Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended shocks for lift?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommended shocks for lift?

I have a 2016 JKU.
I was heavy into Mustangs for the past several years and Koni was the goto shock/strut. I am just getting back into Jeeps after an 18 year hiatus.
I plan to do the Teraflex 2.5 coil spring lift/leveling kit.
I can get shocks with it but I have heard that a lot of the shocks that come in these "kits" aren't that great.
I'm looking for a mid range shock that will keep the new springs under control.
Currently I have the (supposed) 31 inch tire/wheel package on the Jeep. The tires are actually 30.5 and I plan to go with 33's.
Also I do plan on going with a bumper/winch combo and rear bumper as well.
Recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2016, 05:16 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Fox Adventure series shocks. There are better and there are worse, but imo these shocks have a great ride for the money. If you are interested in a price on the whole set up your looking to do shoot me a pm.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Teraflex has some shocks that are tuned to their coils if you have to buy teraflex why not ask them about their turned shocks?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies,

I'm certainly not married to the idea of Teraflex.

I just want a kit that will level the Jeep and allow me to get 33's and a slightly firmer ride.

I want to do a coil spring lift, longer end links and better shocks. I just feel that the coil sping lift is a better way to do it.

Anything more than 2.5 inches and you start running into other issues that have to be corrected.

Dirtman I just read your sticky on Lifts and I apologize for starting a new "lift" thread. You have answered a lot of questions and confirmed a lot of things I was wondering about.

Last edited by CrashJK; 07-28-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't see yourself going above 33's check out our 2" SPORT system with the RS9000XL shock.
http://www.gorancho.com/products/sus...s66109br9.html

The 9000 is an adjustable shock that can give you a firm or soft ride with the turn of the dial.

Good luck in your choice.

Originally Posted by CrashJK
Thanks for the replies,

I'm certainly not married to the idea of Teraflex.

I just want a kit that will level the Jeep and allow me to get 33's and a slightly firmer ride.

I want to do a coil spring lift, longer end links and better shocks. I just feel that the coil sping lift is a better way to do it.

Anything more than 2.5 inches and you start running into other issues that have to be corrected

Just a bit of history, my last Jeep was a 99 TJ Sport running a 4 inch lift and 35's, Warn winch and homemade tube bumpers front and rear, Safari rack and snorkel but of course, the JK is a whole different animal.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Teraflex has some shocks that are tuned to their coils if you have to buy teraflex why not ask them about their turned shocks?
This post gave me good laugh. I think this the closest Dirtman has ever come to suggesting a TF product. I can almost feel his pain in his writing.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho
If you don't see yourself going above 33's check out our 2" SPORT system with the RS9000XL shock. http://www.gorancho.com/products/sus...s66109br9.html The 9000 is an adjustable shock that can give you a firm or soft ride with the turn of the dial. Good luck in your choice.
^^^^
No question this is your best option for your needs and price point.
I had 9000 and loved them
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother runs Teraflex 1251000 which is 2.5 spring/9550 shocks and has zero problems. absolutely loves it. He highly recommends it. Let me know if you need pricing or any more info about the lift
Old 08-02-2016, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want to go crazy look at the metalcloak "1.5" urban assault kit. I've been running it for a few months and it sits me right at about 2.25" on a light build. If you call the guys at metalcloak they may be able to help you do a custom kit that fits your needs better than their out of the box setup. I thought about going down the TF road and am glad I didn't. Oh and +1 on the fox adventure series, I'm extremely satisfied with my 2.0 resivoir shocks but if your on a bit more of a budget there the way to go.

Last edited by Jahamm88; 08-02-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll check into the Metalcloak stuff and see what I can come up with.
I know that this Jeep will spend 90% of its life on the pavement. It's my DD and will see snow and rain but mostly running me back and forth to work and all the other places I have to go.
It WILL see some mudholes and logging roads and maybe the occasional water crossing but that's it. Just being honest about my intended use.
If I were going to be wheeling I would set it up for that.
I looked at the Rubicon and Sahara but they just didn't fit my needs, or my wallet.
I do have one regret with my JKU... The dealer had two identical JKUs sitting side by side. I chose the one on the left.
I found out later that the one on the right had one difference... The max tow package. Man I wish I had seen that because it has 373 gears whereas I have 3:21s.
What I really want is to level the stance and stiffen the ride a little. It's a little too soft I think.
A front and rear bumper and winch are in the plans as well as 33's. Other than a few minor cosmetic things that's it for my plans. If I didn't already have a Warn 12000 lb winch I wouldn't have that.
Thanks again. I've got some more homework to do.

Quick Reply: Recommended shocks for lift?