Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Retarded Gear Question

Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retarded Gear Question

OK, I'm switching from stock 32's to 33.81's (Goodyear MTR 305/70/17). First, from what I've been reading, everyone that went to 35's needed at least 4.88 gears. What do you think about the 33.81's??? Re-gear???

And here's the retarded question: I assume I have to buy 4.88's for both the front and rear, right? Because Northridge 4x4 offers the individual gears for some reason, then an "overhaul" kit, and also a "install" kit. What's the difference??
Old 09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Gear both axles

Yep, you need to gear both axles. If not, you most likely will cause serious damage to your running gear if you put it in 4wd. The overhaul and install kits contain the shims, crush sleeves and bearings required to set the differential up correctly.

I'm not sure which kit (overhaul or install) is more complete, as I haven't ponied up for this mod on my JK yet but you will need to purchase one kit or the other for each axle as well as the gear set for each axle. The Kits and Gears will vary depending on what axles your rig has. JKs have either a Dana 35 or 44 in the rear and Dana 30 or 44 up front depending on the model and option packages.

I did personally regear both my YJ and TJ, so I've been in there and have some frame of reference. I'm sure someone else here who knows more than I will make a suggestion as to which kits you should get.

One last thought... With previous wranglers, this statement would be irrelevant, but if your rig is 2wd only, then you won't need gears for the front, just the rear.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default One more thought....

Depending on what your current gear ratio is, you may not need to regear.

33's vs 32's may feel slightly more sluggish with no gear change, or you may not be able to tell at all depending on what type of driving you do.

Personally, I'd go for the 4.88 because I tow with my rig, but if you have a Rubicon with the 4.10 axles you might be perfectly happy with no change.

You probably should mount the new wheels and tires and see if you need more power then consider regearing. I know there are guys out there running 35's on 3.21 gears, so there is no hard and fast rule that says you have to regear.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd have to agree with skydyvyr on that you may want to wait on re-gearing until after you've had a chance to drive your Jeep with the new tires especially if you have a 6-speed. You may find that your ride is tollerable.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, if you have 4.10 gears I would wait. You may notice a little difference in power but nothing compared to going up to a 35" tire. Save your coin and add a little more RPM when you take off from a light.

Master kit includes all pinion and carrier bearings and races, new bolts for the ring gear, axle seals ( for D30 I can't remember for D44), pinion and carrier shims, oil slinger, cover gasket, pattern paint, crush sleave, pinion nut and seal, brush.

Setup kit usually only contains carrier bearings, crush sleave, marking paint, pinion nut some have the pinion bearing depends on the manufacture.

If the vehicle is new than you save money and buy the setup version old than you want to replace all the bearings while your in there. All of our jeeps are to new to really consider the master kit. The only advantage to buying the master kit, which is what I do if you are doing your own gears is you can pull off your old bearings and grind them out for setup bearings. Or if you detonate a bearing while trying to pull it off you have an extra lying around.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

The dealership I bought my X from put on a 4" lift and 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's. But they also regeared to the 4.10's.

I could always have more pickup and power but my ride doesn't feel sluggish at all (for a Jeep).
Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Drive it first... then see if you want to regear... My opinion would be: if you do decide to regear, go w/4.88's if you have a manual or 5.13's if you have the auto... you won't be dissappointed!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the advice - I do have the auto with the 4.10s, and no doubt I'm going to wait to see how I like the power and mileage. that's one of the reasons I canned the 35s and went to a slightly shorter tire

also, i do tow a boat, so i guess i'll have to see how that is as well
Old 09-05-2007, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by murray8144
thanks for all the advice - I do have the auto with the 4.10s, and no doubt I'm going to wait to see how I like the power and mileage. that's one of the reasons I canned the 35s and went to a slightly shorter tire

also, i do tow a boat, so i guess i'll have to see how that is as well
If you tow a boat w/your JK and you plan on bumping up the tire size, my guess is you are definitely going to want to regear
Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
If you tow a boat w/your JK and you plan on bumping up the tire size, my guess is you are definitely going to want to regear
hmm...that thought hadn't crossed my mind. My father is giving me his old 17' Whaler which I'll be towing with the Jeep...

What exactly does regearing entail? Can I get this done at the dealership and at what cost?

Quick Reply: Retarded Gear Question