Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regearing and adding Detroit Locker

Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regearing and adding Detroit Locker

I have an appointment Thursday to regear my JK to 4.88 and add a Detroit Locker in the rear. I am a little concerned that I can't seem to find Detroit Lockers listed as an application for my Jeep anywhere else. I hope it fits!

Also I was told my only options are 4.88 and 5.13 gears, but I believe I have seen 4.56 gears in some of your signatures. What gives?

I am a total rookie to these kind of mods. I think I'm getting nervous, but my installer has a great rep in this area.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would completely advise against getting a non-selectable locker in the rear of your Jeep. The Detroit will activate not only offroad, but on-road in every low-traction scenario you can imagine. If it's rainy, it'll activate, if it's snowy, it'll activate, if you go around a corner too fast, etc. etc.

Best case scenario, it'll be loud and annoying, worst case, it'll be dangerous as the JK wants to straighten out and regain traction while you're trying to turn.

I would highly advise an ARB or other completely selectable locker for the rear. It'll be invisible when you want it off and work as expected when you turn it on. If you must have a Detroit, put it in the front, where it'll only be on when you're in 4-wheel drive. It'll make turning a pita, though.

I'm sure others will post their opinions, but you should be fine with 4.88's and a six-speed as long as you don't want to run higher than 35's. Either way that's probably the lowest gear ratio you'd want to run in the front 30.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default I"ve done it

I went ahead and used the Detroit. I can see what you were talking about with the full time locker, but I don't actually mind it. It isn't quite as smooth in a parking lot or at low speed, but I can deal with it. It's a huge improvement over opens off road!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can only lead a horse to water... can't make 'em drink.

Let us know how it affects your tire wear after you get a few miles with it.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by owtcast
You can only lead a horse to water... can't make 'em drink.

Let us know how it affects your tire wear after you get a few miles with it.
X2 Big difference between a parking lot and on the pavement. Let us know if you survive your first ice storm.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default I live in Tennessee

I may take a few decades to get back to you. Last ice storm was 1985. Given that a Detroit seems better than trusting an air compressor.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Experiance at the mall

Originally Posted by seer1
X2 Big difference between a parking lot and on the pavement. Let us know if you survive your first ice storm.
You seem to know a lot about parking lots. Maybe you should trade for a minivan?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
You seem to know a lot about parking lots. Maybe you should trade for a minivan?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sorry

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Sorry. I got carried away. Maybe I'll go take a Prozac or something.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
I went ahead and used the Detroit. I can see what you were talking about with the full time locker, but I don't actually mind it. It isn't quite as smooth in a parking lot or at low speed, but I can deal with it. It's a huge improvement over opens off road!
Contrary to what all the naysayers preach, a Detroit Locker will work fine in the rear or the front. You just need to be careful and make all of your moves knowing that it's there. As long as you're careful, you'll be fine. Detroit Lockers have come in vehicles from the factory for years and they haven't hurt anybody yet. Stupidity is what always gets you. LOL

Quick Reply: Regearing and adding Detroit Locker