Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear D44 upgrade: ARB locker with 35 spline vs Yukon Zip with 30 spline.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear D44 upgrade: ARB locker with 35 spline vs Yukon Zip with 30 spline.

UPDATE:

Since I originally posted this, I completely altered my plan. I just pulled the trigger and ordered the following:

Front: Prorock 44 Unlimited, Extreme Duty, 4.88 gears with ARB locker, 35 spline RCV axles, 1310 yoke.

Rear: G2 Rockjock 60 rear, 4.88 gears with ARB locker, 35 spline alloy axles, 1350 yoke, Set 80 wheel bearings.

I just couldn't see putting money into my rear axle... even trying to cheap out by going with a Yukon Zip locker and 30 spline stock axles, I was still coming in over the 1/2 the cost of a brand new Rear 60.

Right now I am running 315/75/R17s duratracs with a 3" BDS lift.

I'm planning on upgrading to a Metal Cloak 2.5 lift in a month or two (with Rancho 9000 adj shocks)... after I install my Bushwacker flares that is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post below
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm about to pull the trigger on a major upgrade to my 2012 Sport with 3" lift and 35s.

I am getting a Dynatrac Prorock 44 for the front (ARB, RCVs, Prosteer), a Rubi transfer case, and I am going to put a selectable locker on the rear.

My only decision right now is what to put in the rear. I was originally going to put in an ARB with Alloy 35 spline axle shafts, but to keep the costs down, I am not considering putting in a Yukon Zip locker and just leaving my 30 spline axles.

My future plans are to replace the rear D44 with a Prorock 60 (within the next 18 months), so I'm not quite sure that the ARB and 35 spline axle investments are worth it, especially considering I travel for a living and my jeep will probably spend most of the next six months parked in an airport. (I do get summers off and have been hitting more and more trails).

I like the idea of the Yukon Zips warranty and I like the idea of not spending an extra $400 on axles immediately if I don't need them. I will get some spares before next summer if I do go this route.

If I go with the ARB and 35 spline, I will then lose the option of using my stock axles shafts as spares, and end up having to sell them on craigslist, but 35 spline axles shafts are stronger... right?

My main question is: should I go ARB + 35 spline ($1400) or Yukon Zip w/ stock 30 spline ($800)?

Misc data: I'm regearing to 4.88 at the same time.

Last edited by Roryslife; 09-12-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Either route should be fine on the front axle and I like your direction of doing a 60 rear. MB go the 30 spline route and get some rcv shafts and keep the factory as spares if you ever need warranty work on the rcv shafts.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Either route should be fine on the front axle and I like your direction of doing a 60 rear. MB go the 30 spline route and get some rcv shafts and keep the factory as spares if you ever need warranty work on the rcv shafts.

Sorry.. my post probably wasn't clear. My question was what to do with the rear until I get the Prorock 60.

My front is definitely going to be ARB with 35 RCV shafts in the Prorock 44 immediately.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Sorry, I would just wait on the 60. A re-gear, locker, and new shafts would run you almost half of what a new 60 is going to cost.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Sorry, I would just wait on the 60. A re-gear, locker, and new shafts would run you almost half of what a new 60 is going to cost.
I have to do the regear in the rear anyway to match the front, so doing the locker is not a big deal. And... you know how it is with jeep plans... my 18 month prorock 60 purchase could take 3 years. The big question is really 35 spline or 30 spline.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 spline and you can carry stock spares to get you home. 35 spline you can't unless you pony up for spare cromos or custom shafts.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The factory shafts on the jk are weak with 37" tires if you are going that route I would plan on doing new shafts anyway and would go with the 35 spline. If you are going to stay on 35's then the 30 spline will save you money you can put towards the 60. Another option would be to look for a rubi take off that is already geared 4.88. I typically see them go for $1000 or less.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I snapped stock 35 spline but had no issues on some nasty rocks with chromoly (ten factory) and it snapped because front ARB lost pressure (ARB compressor went out) and I dropped off a ledge of tires backwards loading the rear suddenly....

So ARB is nice I'm a Detroit locker fan in rear personally, 30 spline chromoly is quite a bit tougher than factory as far as locker goes a ARB rear would match the front nicely bit I'd do Detroit rearon a 4dr if its a 2dr go selectable because of wheelbase.....
either way you can't go wrong all quality stuff....

If you know your not going 40s and not wheeling hammers and a 60 will probably not happen I'd go
ARB , 35 spline chromoly, quality gears, (I'd still do Detroit but that's me)

Reason; heavy duty if you don't make the jump but want a solid peace of mind for years
You can get a good resell on this setup later if you decide to go d60
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm assuming your Jeep Is a non Rubicon.. If so why not just put a ARB in the rear to match the Front.

David
Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I'm assuming your Jeep Is a non Rubicon.. If so why not just put a ARB in the rear to match the Front.

David
At the point I wrote this post, my plan was to just save money until I went for a 60 rear axle.

Since then... a few hours later, I decided to just suck it up and go with a G2 Rockjock 60 rear end straight out of the gate. When I started adding up the D44 rear upgrade costs, it got so close to the G2 cost anyway.

My kids weren't college material anyway.

p.s. I am on your website right now... I see that you guys deal in trekarmor seat covers now. Might have to buy some.

Quick Reply: Rear D44 upgrade: ARB locker with 35 spline vs Yukon Zip with 30 spline.