Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear track bar shrank

Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear track bar shrank

OK, I'm stumped. After spending last weekend at the Jeep Jamboree in Uwharrie, my rear differential started leaking after hitting one too many rocks. I popped the cover off to reseal it and see if I can fix that problem. In doing so I removed the bolt on one end of my track bar so I could drop it out of the way and have easier access to the differential cover bolts. Now I'm trying to reinstall my track bar and the hole isn't anywhere close to lining up. Jeep has not moved since taking the bar off. How can a metal bar shrink 3/4"?

Any suggestions on how I can get it reinstalled?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The body shifted over? Look at the tires on both sides, one side should be closer to the body/flare than the other side?

If you have a ratchet strap you could try that. Or just have someone push on the body or rear bumper until you can line up the holes.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-13-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I posted, I saw that suggestion on another forum. Ran a strap between the passenger lower shock mount and the frame just above drivers side tire and easy peasy, lined up perfectly! Didn't realize how much it would shift by just removing one end.

Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give the body a good shove over.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'm sure you noticed already, but you can shift that rear back and forth with little effort with your hands. Definitely not like up front where you typically have someone turn the steering wheel a bit as it takes force to hold it in place.

Quick Reply: Rear track bar shrank