Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing the two catalysts converters under the JK

Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClimbIceNRock
Does anybody know the dia. of the piping the stock cats are on? I have two 2.5 inch race cats laying around I wanted to put on the jk.
It's 2.5''
Old 04-15-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Holy old thread, Batman.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removed the back two cats/resonators

I recently had several codes and for the life of me couldn’t figure out what was going on. After a lot of research and talking to my local mechanic he recommended to take it to the dealership. I have almost 150K and bought my Jeep new in 2008 but thought I was going to get robbed at the dealership, luckily the lifetime warranty is alive and well. They fixed three oil leaks, covered, had to replace my radiator, not covered, replaced my left manifold cover, covered and told me my catalytic converters needed to be replaced, not covered (these are covered up to 80K). I had everything done except the catalytic converters, I wasn’t convinced because of the manifold and thought it might be the cause of my code being thrown. I didn’t have any codes come on after almost a week but my Jeep didn’t have the power that I was use to (not that there is much anyways)... I took it down to a local muffler shop and he confirmed my front two converters were bad. He cut the four out and replaced them with two high flow converters and left the 4 sensors in with 2 in front and 2 behind. I have only had it back for about a day but I can tell the old ones were restricting the flow. I already had a cat-back flowmaster muffler but that low rumble is now back. I haven’t had any thrown codes and it drives like the Jeep I bought almost 10 years ago. I will post if I get a code any time soon. Oh and I saved about $300-400 hundred by cutting it down to two catalytic converters.
The following users liked this post:
Jeepjirau (12-25-2023)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In going to tackle this job next weekend. I am going to remove my fender flares for easier access. I’ve read the how to already. I’m just looking for any good tips on replacing my cats 07 jk 3.8. I’m just going to cut or remove the old cat to exhaust manifolds. Ive read the original manifold is one piece. So I intend to cut it when removing to break it down since it’s trash. I will also remove tranny bracket and crissmember. I’ve ordered a aftermarket catalytic Converter so I know the fit isn’t gonna be good. But I can work with metal so I don’t think I will have any installation issues. Maybe a little modifying to get a good fit. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jdbwood
In going to tackle this job next weekend. I am going to remove my fender flares for easier access. I’ve read the how to already. I’m just looking for any good tips on replacing my cats 07 jk 3.8. I’m just going to cut or remove the old cat to exhaust manifolds. Ive read the original manifold is one piece. So I intend to cut it when removing to break it down since it’s trash. I will also remove tranny bracket and crissmember. I’ve ordered a aftermarket catalytic Converter so I know the fit isn’t gonna be good. But I can work with metal so I don’t think I will have any installation issues. Maybe a little modifying to get a good fit. Any help is appreciated thanks.
I've removed the cats to get the trans and clutch out, and you're right - it's one piece from each exhaust manifold outlet all the way to aft of the crossmember. Since you're going to weld in some new cats, I'd think about re-using the stock tubing and adding some connections so it can come apart in about 3 pieces instead. The O2 sensors are delicate, and it's hard not to bang them up a bit when removing/installing the cats/tubing as a whole assembly. Recommend removing them before removing anything else and set them aside. One of mine failed right after installation, so that's the story I'm sticking with...

If you have time, post some pics of what you come up with.
The following users liked this post:
Jeepjirau (12-25-2023)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default One year later...

Originally Posted by JKCOS
I recently had several codes and for the life of me couldn’t figure out what was going on. After a lot of research and talking to my local mechanic he recommended to take it to the dealership. I have almost 150K and bought my Jeep new in 2008 but thought I was going to get robbed at the dealership, luckily the lifetime warranty is alive and well. They fixed three oil leaks, covered, had to replace my radiator, not covered, replaced my left manifold cover, covered and told me my catalytic converters needed to be replaced, not covered (these are covered up to 80K). I had everything done except the catalytic converters, I wasn’t convinced because of the manifold and thought it might be the cause of my code being thrown. I didn’t have any codes come on after almost a week but my Jeep didn’t have the power that I was use to (not that there is much anyways)... I took it down to a local muffler shop and he confirmed my front two converters were bad. He cut the four out and replaced them with two high flow converters and left the 4 sensors in with 2 in front and 2 behind. I have only had it back for about a day but I can tell the old ones were restricting the flow. I already had a cat-back flowmaster muffler but that low rumble is now back. I haven’t had any thrown codes and it drives like the Jeep I bought almost 10 years ago. I will post if I get a code any time soon. Oh and I saved about $300-400 hundred by cutting it down to two catalytic converters.
are you have any code,you are happy? I have 2007 manual and I want to remove the back cats
Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you get rid of the o2 sensors all together? I can’t remote start because of this catalytic efficiency code... frustrating.

-Ben
Old 04-12-2019, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by BCCBFarris
Can you get rid of the o2 sensors all together?
You sure can. They're just superficial items manufactures put on cars these days to justify charging higher MSRPs.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have anything better to do? Or just follow me around the forums?

please quit harassing me.

-Ben
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

It sounds to me like maybe you need to replace your catalytic converter.

Quick Reply: removing the two catalysts converters under the JK