Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp Supercharger Question

Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 2.5 - 3K I would buy it tomorrow too (even 3.5 - 4K is doable)! Unfortunately I can't afford to just drop 5K thou...haha

Ripp, how much gain did you get from running the MBRP exhaust with your supercharger? I know in stock form the Jeep gets a 9 HP gain from running it. I'd imagine that you get even greater gains with the supercharger?

Thanks again for answering all my questions, this type of customer service really makes a difference!

Last edited by tpm152; 09-24-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm...For 2.5 - 3 k it would already be on...
Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

***Disclaimer*** this is just a thought from someone who has never studied economics, but,

I was thinking that 300 units after a significant time on the market, does not seem like too much gross sales, never mind profit (300*5,000=1.5mil in sales). Well there are a whole lot of Jks out there and 300 is a drop in the bucket as far as members on this forum go.

So it probably won’t happen any time soon, but sounds like the producers of superchargers for the JK and the bean counters should reconsider what would bring them a higher overall profit - selling a lot more SC's at a lower price and at a lower cost of production (because more are made) vs. a high priced "luxury" item with low sales.

Kia seems to be doing pretty well with the former; the latter does not work so well in this type of economy.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

is there any way to add a poll to this thread? We could make the question "How much would you pay and still buy the Ripp SC kit the next day" or something along those lines. Make the cut-offs 3 - 4.5K in increments of 500 (as they already know the answer to 5K and Im pretty sure just about EVERYONE would get it for 2.5K )
Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

I think you might be surprised at how much more you can do offroad with a supercharger. More hp and torque...

The 4.0 TJ used to be able to go up hills my JK couldn't but now it's no problem. You cannot tell from the video, but this hillclimb was one of the steepest at Beasley Knob. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtyRAsewu0

Couldn't make it up "the mudslide" at Durhamtown on two separate trips before the S/C install. Now, I make it up every time... http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/s...e5joeblob3.flv

Here's the dyno too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFstATyjbU

Originally Posted by Marine
Agreed...I just went and looked at the price.. $5K for this kit?? I think for the difference in price I would pay the difference for a 5.7 or 6.1L Hemi with 400HP..

If It was $2500 to $3000 absolute most I would buy one tommorrow....I HATE not being able to pull eisenhouer tunnel on I70

I also agree, low end I don't need it offroading (what 4:1 and low gears are for)...what I want is power to pull the passes in the mountains.

Last edited by JoeBlob; 09-24-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Why is it that...A kit for a T J is 1/2 the price of the J K...Just curious...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not saying it is the case, but I would think that in a similar circumstance a marketer may conclude that if JK owners have all purchased new jeeps they would be more willing to drop 5 grand on a performance upgrade than a TJ/Cherokee owner whose Jeep is only worth 5 grand or less at this point.

Despite its higher cost, the hemi may be the pitfall to this line of thinking as one ends up with a new motor and tranny while avoiding the "perceived risk" of motor issues down the line.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

any possibility of a group buy discount from Ripp through the forum?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
***Disclaimer*** this is just a thought from someone who has never studied economics, but,

I was thinking that 300 units after a significant time on the market, does not seem like too much gross sales, never mind profit (300*5,000=1.5mil in sales). Well there are a whole lot of Jks out there and 300 is a drop in the bucket as far as members on this forum go.

So it probably won’t happen any time soon, but sounds like the producers of superchargers for the JK and the bean counters should reconsider what would bring them a higher overall profit - selling a lot more SC's at a lower price and at a lower cost of production (because more are made) vs. a high priced "luxury" item with low sales.

Kia seems to be doing pretty well with the former; the latter does not work so well in this type of economy.
You have to recoup the cost all the R and D that Ripp did, and do it fairly rapidly. They dont have time to nickel and dime it over a long period time like for instance 5 years. I doubt they are that highly capitalized, I think the price is fair, and in a couple years I bet they decrease the cost.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryanc
You have to recoup the cost all the R and D that Ripp did, and do it fairly rapidly. They dont have time to nickel and dime it over a long period time like for instance 5 years. I doubt they are that highly capitalized, I think the price is fair, and in a couple years I bet they decrease the cost.
Of course the problem with waiting too long on the JK is that the pentastar is right around the corner. With an estimation of 300hp for the direct injection going in the wrangler. The resale on jeeps make trading up on a new one a viable option as opposed to bolting on 3-5k worth of supercharger.

Quick Reply: Ripp Supercharger Question