Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-Gearing from 4:56 to 4:88

Old 05-26-2016, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Gearing from 4:56 to 4:88

I read a lot about 4:56 vs 4:88 and about people changing from higher ratios to 4:56, 4:88 or even lower. But what I haven't seen is anyone that's either questioned or changed from 4:56 to 4:88.

Well, I'm questioning this because I'm wondering if I'll feel that much of a difference in the way it drives. So to start, I have a 2013 JKR (not JKUR), 6-speed. When I bought it, it was setup with 4:10's. Right at 15k miles, I added a 2.5" lift and 35's. Soon after, I had the 4:10 gears changed to 4:56 because after looking at a gear ratio chart, I wanted my RPM's right back to where they were when it was stock. Sure enough, the RPM's were practically spot on and I was happy. Fuel mileage didn't change, which was great because it was my DD. One thing I've always done from the day I bought it through to today is start off from 2nd gear. I always felt like 1st gear was low enough that I didn't get very far very fast before I had to change to 2nd gear. It takes off pretty good from 2nd, unless I'm on an incline, which I then use 1st. So for 80k miles now, I've been starting off from 2nd gear for the most part.

So now I'm very close to retiring my JKR as a full time toy. The idea of changing to 37's is in the far back corner of my head, so most likely I'll be looking for the tallest 35's I can find for my next set of tires (which I'm really close as I've got just over 60k on my Duratracs and they measure a tall 33" or short 34").

So on to my question.....will I feel as much of a difference going from 4:56 to 4:88 like I did when I changed from 4:10 to 4:56? It's almost the same percentage ratio difference. I'm also thinking my 2nd gear will have stronger acceleration from a dead stop AND I'll be able to creep a little slower when I'm off-road in 2-wheel drive, in 1st gear.

What do y'all think??
Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
The idea of changing to 37's is in the far back corner of my head
5.38's, and skip the 35's and go straight to 37's.
I went to 35's because I was scared of 37's, and so I went 5.13's... turns out that on 35's damaged steering and axles...
May as well just have gone with 37's, which, I would want 5.38's for.
I will be going 37's when these 35's wear out, and, now I'll be going 5.38's...
Doing gears twice sucks, don't set yourself up to do them 3 times.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike H.
5.38's, and skip the 35's and go straight to 37's. I went to 35's because I was scared of 37's, and so I went 5.13's... turns out that on 35's damaged steering and axles... May as well just have gone with 37's, which, I would want 5.38's for. I will be going 37's when these 35's wear out, and, now I'll be going 5.38's... Doing gears twice sucks, don't set yourself up to do them 3 times.
Does 37's and 5:13's make for a good street ride? I mean, things here in TX are "just down the road a piece"....meaning you have to drive some distance to get to places to wheel (at least from where I live).
Old 05-26-2016, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't see the small change in ratio being worth the cost.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I know, I know.....I was trying to overlook the cost aspect of it and focus more on if there's enough similar benefit as I received from changing my 4:10's to 4:56's.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
Does 37's and 5:13's make for a good street ride? I mean, things here in TX are "just down the road a piece"....meaning you have to drive some distance to get to places to wheel (at least from where I live).
I'm running 5.13's and 35's right now.
I don't have any issues on the street at all. I rarely use 1st gear, but I'm fine with that, I'll give up 1st on the street for the control it provides in the rocks.
I live in Phoenix AZ, while it's not the most populated city in the land, it sprawls forever. Driving for an hour does not get me to any wheeling spot, I am always on the road a min. of 1.5 hrs to get to wheeling terrain. Currently, 70mph is 2900rpm, 75mph is 3100rpm. With today's lightweight rotating assemblies, over head cams, and the VVT I'm really not concerned about the motor living at those rpms. It's not like we a are driving 1980's OHV V8's with 2lb pistons slinging around anymore.
37's, and I'm guessing here, would drop those rpms by ~200. Absolutely livable, and I'm betting the the added weight, that little extra tire diameter would make 1st more of an option on the street again.

You say it's a 6spd(as is mine) so you do not have a tq convertor to help with the slow speed off road stuff. You really want to go as deep in the gearing as you can, yet still tolerate for road use.
Like I said, when I go to 37's I'll be going to 5.38's.

All of the above is based off the idea that you are going to wheel it in precarious situations... situations where most folks are going to look and say "there's no way a Jeep can go there". If this rig will be used more for light wheeling (body damage highly unlikely, roll over situations non-existant) then maybe selecting a gear set more focused on the highway is a better bet.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

100% agreement. Make a large swap or leave as is.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I'm running 5.13's and 35's right now.

All of the above is based off the idea that you are going to wheel it in precarious situations... situations where most folks are going to look and say "there's no way a Jeep can go there". If this rig will be used more for light wheeling (body damage highly unlikely, roll over situations non-existant) then maybe selecting a gear set more focused on the highway is a better bet.
I would suggest putting the gear money towards an 5:1 atlas giving you better off road gearing and leaving 5.13 with 37's.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest putting the gear money towards an 5:1 atlas giving you better off road gearing and leaving 5.13 with 37's.
Agreed....5.13 to 5.38 just isn't enough difference to warrant the cost.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Phoenix AZ, while it's not the most populated city in the land, it sprawls forever. Driving for an hour does not get me to any wheeling spot, I am always on the road a min. of 1.5 hrs to get to wheeling terrain.
What about the back way to Crown King? Table Mesa RD has atleast 5 tough great trails... some of the best are closer than you realize...

Quick Reply: Re-Gearing from 4:56 to 4:88