Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River Raider flares vs. Warrior Products

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the smittybuilts? Anybody got them yet?

Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Junkie

Yep the Purejeep stuff does look nice for sure.

Kenny at River Raider sent me quite a few pics, I only posted one. The point I was trying to make is that he doesnt use bondo as a standard.

it is too bad he isnt a sponsor here anymore, I am sure he would chime in if given the chance.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Yep the Purejeep stuff does look nice for sure.

Kenny at River Raider sent me quite a few pics, I only posted one. The point I was trying to make is that he doesnt use bondo as a standard.

it is too bad he isnt a sponsor here anymore, I am sure he would chime in if given the chance.
Let's hope his decision not to sponsor here hasn't affected anyones views of his work. He is also a much smaller and more personal shop than anyone else I have seen here and as such is in a much better position to customize to customer requests. There is one huge difference between plastic and steel fenders which hasn't been mentioned, you can lean on steel fenders with no damage.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Jeeper
What about the smittybuilts? Anybody got them yet?

they are made out of aluminum and are almost identical to these....

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
and the point i was trying to make is that no one i know would even consider using bondo at all. but really, who cares what i think. if you want to spend a grand on these fenders, by all means, please don't let me stand in your way.

Originally Posted by putnam dan
Let's hope his decision not to sponsor here hasn't affected anyones views of his work.
LOL!! likewise, let's hope that people can see that what is being discussed here are just opinions and based on facts. just because you don't like or agree with what you're hearing doesn't mean that alterior motives are involved.

He is also a much smaller and more personal shop than anyone else I have seen here and as such is in a much better position to customize to customer requests.
and that's great. if that's all you're looking for, that's where you should spend your money. for me, all metal work is done by hand regardless of the size of the shop and some hands are simply better at it than others. and, if i were to spend a grand on a set of steel fenders, customized or not, i personally would be pissed if i got them with bondo all over it. but hey, that's just me.

There is one huge difference between plastic and steel fenders which hasn't been mentioned, you can lean on steel fenders with no damage.
honestly, i can't even lean up against the side of my jeep without being a little concerned about the metal buckling in. but, if you want to lean the weight of your jeep on a set of steel fenders and expect there to be no damage, by all means, by my guest.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you for all of your help.

WayofLife -- Thanks for the pics. I think I'll wait on steel fenders, especially seeing the body damage they can produce. Plastic doesn't seem that much of a pain in the a$$ anymore and may in fact save me quite a load of money that can go into better upgrades.

P.S. I agree with all of you. $1000 bucks is way too high and the M.O.R.E. ones do like incredibly slick.

Again, thank you all.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, i wish that were true but it simply is not the case. the problem is that the fender simply attaches to the edge of the fender opening and unfortunately, there just isn't enough there to distribute a whole lot of anything. unlike a factory fender which will collapse, bend or tear off, a rigid fender will push into the edge directly into the body or lift up like a lever and collapse the body that way. the only way you can really distribute the load from an impact is to attach the fender to a sheet of armor like off road evolution does. by doing this, you take the entire load that is normally being place along the edge of your fender opening and spreading it out across the entire body of your jeep. granted, this isn't really an option for everyone and truthfully, not even for me - or, not yet anyway. of course for me, i'd rather save a $1000 and just use my chopped down factory flares. at the price of FREE, it's a hard deal to beat and one that won't do damage to my body (trust me, i have tried really hard). and, if i ever did feel the need to replace them, new flares are just $45 a piece.

Actually your wrong... It WILL happen with stock fenders, tube fenders or any fender that is not supported by something other than the frame.. Here is my carnage.. Truthfully the RR are sweet!! I'm hoping to find something that attaches to something more substantial before I drop a grand on tubes..

Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by SilverSaharaJK
Actually your wrong... It WILL happen with stock fenders, tube fenders or any fender that is not supported by something other than the frame.. Here is my carnage.. Truthfully the RR are sweet!! I'm hoping to find something that attaches to something more substantial before I drop a grand on tubes..

You have the hard Sahara flares. I believe WOL was referring to the black plastic flares that are somewhat flexible. But that is what could happen with any hard/non-flexible flare.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Eitherway, The JK's sheet metal is weak. So if you install steel fenders your chances of damaging the body are greater.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 03-07-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSaharaJK
Actually your wrong... It WILL happen with stock fenders, tube fenders or any fender that is not supported by something other than the frame.. Here is my carnage..
actually, you're right, i should be more specific and state that rubicon or x flares will not damage your body. i have torn off and smashed my fenders plenty of times and at most, this is what they looked like - no body damage.....

the next day, after the sun came out and warmed things up, this is what they looked like....

from what i have seen, the sahara flares are made out of a hard plastic that is similar to what the grille is made out of or maybe like the xenons and clearly, they do not give the way the unpainted black flares do.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personaly im doing WOL's fender cutting MOD. You could Chop up your fenders 4 times gettign it right and still be under the cost of the tube flares. Plus i dont know about you guys but the only thin i want my flares to do is keep some mud off my jeep and rocks the tires sling. If i go upside a tree i want them to bend. FOr that matter break before they ever do damage to my body. The mod wol did is by far the way to go.

Quick Reply: River Raider flares vs. Warrior Products