Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing question

Old 06-19-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by borrongo
Anyone knows a good shop in the New York/New Jersey area where I can take my Jeep to get 5:13 installed?

I was going to let my uncle do it, but the more I read, the more I'm inclined to pay a proffessional.
Try this place, never had an issue with them.
ok4wd.com/

Last edited by wayoflife; 06-19-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: please do not post direct links to nono-sponsors
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Well I wasn't planning on doing it myself but I don't think I would have any problems with it. I am a Georgia power mechanic so I have been to school and have plenty of experience in rebuilding gearboxes on equipment in the power plant. But thats not the issue here I was just asking what all I really needed to look for. For instance do I really need an overhaul kit? the jk doesn't have but 3500 miles on it now.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would go with just and install kit with a pinion bearing unless you are replacing the carrier with a locker then get all new bearings.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcrcan25
you will need overhaul kits too... please tell me you have a qualified professional doing it?!?!? I have installed bumpers, lift, CAI, etc. etc... gears are for a pro...not even just any mechanic
it is not for the casual wrencher!! I agree that the fun of a jeep is doing things yourself.... like I said earlier...i did my on lift...bumpers...on board air.. and much more.... this is not one... I wouldnt even let most mechanics do it unless they have regeard several jks...not even just other gears... I want someone who has done jks
I really don't understand why people are soooo afraid of these. The learning curve on this task is so sharp, that I think it's too beneficial to pass up. There are a ton of little things to know that make the job easier, so talking to someone who KNOWS what he is talking about is a must, but it's not a doomed task. I bought my Jeep with the gears in it, installed PROFESSIONALLY by a certain well known parts supplier. They didn't last me 2 weeks. I blew up my front differential, and did a lot of reading on wear patterns and whatnot and determined they were not set up correctly. I looked at prices of having it done and decided I could do it almost 3 times with the cost of parts versus paying someone to do it, and then have first hand knowledge of the task. It's one of those baptism by fires, I think. Read read read read read, do it, maybe screw it up, or get it right, then you know all the questions to ask to make it easier the next time. It is actually really retarded how you have to set carrier bearing pre load, and backlash, wish the designers of these axles would have put just a little more thought into it. Anyways, knowing how to do this makes you pretty invaluable in the community, cause there is always going to be someone who wants to do it and learn how, and you can have a rough, working understanding. Just my two cents, I did mine, and glad I did. I was a first time go at this station.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by No1AP
I really don't understand why people are soooo afraid of these. The learning curve on this task is so sharp, that I think it's too beneficial to pass up. There are a ton of little things to know that make the job easier, so talking to someone who KNOWS what he is talking about is a must, but it's not a doomed task. I bought my Jeep with the gears in it, installed PROFESSIONALLY by a certain well known parts supplier. They didn't last me 2 weeks. I blew up my front differential, and did a lot of reading on wear patterns and whatnot and determined they were not set up correctly. I looked at prices of having it done and decided I could do it almost 3 times with the cost of parts versus paying someone to do it, and then have first hand knowledge of the task. It's one of those baptism by fires, I think. Read read read read read, do it, maybe screw it up, or get it right, then you know all the questions to ask to make it easier the next time. It is actually really retarded how you have to set carrier bearing pre load, and backlash, wish the designers of these axles would have put just a little more thought into it. Anyways, knowing how to do this makes you pretty invaluable in the community, cause there is always going to be someone who wants to do it and learn how, and you can have a rough, working understanding. Just my two cents, I did mine, and glad I did. I was a first time go at this station.

sure sounds great.... You talked me into it... anyone want to volunteer their 35k Rubicon for me to give it an ole whirl?????

just assumed since the guy was asking what he needed...then he didnt need to try himself... just trying to offer helpful advise... as
i said before...im all for doing things yourself.. and if my was and old heap...then fire away!!!!

Last edited by jcrcan25; 06-19-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Give these write-ups a good read-through.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...8112-It-begins....
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing

As far as regearing yourself or letting a pro do it goes - it is something that I will try eventually, just not while this is my only vehicle.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Spend the money get the rebuild kits. No matter what new bearings should always go in. Then there is no worries. When u build rears everything should always be fresh
Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

sure sounds great.... You talked me into it... anyone want to volunteer their 35k Rubicon for me to give it an ole whirl?????

just assumed since the guy was asking what he needed...then he didnt need to try himself... just trying to offer helpful advise... as
i said before...im all for doing things yourself.. and if my was and old heap...then fire away!!!!
Your sarcasm is not lost on me. If you don't want to do it with yours, that's fine, but don't feel like you need to tell everyone else they can't/shouldn't because you won't. And you can't judge by the questions he asked, I had the same ones.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
As far as regearing yourself or letting a pro do it goes - it is something that I will try eventually, just not while this is my only vehicle.
That adds another dynamic, if mine was my only ride, I wouldn't have either.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the info guys, I have no doubt that I could do this myself but I have a good mechanic that does my work for very reasonable prices, so it isn't worth my time to do it myself. I have a very busy schedule and have too much other stuff going on right now to attempt it.

Quick Reply: Regearing question