Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rear dana 44 locker options

Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear dana 44 locker options

Ok I have the dana 44 rear on a unlimted x and I'm thinking of getting a rear locker instead of the factory LS. I've seen Arb is an option but are there any others? I have stock shafts and I would like to install the locker when I have my gears installed in mid august.

I've read tons of threads on this and I still have not seen many options?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
Ok I have the dana 44 rear on a unlimted x and I'm thinking of getting a rear locker instead of the factory LS. I've seen Arb is an option but are there any others? I have stock shafts and I would like to install the locker when I have my gears installed in mid august.

I've read tons of threads on this and I still have not seen many options?
Wish I could help, but all that I have is this stinkin' ARB
I never really even looked at anything else, so don't know about the Detroit for JK D44. OX ??
Old 07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

dont you have to get rid of the LSD and use an open rear before you can ad a locker. i also have a LSD and was told you cant ad a locker to it. any one? bueller?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I plan to take it out completely and put in a locker. It's ok but I prefer a locker since I've had one on a couple of trucks. They are just awesome.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by voodoojk
dont you have to get rid of the LSD and use an open rear before you can ad a locker. i also have a LSD and was told you cant ad a locker to it. any one? bueller?
Only for "lunchbox" locker that replaces spider gears, ie Aussie locker or Lock-rite and others. Detroit and ARB along with others are complete carriers in themselves. I'm not sure if you can add a lunchbox locker to the LSD--never thought of that. You can pick up a stock open carrier cheap though and add a locker or just get something like Detroit or ARB.

Last edited by kidjeep; 07-14-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What you need to do is swing on by VA. and exchange your LS rear for my standard 44. Then you can put any locker that you want in OX(forum sponsor), ARB, ETC.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think you can put a LB locker inside of a LSD, never seen it prolly won't. As far as options for lockers no clue, I have seen alot of guys running the ARB but other than that??? Good luck though. JOE>

P.S> I would like to know if the OX locker is coming out for the JK, I mean they have one for the 8.8
Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the factory locker in my X and I absolutely love it. If you have any LSD, then you will need a new carrier for an aftermarket (of factory) locker; a "lunchbox" (nor others) will not go into a LSD.

If you like the idea of a LSD and want a locker, consider a Detroit Locker. It is a ratcheting style that will always stay engaged; it will have some traits of the LSD (always engaged and providing traction) but serve its purpose as a locker as well.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you're looking for a switchable rear locker. The folks here have just about summed up your options: OX, ARB, or the Mopar. So now you've gotta decide whether you want a cable operated (sturdy, simple, less to go wrong with the system,) air operated (sturdy and giving you the benefit of having on-board air as well,) or electric (ummm.)
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
P.S> I would like to know if the OX locker is coming out for the JK, I mean they have one for the 8.8
OX is a forum sponsor and has lockers for the Dana 30 and 44 (non rubion model that comes with e-lockers). You will have to call OX to see if they have one to replace the LS. At this time NO ONE has lockers for the 44's equipped with the e-locker. So the question is....is the LS a weird size(lack of a better term) like the e-locker.
I'd say Give OX a call. The owner was very helpful and took the time to answer all my questions back when they were becoming a sponsor.

Oh and I wan't to say that I read a thread a while back where someone bought a LS out of a sahara and tried to put it in their open diff 44 and it wouldn't fit.....can't swear to it though.....If you search, you might locate that thread.

Wish I could be more helpful

Last edited by VBS4; 07-15-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: rear dana 44 locker options