Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recalibrate after installing 295/65/18 on stock?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recalibrate after installing 295/65/18 on stock?

I have just installed some 295/65/18 Duratracs on my stock rims, should I recalibrate? I have a 2012 JKU and I have noticed a bit of a lag since I put them on. I have dropped quite a bit on the the gas milage, but I also just installed a Garvin Adventure rack at the same time. Would I see a bit of a gain if I recalibrate?
I have read that the dealership can void the warranty as well if I don't? Any truth to this? Also I have read that the dealership can recalibrate? Or should I just get a pro-cal or something else if I need too.

Some opinions and help would be muchly appreciated!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can get it flashed at the dealership. I think they charged me 20 bucks or so. The lag is because you went to a larger tire and that takes away power, regardless if it is the new almighty from the heavens Pentastar. The rack doesn't help either.

Now as for the question of improved mileage with just a reflash, that's where it gets funny. Right now, with oversize tires you are actually traveling farther that what your JK thinks it is, so that means it will show a decrease in mileage. There is an actual decrease in mileage because it is harder for your jeep to turn those tires. Then you reflash and it appears as thought your mileage went up when that isn't actually the case. It's just then showing accurate mileage. As for them voiding a warranty for no reflash, I could see them doing that because the odometer is off and you are actually going farther than what it indicates.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Makes sense and thanks for the info. I called the dealership and it is going to be 50 bones... Not bad, but more than I thought
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thought is you can take that $50 and dump it into a Flashpaq or AEV Procal and then you can reprogram other things as well... I have the Procal and though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Flashpaq, it does what I need it to, including recalibrating the speedo...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is what I was thinking... But just don't know about the whole warranty issue if I use that. I would definitely like use that money and buy a pro cal, just wouldn't want Chrysler to void my warranty.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

subscribed
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

What else can a flashpaq do over a procal? Can I buy one used in the for sale section?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NJBlackBetty
What else can a flashpaq do over a procal? Can I buy one used in the for sale section?
A flashpaq allows performance upgrades where as a procal doesn't however flashpaqs are not available for '11 and newer
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

And yes u can buy them used but make sure they unlock it for you by setting their jeep back to stock
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got ya. Pretty pricey brand new. Or the dealerships can do it for you? How about a place that specializes in tires?

Quick Reply: Recalibrate after installing 295/65/18 on stock?