Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear panhard (trackbar) question

Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Yom
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear panhard (trackbar) question

Hello from over the Pacific!

I have a pretty bland question I'm afraid. And its got nothing to do with being upside down (and even then its a matter of perspective!).

Here in AUS it seems that our JK (Right hand Drive) have the front panhard rod swinging from the Drivers side, or RHS, chassis rail. As you'd expect for the steering.

On the rear though it seems like our panhards are swinging from the passenger side, or LHS of the chassis.

Which side of the chassis does the American market (left hand drive) JK panhard rod swing from? I've seen a few pictures and so far I've seen equal amounts of swinging from the RHS and the LHS so I'm a little confused to be honest.

It makes a difference as I've just done an Old Man Emu (local products...grrr...found out I could have imported them from the USA for the same price I paid for them here. Yet they're built here in Australia. Funny that ) lift which has put the vehicle up to about 3" over standard and this has put the rear panhard rod at quite a steep angle. The way the rear end now communicates over our shitty roads now is not exactly what I'd call pleasant.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by Yom; 10-26-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

the rear mounts to the frame on the passengerside (our passengerside) and the front mouts to the frame on the drivers side (our drivers side)
Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

It hangs from the right of the frame on LHD.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Yom
JK Newbie

Thanks fellas.

So the rear end of the LHD and RHD are definately different.

Bugger!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Yom,

I still have faith the adustable panhard will mount without an issue based on it simply mounting on the other side with the diff still in the same spot (as opposed to the front which I have been advised is different in length and relative diff positioning.. so i'll have a useless front JKS panhard.. live and learn). I've been told to expect my adjustable JKS bars to arrive tomorrow so I will advise then if it fits or not.

Cheers,
B.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Yom,

I haven't fittted it yet but I have done a side by side comparison - the jks trackbar lines up perfectly, unlike the front which has differing angles and length.

Cheers,
B.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming the mounting brackets and bracket positions are identical (mirror image), then it will depend on the design of the Panhard rod. If it is not symmetric in the vertical plane (see below), then you run the risk of interference with the axle or bottom of the JK when it pivots.

If you put it on the ground with the fixed end rotated to the position it mounts, and the rod lays flat, then there is curvature in the vertical plane. Since the adjustable end rotates, this will make the fit easier. This is a simple test any parts vendor can perform to determine if it will work.

Quick Reply: Rear panhard (trackbar) question