Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

receiver mounted winch or permanently mount it in the front bumper?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi
Good deal. I knew you guys would have some good advice for me. Now the second checkmark comes in. I want to keep the factory fogs......don't really c anything aesthetically pleasing out there other than Rough Country's bumper with the additional stinger and D-ring mounts. Is this a viable option to just buy and install or should I design my own beast. I have access to a CNC waterjet and plasma cutting table and I'm a certified welder. Just a matter of supporting the industry or going DIY on this this thing. Went with a ACE rear bumper and tire carrier so kinda leaning to just buying one and bolting it on.
LOD makes a nice stubby front bumper with your choice of a stinger or one that's more of a grill guard. It's a steel bumper that's as light or a hair lighter than your factory (if you don't add either guard). AND you get to keep the factory foggers.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default front receiver

i normally keep the winch on the front but you never know where you might need it , I got stuck in 3 ft of snow 200ft down a shelf road and the other guys winch failed so I used the factory receiver in the back ...saved me a huge tow bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper 009.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	620428   Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper 008.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	620429  
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crager
i normally keep the winch on the front but you never know where you might need it , I got stuck in 3 ft of snow 200ft down a shelf road and the other guys winch failed so I used the factory receiver in the back ...saved me a huge tow bill
See, that's what tempts me to go that route. I thought I had my mind made up and then you went and just screwed me all up.....lol....decisions decisions!
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenRubi

See, that's what tempts me to go that route. I thought I had my mind made up and then you went and just screwed me all up.....lol....decisions decisions!
Do you want to give up approach angle, though, to leave your winch in place? If not, you're back to attaching the winch in real mucky situations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150806_125418.png
Views:	95
Size:	876.3 KB
ID:	620590
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mount a quality winch on your front bumper, don't wheel alone and spring for AAA plus. Problem solved.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I love my OR-Fab. It's very beefy, and you can get stubby, mid-width, or full, with a top mounted winch or recessed, options of no bar, bull bar, or stinger (on the stubby), also takes the factory fog lights, no problem.
Great looking jeep you've got there!!! Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: receiver mounted winch or permanently mount it in the front bumper?