Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

River Raider flares vs. Warrior Products

Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
amazing how strong and rigid that paint is - the fender practically looks intact. funny how without the paint, the plastic is so much more flexible and bends or crushes in. no paint = dented fender NOT body

As the other poster said there is no difference in painted or no paint... When I came off the rock and hit a tree with the fender it crumpled and bent and tore completely off, it sprung right back into place and I snapped it back on. The problem is the black plastic that holds the fender underneath didn't budge and it caused the flimsy body panel to buckle... The skeleton on both are the same.. It's just how hard and at what angle you hit something. I didn't just bump into something! I came down on it hard!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We at Rock Krawler have built two of our own project JK's with both a Prototype set from MORE and a set from River Raider. Both sets were of the utmost in quality and fit up very well. The other brands mentioned we have not used to date, but maybe in our future products.

The MORE fenders were only their second or third set. They sent them to us unfinished and tacked up only. The fit up perfectly. We did all the finish work of welding up the seems, grinding them smooth and then DA'ing them to get a perfectly smooth finish prior to painting them to match the JK. These are shown on our black JK 2 door for the coil over and stretch kits for our JK's.

The River Raider fenders we recieved last fall we put on out new 4 door JK that was displayed at the Pomona Off Road Expo last fall. They too fit up extremely well. We went with their standard gatorhyde finish for a different and more rugged look on our 4 door. They fit the bill peftectly for what we were looking for....
i have seen both your jeeps in person and they looked real nice. well, obviously i am no fan of the cottage cheese finish so the 2-door looked way nicer to me oh, loved the compcut you did on it too

Most body shops will tell you in order to remove all imperfections and make the perfectly smooth to match your factory paint, using a very light skim coat of bondo and then smoothing it will be recommended if not required.....
again, we are talking about NEW products here where you have control over how things are made - NOT banged up body panels on car that you're trying to restore back to normal.

Originally Posted by SilverSaharaJK
As the other poster said there is no difference in painted or no paint...
like the other poster, you know this 100% for sure? how?

When I came off the rock and hit a tree with the fender it crumpled and bent and tore completely off, it sprung right back into place and I snapped it back on.
looking at your pics, your fender barely looks like it's been hit at all. when i hit a tree with my front fender hard, the fender not only tore off, the soft plastic was gouged deeply and scared.

The problem is the black plastic that holds the fender underneath didn't budge and it caused the flimsy body panel to buckle... The skeleton on both are the same.. It's just how hard and at what angle you hit something. I didn't just bump into something! I came down on it hard!
and, i can see how there might be some merit to this. the plastic substructure is rigid and hard and i could see how a hit to it might cause body damage if it didn't break first. for me, mine broke and left pieces on the trail - i guess i was lucky.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

as far as skim coats go, that is definitely no skim coat. hell, you can barely see any steel.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We at Rock Krawler have built two of our own project JK's with both a Prototype set from MORE and a set from River Raider. Both sets were of the utmost in quality and fit up very well. The other brands mentioned we have not used to date, but maybe in our future products.

The MORE fenders were only their second or third set. They sent them to us unfinished and tacked up only. The fit up perfectly. We did all the finish work of welding up the seems, grinding them smooth and then DA'ing them to get a perfectly smooth finish prior to painting them to match the JK. These are shown on our black JK 2 door for the coil over and stretch kits for our JK's.

The River Raider fenders we recieved last fall we put on out new 4 door JK that was displayed at the Pomona Off Road Expo last fall. They too fit up extremely well. We went with their standard gatorhyde finish for a different and more rugged look on our 4 door. They fit the bill peftectly for what we were looking for....

Both sets were exceptionally well built. We do not believe MORE is in production with them yet, but River Raider certainly is. Most body shops will tell you in order to remove all imperfections and make the perfectly smooth to match your factory paint, using a very light skim coat of bondo and then smoothing it will be recommended if not required.....

We hope this helps everyone.

Rock Krawler.
Apparently it did not
Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been going through this very debate myself. My sahara fenders looked like crap. Alot of scratches and such. After looking at the body, i didn't feel comfortable with the tube fenders. They all seem to be really built well, too well, as they appear much stronger than the body. My fear is that if hit they could cause significant body damage. Thus I broke out the dremel and duraliner and have some cool duralined fenders that will flex to no end when hit. I have hit the fenders many times, but never the body.

If i were going to go tube, I think I would probably go with the EVO armour/tube fenders. At least the force of impact would be distributed across the whole body panel.

My two cents.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by w.wood jeepster
I have been going through this very debate myself. My sahara fenders looked like crap. Alot of scratches and such. After looking at the body, i didn't feel comfortable with the tube fenders. They all seem to be really built well, too well, as they appear much stronger than the body. My fear is that if hit they could cause significant body damage.
that's what i have been seeing anyway. as much crap as i have been giving about the use of bondo or finish types, the real point i was trying to make is that ALL steel tube fenders regardless of make are a hell of a lot stronger than the factory flares. instead of bending, crushing or tearing off (all of which greatly reduced an impact to your body), tube fenders WILL deliver the full force of a blow right to the body of your jeep. and, at that point, breaking out the bondo might be the only way to smooth things out again
Old 03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife

please refer back to the PJ bumper pics that i posted earlier. those are ULTRA SMOOTH and nobody had to special request them that way as that is how they are made all the time.
Ok,, but lets see the pics of their tube fenders..

Lets just say we disagree on this and move on.. because in the end its more of a matter of an opinion than anything,, and everybody has an opinion,, we dont have the bandwidth to get all those on here.. which rock are bigger,, whose trees are tougher,,

If I find the specs on the plastic makeup of the base plastic used I will send them to you via a pm..
Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Ok,, but lets see the pics of their tube fenders..
totally fair question AND, the ones i have seen aren't my cup of tea either. why, because they left all their weld unfinished and that looked real messy to me. if they ever go into production, it would be my hope that they are cleaned up like the MORE's.

Lets just say we disagree on this and move on.. because in the end its more of a matter of an opinion than anything,, and everybody has an opinion,, we dont have the bandwidth to get all those on here.. which rock are bigger,, whose trees are tougher,,

If I find the specs on the plastic makeup of the base plastic used I will send them to you via a pm..
cool by me and with all sincerety, if you do find the plastic makeup, i would be grateful if you could send them to me.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

i think the point is, metal fenders have more of a chance in smashing the tub than the plastic fenders.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
i think the point is, metal fenders have more of a chance in smashing the tub than the plastic fenders.
exactly and it really is a pity as that was NOT the case with the TJ.

Quick Reply: River Raider flares vs. Warrior Products