Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-designed Teraflex Ball joints?

Old 04-07-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Re-designed Teraflex Ball joints?

It's looking like TF has a newly re-designed ball joint kit for our JKs. It sounds like they improved the design so they can more easily be greased which is what kept me from getting their original design and had me leaning towards the much more expensive rare parts joints when the time came for replacement.

Anyone install these and can provide personal experience? Price? Good, bad, etc?

Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, yeah they look much easier to grease. It was a royal PITA to remove the allen screws, and use a grease zerk extension to get grease in the lowers.

Looks like there's no pre-load adjustment though? I wonder why they removed that feature? It was a big selling point over the Alloy USA and Synergy BJ's; When the lowers would loosen up, you just re-adjusted/torqued the preload rather than buying new lower ball joints. Huh. It's worth asking.

Do you own these new ball joints?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

I don't own these. Currently planning for when I need replacements which is likely to happen this spring. I still have my stock ball joints with 147K miles and running 35s, so likely overdue for replacements.

Just read a discussion where someone just got a set....here's all I know about them currently.

" This have been on backorder for some time because they are a brand new design. These are serviceable and adjustable over time and have the new grease fittings easily accessible."
"They came on my wife's Tera44 we installed in December, much beefier than the Synergy BJs on mine."

So maybe they didn't remove the adjustment?

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-07-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got both sides on my 07 JK replaced from the stock ball joints. Yes, had to wait several weeks as they were on back order but so far they are awesome. Very beefy/high quality and looks like the last ball joints I will have to ever buy. Fixed some of the wobbling I was having in my steering wheel as well!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RVAWrangler
I just got both sides on my 07 JK replaced from the stock ball joints. Yes, had to wait several weeks as they were on back order but so far they are awesome. Very beefy/high quality and looks like the last ball joints I will have to ever buy. Fixed some of the wobbling I was having in my steering wheel as well!
Thanks! Same price as the originals as well?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the older model that now have about 3,000 miles on them, which have been great, but damn I wish these were out when I did mine. The new model looks very nice, and beefier for sure.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a Tera 44 in the kids Jeep. The directions that came with it show they do have a preload adjustment. It also came with a small spanner wrench. I would assume the joints sold are the same as the ones that come in the axle.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine on for a few weeks. So far, I love them. Haven't gotten to grease them yet...
Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Are you still planning on going with these? I was doing a pre-trip inspection and my driver's side has an unacceptable amount of play in it. The synergy lasted quite a while for me but for $30 more I can have a lifetime warranty from TF.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have no urgent need for them, but I'm putting them on my before winter hits mod upgrade list unless there's any bad reports. I'ld do rare parts as my 1st choice but these are more in my budget range that I'ld prefer and I don't plan on going over 35s where rare parts would seem overkill for my needs.

Quick Reply: Re-designed Teraflex Ball joints?