Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods advice

Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods advice

I have a 08 unlimited auto and I use it as my sales vehicle for work which is ~3000 miles/month. I would like to do light off roading for now so I have a list of mods that i think would enable off raoding while still keeping the ride good (for a jeep). Feel free to suggest comments or variations as I am new to Jeeps.

Rubicon Express 2" BB
33" BFG A/T
Superlift quick discos
LOD sign front mid-width / rear bumpers
mopar rock rails
Old 12-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the RE 2" BB and it works beautifully with 33's for light to moderate offroading, It can do more than my pucker string is capable of handling.

Depending on how picky you are with axle centering, you may want to consider adjustable trackbars. I needed them, others didnt with the same lift, so hard to say how much yours will shift.

Other than that, I think you have a good list.

Oh, i think my Jeep rides substantially better with the BB and monotube shocks than it did stock
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I have wheeled BFG AT's & love them. Great choice for a DD.

Disco's are a great idea.

The only thing I would change would be to go with the TF 2.5 BB. It is the most complete kit at a very reasonable price. You can get the shock extensions or spend more on shocks. Also, the kit includes brake line drop down brackets, bump stops and a rear track bar bracket.
If you decide to go with bigger tires in the future, you will have the flexibility. (I was running BFG AT 315/70/17)

Good luck!

Last edited by shredX; 12-31-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

I have the Rough Country 4" lift on my 2dr. and it looks great and drives great. I guess I will eventually need new driveshafts since mine is a 2dr. but so far so good. I did add adjustable control arms and that helped me quite a bit with my lift to get the caster right and also changed my pinion angle. Maybe that's why I don't have any driveshaft probs. I think the taller lifts look better. Especially when pulling into a parking lot beside a nice looking Jeep and I sit as tall or taller than them. Even as tall as some pick-ups!!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Eternal ***erator

for the record, the RE BB does have bumpstops, and extended lines for 2" arent necesary, i have plenty of room on mine for flex.

But I agree with shredx, if there is any possibility of going bigger in the future, the TeraFlex kit would be a better choice as it could be upgraded more easily.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 12-31-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a great mod list, I ran bfg all terrains on several vehciles and loved them all. Great first mod set, but be prepared for more modding, its addicting.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jeepetto
I have a 08 unlimited auto and I use it as my sales vehicle for work which is ~3000 miles/month. I would like to do light off roading for now so I have a list of mods that i think would enable off raoding while still keeping the ride good (for a jeep). Feel free to suggest comments or variations as I am new to Jeeps.

Rubicon Express 2" BB
33" BFG A/T
Superlift quick discos
LOD sign front mid-width / rear bumpers
mopar rock rails
It hink thats a pretty good plan. I don't think you need to go with ATs even at that mileage. I run my jeep for work and my MT KMs did just fine. In fact, after 20k miles I changed them but they still have at least 75% tread life.

If you're going to use your jeep for work, I just recommend you keep it mild. Don't be a jackass like me and go nuts. You open yourself up to too many problems.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

There have to be people in MD that will let you ride in their Jeep. But that's what I would do to figure out what lift I wanted. I would (and did) get the OME lift It rides real nice. Also, skip the Mopar rock rails. Get something with steps like the Hanson's or Pure Jeep and grab handles for your passengers.

Quick Reply: mods advice