Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Teraflex Flex Joint and Clevite Bushing with Johnny Joints on Long Arms??

Old 10-02-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Teraflex Flex Joint and Clevite Bushing with Johnny Joints on Long Arms??

Has anyone modified their Teraflex Long Arm lift to include Johnny Joints at each end of the long arms rather than Teraflex's Flex Joint and Clevite bushing's at each end? I have a 4" LCG and am currently rebuilding my arms, ordered the complete rebuild kit from Northridge for $300 and change

This is my daily driver, it's not wheeled overly hard but I tore in to the rear passenger side tonight and all three of my flex joints, two upper and one lower were shot. Not overly impressed with this as I only have 34000 miles on the lift with less than half of this spent off road. Going to spend the next day changing the rest out but I would like to be rid of these the next go around if possible. I thought about buying a different set of arms but I am assuming they will not fit the Teraflex Long Arm mounts that I welded to my frame.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too would like to know the answer to this
Old 10-03-2014, 12:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of joints will thread into those arms. That doesn't seem unreasonable for them to wear out in that period of time.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Perhaps it's not unreasonable? I am not sure. I have read that Currie JJ's do not wear out though as they have a superior design. I have also read that having JJ's at both ends of the arms is a better setup than having only one rod end and a bushing at the other.

I love my TF lift, it has performed well for what I use it for, I just like to have the most robust and maintenance free setup available as time is precious and I waste enough of it doing maintenance on all of my junk.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Menard666
Perhaps it's not unreasonable? I am not sure. I have read that Currie JJ's do not wear out though as they have a superior design. I have also read that having JJ's at both ends of the arms is a better setup than having only one rod end and a bushing at the other.

I love my TF lift, it has performed well for what I use it for, I just like to have the most robust and maintenance free setup available as time is precious and I waste enough of it doing maintenance on all of my junk.
JJ's require maintenance, but sure, they can last longer. The won't ride as nice either. MetalCloak joints are great and ride great, but require periodic maintenance of removing, cleaning, and lubing the bushings. I'm assuming that can be done with the TF? That would make a difference. Also, upgrading to 9/16" shouldered bolts will definitely help reduce wear.

There are a lot of factors at play, including environmental. Tire size and alignment is are additional factors. For the average person, 34k miles is almost 3 years of driving. Most bushings wear out, but most people don't fix them and then post on here about not being able to fix their death wobble.

Lastly, did you call TF? They'd probably help you out on price if they feel it was premature.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put 36k on in less than two years. I run the grade 8 9/16"s bolts in all of my control arms. I have never been in a rig that had all JJ's so I can't comment on ride quality vs my current setup. I was simply looking to see if anyone had done this to their teraflex lcg. I am assuming no one has. I did not contact teraflex to ask for replacements.

Quick Reply: Replacing Teraflex Flex Joint and Clevite Bushing with Johnny Joints on Long Arms??