Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripp failed emissions

Old 02-02-2017, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the Ripp S/C on my 2008 for 4 years now, maybe 5 hard to remember. Never had an emissions issue here in Georgia and have always used the Ripp supplied tune.

Last year I got a wild hair after reading some good things about a custom tune and bought one from a local company. It seemed a little better than the Ripp tune and I was fairly happy with it. When it came time to get my emission check done, I didn't pass due to a "readiness" issue. Basically I had a cat sensor and an o2 sensor that were not "ready" to take readings...therefore I didn't pass emissions although every thing else on the jeep passed. I was asked if I had cleared codes or changed batteries recently and I told them I had, in fact, swapped batteries. The emissions guys said that cleared all the codes and to drive it 100 miles or so and it sensors would become "ready".

Drove 100 miles, back to emissions, still not ready
Drove 300 or so more miles, back to emissions, still not ready
Drove 300 or so more miles, back to emissions, still not ready

At this time I'm thinking something is up with my computer, and I am really kind of pissed. This is not my DD, I have expensive Pitbull Tires that I had just put on and I'm ragging them out on the road just to pass this stupid emissions test. Took the jeep to local dealer and they checked the sensors and said they were fine..drive it more.

300 more miles, still not ready.

Took the jeep to another dealer. Told them the issue and they said that maybe the computer needed to be re-flashed. Set the computer back to stock, they re-flashed and then put the tune back on(this was the custom tune as it was the only one on my programmer). All this time, I never really gave the tune I had been using any thought as my jeep had always passed emissions in the past but I forgot about the tune.

Drove 100 miles or so after the re-flash and it still did not pass emissions. It was as this time, in a moment of clarity, that I remembered the custom tune. Dug out my old Ripp tune, installed it, drove 60 miles and passed emissions.

That is one damn long story to tell you to work with Ripp on their tune. They will help you out. If you want a custom tune for some specific reason make sure they know you have to pass emissions, etc. I didn't even go back to the custom tune. When I put the Ripp tune back on it was perfectly fine and realized I probably didn't gain much of anything from the custom tune.
The following users liked this post:
Bludoe (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Ripp failed emissions