Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removing stock tire carrier???

Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing stock tire carrier???

Bored this morning and want to take off my stock spare tire carrier....the carrier is easy, how do I unhook the wiring harness?>

Scott
Old 12-06-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I remember correctly it has a plug in connection. You may have to remove the plastic covers to get access into the tailgate to pull the wire through. Reuse or find a plug to fill the hole. You ay have to build or relocate the 3rd brake light depending on your local laws.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

It does have a plug in connection. It is inside the tailgate under the plastic beauty cover.

One warning...they will give you a ticket here in Florida is you remove the CHMSL brake light and don't replace it.

Are you putting on a tire carrier bumper to replace the stock tire carrier. If so, there are several alternatives for the CHMSL. Here is mine -- $2.00 red clearance light purchased at Walmart tied into the stock wiring.

If you are just removing the tire carrier and don't plan on carrying a spare on the back, I'm sure you could rig up a bracket to attach to the tire carrier mounting holes and put some sort of CHMSL out there.

Last edited by Paul R; 12-07-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how or if you're reusing the stock harness, the plug is inside the cover on the light tower. Remove the stock carrier and while it's hanging remove the four torx screws from the back of the tower. You can unplug it there.

Quick Reply: Removing stock tire carrier???