Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Re-designed Teraflex Ball joints?

Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

No need for adjustment out of the gate, that's for after they start to wear.

On your nut dilemma- cutting it would be my go to or maybe even try a nut splitter since the castle nut will have an inherent weak design between the peaks.

The 34 vs 35mm- something isn't right there. They're certainly supposed to be a singular size (35 or 36....I get it mixed between the TJ and the JK) but how odd that they'd have the same style nut ready to go? I'd replace that at the dealer once it's all done. You'll have to pull the wheel but everything else can stay in place while you swap the nut. If the inevitable happens and you need to remove that nut down the road and you're off the beaten path, I'd rather you have the same size nuts as everyone else so anyone else can help you out. When I pack for a trail ride (talking tools) I pack for everyone else but stick with common sizes within the models I work on.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

That was my thought as well with the 34mm nut. I was going to just keep the AA 35mm socket and throw it in my travel tool bag, but now that I have a 34mm as well that makes things more complicated.

As a side note, no matter how many install videos I watched, or write-ups I read on JK ball joint replacement......none of them showed using an angle grinder and a chisel with hammer to get this nut off like this.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Resharp, Did your square screwdriver setup for the upper ball joint install look anything like this?
I didn't have an adapter that quite worked out to cut on an angle, and how to cut was another obstacle so I threw in the towel on that idea.

Also, is it ok if the upper ball joint pinion has movement in it? It was originally pretty tight but it fell on the ground by accident while I was trying to set up this stack of adapters and now it moves pretty freely.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Yes, that is exactly what I did.....with what looks like an identical screwdriver. Could use some thick washers as an alternative too if you have some handy.

Are you saying you dropped the whole BJ, and now the stud is all wobbly in it?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yes, that is exactly what I did.....with what looks like an identical screwdriver. Could use some thick washers as an alternative too if you have some handy.

Are you saying you dropped the whole BJ, and now the stud is all wobbly in it?
Yes, but now that I got it installed it is all firmed back up.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Houston........We got a problem!!!

My upper ball joint will not stay seated. Does this mean I need a knurled ball joint?

I'm supposed to be leaving tonight for my dune trip and this ball joint replacement has not been going well. This throws a serious dilemma into the mix if there's nothing else I can do.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That is not good. You think there's a chance it's the ball joint more than the C? only thing I could think of is trying a different ball joint, but if it's really the C itself, then knurled would be the path. I just don't see how an unmolested C that has only had the factory BJs would be giving you such a fit. If this was something things had been pressed in left and right it would be more understandable. Given you're in a pinch, maybe it's worth running to dealer to get a factory to slap in there just to get you on your trip, and deal with it when you get back? Ughhh That hurts to even say.....but given the circumstance.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Oh my God!!! I can't believe I did this.

Rookie mistake....I installed the upper ball joint in from the bottom of the C.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Oh my God!!! I can't believe I did this.

Rookie mistake....I installed the upper ball joint in from the bottom of the C.
ok, picture of this please! You are saying you pressed the part of the BJ that would be sitting on top of teh C, up in to the C from the underside? LOL......you must be thinking you bought you some Rare Parts BJs.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
ok, picture of this please! You are saying you pressed the part of the BJ that would be sitting on top of teh C, up in to the C from the underside? LOL......you must be thinking you bought you some Rare Parts BJs.
I literally just wasted about 4 hours due to this mistake. If you look at my previous posted pic, what you described is exactly what I have shown. The BJ is just hidden by all the adapters.
I have to tell you, it seems to work much better and the install is much easier when installed correctly.

I was up until 5am working on this sh*t.....I'm a bit of a zombie working on this currently.

Quick Reply: Re-designed Teraflex Ball joints?