Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regear or save for Axle Swap

Old 03-28-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Regear or save for Axle Swap

2016 JKU Sport with 30/44 axles and 3.21 gears. I eventually want to be on 37's (max size) so I was planning on saving up for the Dynatrac Trail Leader package to have a new front and beefed up rear to handle this. Comes with new gears (probably 4.88 or 5.13). My question is, is it worth the ~$1000 now to jump to 4.10 on 35's, or am I asking for a front axle explosion with that gear ratio due to pinion size on a 30? Anybody running 4.10 w/ 35's on the 30? It is 90% road life, and yes I know I will have to baby it for the other 10% until its upgraded.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2018, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Eh... I'd just put that $1K toward the axles you want. Run what ya brung until you've the coin to purchase the ones you want.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Agree with jedg. You're not asking for an explosion, but it's not worth the investment. If you could find a cheap set of rubi axles with 4.10s at a bargain price, that might be worth it in the meantime for an axle swap while selling yours to fund it, and then still plan on the bigger upgrade and sell the rubi axles later, but most people want too much for their rubi axles these days, and it's getting harder to find em with 4.10s from the factory. I'd just live with yours for now and save up. If you are talking years of saving up (like 2-3 years)....meh, maybe then $1k is worthwhile for a much better driving jeep in the near term.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

You guys are echoing what I was thinking, appreciate the quick responses. Any tips for convincing my wife I need to spend 7K more on the jeep?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by SheepyTheJKU
You guys are echoing what I was thinking, appreciate the quick responses. Any tips for convincing my wife I need to spend 7K more on the jeep?
Nupe, you can never justify it!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!! It has worked well for me so far, but she might be catching on.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07WrangX
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!!! It has worked well for me so far, but she might be catching on.
Thats how I got my bumper and took off the fenders. Discos and longer brake lines are for safety. Want to make sure the pedal stays firm! Safety first!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You can build the 'trail leader package' for less. Pick up a Rubi 44 second hand. Pick up a 35 spline ARB rear locker and 35 spline chromo shafts. Might as well pick up front and rear trusses while you're at it. If you can weld, burn the trusses on and bolt the 44 up front. Drive to a shop and let them regear both axles and toss that rear ARB in for you while they're at it.

-Used 44 ($1500-2K)
-Rear ARB ($1000)
-35 spline rear shafts ($420)
-Artec front armor kit ($2-300)
-JCR rear truss ($100)

Total cost: $3820 before gears and labor. $2k for gears and labor, $2500 on the very high end of the spectrum, and you're still well under the Dynatrac package.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
You can build the 'trail leader package' for less. Pick up a Rubi 44 second hand. Pick up a 35 spline ARB rear locker and 35 spline chromo shafts. Might as well pick up front and rear trusses while you're at it. If you can weld, burn the trusses on and bolt the 44 up front. Drive to a shop and let them regear both axles and toss that rear ARB in for you while they're at it.

-Used 44 ($1500-2K)
-Rear ARB ($1000)
-35 spline rear shafts ($420)
-Artec front armor kit ($2-300)
-JCR rear truss ($100)

Total cost: $3820 before gears and labor. $2k for gears and labor, $2500 on the very high end of the spectrum, and you're still well under the Dynatrac package.
I know there are ways to avoid just buying a new Dynatrac but honestly think I would rather buy new. Although I have welded before, I don't own a welder or have access to a shop. Also Aren't the Dynatrac 44's beefier then the stock Rubi's? All in all, I am sending my jeep to the shop for all its "major" work. I installed my own coils and shocks, will do any of the minor stuff but anything to do with the drivetrain or engine will be done by someone with much more skill and experience considering its a DD/weekend adventure jeep so it gets lots of miles.

Thanks for the input though, maybe eventually I'll have a shop cause that sounds much more fun!
Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SheepyTheJKU
I know there are ways to avoid just buying a new Dynatrac but honestly think I would rather buy new. Although I have welded before, I don't own a welder or have access to a shop. Also Aren't the Dynatrac 44's beefier then the stock Rubi's? All in all, I am sending my jeep to the shop for all its "major" work. I installed my own coils and shocks, will do any of the minor stuff but anything to do with the drivetrain or engine will be done by someone with much more skill and experience considering its a DD/weekend adventure jeep so it gets lots of miles.

Thanks for the input though, maybe eventually I'll have a shop cause that sounds much more fun!

Yeah the Prorock 44 does have thicker tubes, c's, and a little more diff clearance but that's about it. I mentioned the truss and gussets for this reason, as it adds serious beef to the stock 44 housings. Both axles share the same weak ball joints, so it's just difficult for me to see the $4000+ of value in a glorified Dana 44 when you can buy a 60 from Fusion4x4 for a wee bit more.

Fair enough! Just wanted to offer you a second opinion. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Regear or save for Axle Swap