Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Rack install ???

Old 07-14-2018, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Rack install ???

Guys, I need some help with my Rhino Rack install. More specifically, the rear backbone brackets. I laid them out and marked the holes to drill but they just don't seem right. Perhaps I'm over thinking it (I have a tendency to do that) but I don't want to screw up these holes... I looked on-line to check how the brackets aligned with the corner/lip above the window and each picture looks different.

I'm looking for any advice from people that have installed the back bone or have it on their JK.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess mine might be a little wonky but everything lines up and doesnt leak. I was also probably drinking while drilling so I might be lucky mine doesnt leak. I can post pics if you like. Youll probably be fine, if not silicon.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by akpostal
I guess mine might be a little wonky but everything lines up and doesnt leak. I was also probably drinking while drilling so I might be lucky mine doesnt leak. I can post pics if you like. Youll probably be fine, if not silicon.
Thanks for the motivation. I went for it today and it seemed to turn out pretty well.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

When you lined them up, did it seem strange that the back didnt sit flat on the back of the top? That is normal. I called Rhino when I installed mine a couple weeks ago and its supposed to be like that. The Gap (pictured if you can see it) is intentional because the roof slopes down and the Backbone system is making sure the bracket sits level with the others I guess. I have also had 0 leaks from mine. I found the easiest part of that install was the drilling (minus forgetting to wear gloves and the fiber glass ripping my hands apart lol). The 3 vortex bars was a PITA.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happy you got it on there. I put mine on my 2dr about a month ago now, and it was a legitimately scary experience. I'm really pleased with the outcome (Pioneer tray on mine) but at the same time MAN I wish things lined up just a little bit better. The brackets were uncomfortable, but the try fit only with some serious persuasion.

(No leaks to report either though)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

So I do have small leaks on the rear mounts. The top through hex bolts do drip, perhaps I didn't install them far enough back... I will pull them and apply silicon, hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default spacers?

Originally Posted by LAFF757
When you lined them up, did it seem strange that the back didnt sit flat on the back of the top? That is normal. I called Rhino when I installed mine a couple weeks ago and its supposed to be like that. The Gap (pictured if you can see it) is intentional because the roof slopes down and the Backbone system is making sure the bracket sits level with the others I guess. I have also had 0 leaks from mine. I found the easiest part of that install was the drilling (minus forgetting to wear gloves and the fiber glass ripping my hands apart lol). The 3 vortex bars was a PITA.

hey stupid question- but did your legs come with any spacers of any kind? im looking at upgrading to the newer style legs from the old plastic ones and havent heard back from RR yet.

thanks!!

Quick Reply: Rhino Rack install ???