you go offroad and flex. Short links can cause the swaybar to flip around backwards, which will do some damage. (same with being on a lift at the shop!) As long as you are aware of the issues, you can add these later.

Just get a grasp of what each of the components does, and decide for yourself what 'you' want/need...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It comes down to your personal tolerance for non-stock handling and looks. Would you be better off with a more complete kit that addresses more of the issues involved with lifting? Of course. Can you get by with a less expensive lift? Yes --> and then add more components as you go...

At 2.5":
your caster will be low, causing some flightyness. Can you live with it? Lots of people do. If it bugs you, grab a set of front adjustable ca's

both axles will be shifted to the sides. With stock tires, you may not even notice it. With larger tires, it will be very noticeable that one side is sticking out. As long as it is not causing issues with the computer controlled steering/braking systems, you can live with it until you get around to adding brackets or adjustable trackbars

the swaybars will be angled down. On streets and fire roads, this should not be an issue. You will want to be very careful if you go offroad and flex. Short links can cause the swaybar to flip around backwards, which will do some damage. (same with being on a lift at the shop!) As long as you are aware of the issues, you can add these later.

Just get a grasp of what each of the components does, and decide for yourself what 'you' want/need...
Your nice little exlanation just burst my bubble. Dang it. I was kidding myself thinking I could just get by with the bare essentials. I dont really need more lift than 2.5 inches. I was looking at a Rusty's 2" basic but I had an 06 F250 that had 2" Rancho springs in the front and 350 blocks in the rear and thats all. That thing floated all over the road. I didnt know how to describe it to the shop so they trew on a steering stabilizer, which didnt fix crap. After reading what you wrote I needed a set of adj front control arms. Did it drive? Sure it did. But I wouldnt let my wife drive it. Especially on the freeway. SO......with that in mind what 2.5 encompasses all these items? Suggestions?????

Quick Reply: RC 2.5" Coil LIft or Rustys 2" Basic Lift