Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regearing my jk

Old 05-07-2016, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have open carrier for d-30 373 & up(numerically) I would be willing to sell. also limited slip rear d-44 trak-loc both loaded with 3.73's if interested.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regear man. Best upgrade ever. Went from stock 3.21 on new 34" tires (minivans packed with kids would smoke me off a stoplight) to 4.56 and HUGE difference in acceleration and even much better mileage if that even matters. Feels like a Hellcat engine swap
Old 05-07-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know about any lower than 4:10 cause I drive Long distance sometimes but for the guys that went from 3:21 to 3:73, did it mk that big of a difference?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your in Jane lew? I'll deliver my axles to your door lol
Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

JMHO of course, but you'd be better off losing that front D30. You can pick up a Rubi D44 housing for beans, sometimes complete. If you want to go 4.10, all you'll have to do is regear the rear housing, add whatever locker you want.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SoK66
JMHO of course, but you'd be better off losing that front D30. You can pick up a Rubi D44 housing for beans, sometimes complete. If you want to go 4.10, all you'll have to do is regear the rear housing, add whatever locker you want.
He's on a budget and that will cost a lot more in the long run. People don't typically let their rubi axles go for cheap. For some reason they think it is gold. He will need to find a rear elocker to match the front axles and he still might only find a rubi axle with 3.73. 4.10 is not standard, it's an option now. His tires aren't that big and although he hasn't said his off-roading habits, I'm assuming he doesn't do a lot. He will be fine with his stock D30.

OP you mentioned not going smaller then 4.10 because you sometimes drive long distance. What does driving long distance have to do with that decision. It will probably only help you more to go 4.56 actually. However since you are on a budget, I believe 4.56 gear sets are a little more expensive. I would actually consider 4.88 for your year and tire size. 4.56 and 4.88 seem to be the pretty common gear ratio change for the newer JKs and running about that same size tire.

Personally I wouldn't just go to 3.73. I test drove a 2012 last year with 3.73 gears and same size tires and it was a dog. It was like I was driving my 08 all over again with constantly switching gears on the interstate. Around town was much better though with the new 3.6 but the interstate ultimately kept me from getting it. I had had enough of that kind of driving in my 08. I would definitely go 4.10-4.88
Old 05-08-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
He's on a budget and that will cost a lot more in the long run. People don't typically let their rubi axles go for cheap. For some reason they think it is gold. He will need to find a rear elocker to match the front axles and he still might only find a rubi axle with 3.73. 4.10 is not standard, it's an option now. His tires aren't that big and although he hasn't said his off-roading habits, I'm assuming he doesn't do a lot. He will be fine with his stock D30. OP you mentioned not going smaller then 4.10 because you sometimes drive long distance. What does driving long distance have to do with that decision. It will probably only help you more to go 4.56 actually. However since you are on a budget, I believe 4.56 gear sets are a little more expensive. I would actually consider 4.88 for your year and tire size. 4.56 and 4.88 seem to be the pretty common gear ratio change for the newer JKs and running about that same size tire. Personally I wouldn't just go to 3.73. I test drove a 2012 last year with 3.73 gears and same size tires and it was a dog. It was like I was driving my 08 all over again with constantly switching gears on the interstate. Around town was much better though with the new 3.6 but the interstate ultimately kept me from getting it. I had had enough of that kind of driving in my 08. I would definitely go 4.10-4.88
I'll edit and say if he could find a set of Rubi takeoff axles that weren't trashed and had 4.10 in them for about $2000-2500 then that would be my obvious choice. But that's a big if.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

My .02 cents. Buy a locker for the rear so you dont pay labor twice. Dont spend any money on the d30. If you want to regear. Go for it. A web site called the grimjeeper has a good gear ratio calculator. I believe you will want to go lower than 4.10. 4.56 is probably a better ratio if you are really planning on towing anywhere near the rated tow capacity with your tire size.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

The driving long distance thing was more referring to mileage which I don't see being affected that much. I have read a few articles where 3:73 aren't recommended for the autos but do sufficient in the 6 spd. My off-road habits aren't extreme but I do on occasion. Nothing too extreme tho. Just trail riding as its my everyday and only ride currently.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bryns15jk
The driving long distance thing was more referring to mileage which I don't see being affected that much. I have read a few articles where 3:73 aren't recommended for the autos but do sufficient in the 6 spd. My off-road habits aren't extreme but I do on occasion. Nothing too extreme tho. Just trail riding as its my everyday and only ride currently.
I have a 2013 6 speed with 37" toyo rt tires (lightish tires). I ran 35's on the factory rubicon 4.10 gears and it was a dog. Planning on upgrading to 37's, I geared at 4.88. Its perfect in my opinion. Many people fail to realize that bigger tires = more rolling weight and a drain on horse power. If you are planning on increasing your tire size ever, 3.73 wont get the job done.

Quick Reply: Regearing my jk