JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rock-krawler-suspension-open-tech-line-jk-forum-members-274048/)

Terry Hesticles 06-26-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3597919)
Have you tried swapping the springs left to right in the rear and seeing if the problem is persistent? You should have longer links to go in the rear albeit I ran stock rear links for a 2.5" lift.

Sent from my DROID4

I'd really hate to have to swap my rear springs around, but I could to see if maybe that right spring is out of spec. Hoping to get other ideas before I do that, since I don't have the tools to do it myself so I have to borrow garage space and tools from friends or my parents.

Flywrangler 06-26-2013 08:55 PM

What's the point of the mfg having a tech thread if they don't respond to it? Just wondering.

justanothermoparman 06-26-2013 09:02 PM

X2

Sent from this damn device using JK-Forum

Terry Hesticles 06-27-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flywrangler (Post 3599417)
What's the point of the mfg having a tech thread if they don't respond to it? Just wondering.

I know, I seemed to have killed the spirit. Sorry guys!

JK Inspired 06-27-2013 04:37 PM

Geez. RK hasn't been replying. What's up with that?

HappyJK 06-27-2013 08:13 PM

I am looking for a lift for my new Jeep. I guess I won't be looking at RK products.

BuckLisa 06-27-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by HappyJK (Post 3600411)
I am looking for a lift for my new Jeep. I guess I won't be looking at RK products.

They answer on the JKO forums all the time.

JK Inspired 06-28-2013 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by BuckLisa (Post 3600423)

They answer on the JKO forums all the time.

...but they are the ones who STARTED this thread.

SabrToothSqrl 06-28-2013 04:06 AM

email

someone email them a link to this thread.

maybe they forgot...

jnabird333 06-28-2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 3600541)
someone email them a link to this thread.

maybe they forgot...

This would only work if they answered PMs or emails... Which they don't. (Or at least didn't/haven't).

Their lack or response to their own thread that was supposed to help with tech issues speaks volumes. I have been on the fence to a RK or MC lift. With the unanswered questions on RK. My decision is clear.

BuckLisa 06-28-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by jnabird333 (Post 3600548)

This would only work if they answered PMs or emails... Which they don't. (Or at least didn't/haven't).

Their lack or response to their own thread that was supposed to help with tech issues speaks volumes. I have been on the fence to a RK or MC lift. With the unanswered questions on RK. My decision is clear.

I understand, but there are so many forumS and social media sites; they may have overreached their capability and may not have enough social media reps to satisfy all the outlets despite their good intentions. I can say most of their hard products are guaranteed for life. MetalCloak does not. Both are good and made in USA.

RiverCityOffroad 06-28-2013 06:21 AM

I consider the guys at RK to be friends of mine and all I can say is that I know they aren't intentionally ignoring your questions.

I went through and started to answer the tech stuff that I could help with last night and decided not to say anything because I would have been here all night. Lots of the questions have been answered over and over again if you do a little digging. I didn't want to answer one and leave anyone out so I left it alone.

If you have a few minutes during the day I know that Justin or Jeremy will be happy to chat with you about your concerns or questions. They spend a ton of time doing that as it is. Sometimes there just isn't enough time or manpower to catch every single question on the boards because they are answering phone calls and dealing with orders.

I wouldn't let this type of thing turn me off of a manufacturer. If you called and never got an answer I would say that is reason for concern, but these guys go in early and stay late every day to support their customers.

If you guys who asked questions still have unanswered inquiries repost it and I will try to help you out. I have lots of experience with these systems.

Happy Friday!!

Marcus

jnabird333 06-28-2013 06:43 AM

The big outstanding question for me concerns the exhaust tap from the rear track bar. Nothing has been mentioned as to a cause or repair (that I've seen) for this.

To be honest I shouldn't be so harsh. I've never called as I'm not in a position to buy right now... Still need a few months. I didn't want to waist time when I'm not ready to pull the trigger. I've been watching this thread to learn.

This said. Some of the questions are from guys that have already made purchases. This is poor customer support no matter how you look at it. If they are to busy... I understand, but they should make that post here or never have started the thread to begin with.

RiverCityOffroad 06-28-2013 07:05 AM

I'm with you and I'm sure they agree too. A little hair on fire smiley and an acknowledgement goes a long way in the forum world.

All three of the Jeeps below have had 2.5 X-Factor Mid Arms on them. My JKU now has a 3.5 XF on it.

My 08 2 door did not have the exhaust / track bar problem with stock exhaust.

My 12 2 door contacted the track bar where the flange bolt came out of the exhaust pipe. The bolt was about 2.5" longer than it needed to be so I cut it off and it never gave me any more problems.

My 12 4 door didn't have contact issues on the bolt/exhaust but it wouldn't allow me to move my sway bar back far enough so I had some custom work done back there with an aftermarket muffler.

The track bar bolt/track bar can be solved by either rotating the track bar back on its arc (it is double adjustable for this reason). The bolt can be corrected by pulling the arms in a little on uppers and lowers and/or taking it to an alignment shop and having them adjust your pinion and thrust angle to spec with the rear arms.

I highly recommend installing the kits to RK specs and taking it to someone for a complete alignment. The measurements are a starting point but every JK is different in one way or another and will get more or less lift. It's impossible to have a one size fits all measurement on arms and track bars.

The instructions recommend the same thing and mention that the measurements are starting points. It can take some adjusting to get everything playing nice and dialed in, but once it's dialed you'll be very happy.

Marcus

jnabird333 06-28-2013 07:12 AM

Thank you for you're replies and continued support!

kjeeper10 06-29-2013 01:44 AM

RK is currently moving to a bigger facility. Assuming once they are settled, they will be back to answer your questions.

JK Inspired 06-29-2013 03:34 AM

The social media department at RK should have thee ability to respond. Without the customers, there would be no need for a larger facility.

kegnut 06-29-2013 03:40 AM

Here's a crazy idea. Pick up the phone, call, and talk to a real human being. You wouldn't believe how effective this is.

RiverCityOffroad 06-29-2013 09:12 AM

Guys...seriously. Lol

They moved to a new larger facility in January. Jeremy is at Northridge's open house this weekend and Justin has been running ragged trying to handle every forum, tech phone call, and order status updates.

If you call them with your questions they will answer them. It can take much longer to try to type a response than a 3 minute phone call.

If you keep putting them on blast there's not much incentive to come back. These companies in our industry aren't run by 1000s of people. They are usually small, passionate groups of people who are doing everything they can to keep up.

Give them some slack or if you have an extremely pressing issue call them.

It begins to look like we are just complaining to complain in the forum world sometimes. Let's remember that we are all human.

:beer:

Marcus

BuckLisa 06-29-2013 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad (Post 3601750)
Guys...seriously. Lol

They moved to a new larger facility in January. Jeremy is at Northridge's open house this weekend and Justin has been running ragged trying to handle every forum, tech phone call, and order status updates.

If you call them with your questions they will answer them. It can take much longer to try to type a response than a 3 minute phone call.

If you keep putting them on blast there's not much incentive to come back. These companies in our industry aren't run by 1000s of people. They are usually small, passionate groups of people who are doing everything they can to keep up.

Give them some slack or if you have an extremely pressing issue call them.

It begins to look like we are just complaining to complain in the forum world sometimes. Let's remember that we are all human.

:beer:

Marcus

Amen! Couldn't have said it better!

kjeeper10 06-29-2013 02:12 PM

January ... June, close enough :oops:

GoBig 06-29-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kegnut (Post 3601522)
Here's a crazy idea. Pick up the phone, call, and talk to a real human being. You wouldn't believe how effective this is.

Exactly!!! They do answer their phone, I called them yesterday and they were very helpful!

RiverCityOffroad 06-29-2013 02:47 PM

FWIW I spoke with Jeremy this afternoon and he said he will have the situation corrected one way or another by Tuesday.

Y'all have a good weekend.

Marcus

HappyJK 06-29-2013 03:43 PM

Good to hear. It's a good thing to have that kind of support when you need it. We shall see.

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:02 PM

Hey folks we apoligize for the loss of our comunication on this thread! So many things to do and so little time. We would like to thank Marcus and anyone else who has helped people out in here. We do always answer our phones and if you have a question that is urgent or would just like to talk to a human about something then feel free to call us at the shop 518-270-9822. We will run back through the thead and answer all the questions that we can!

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by BuckLisa (Post 3549069)
Another member on here has his RK drag link hitting the track bar bolt on your drag link flip kits track bar bolt. I had the same , but I added washers to the steering stops to prevent it. My RK lower control arms are at their shortest length at a 4.5 inch lift and my upper RK's are dialed in for a perfect pinion angle for my DC driveshaft. Is there anything else we can do to prevent the contact?

Attachment 456226

Bucklisa,

What is your caster at? You don't set front pinion angle you would set the caster on the front axle and then if you had a driveshaft vibration you would adjust slightly for pinion angle within reason keeping in mind how your pinion angle corrections are going to affect you caster reading and on road ride. Chances are you are a little light on caster and that is causing the front track bar relocation bracket to rolled forward causing the contact.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paws (Post 3549173)
Just now seeing this thread. This is my pic of the 3.5 max travel. All adjusted to what RK recommended. Rides awesome and kit is stout. Just noticed today during an inspection this was happening. Was going to call tomorrow since its after hours. Not a huge deal and I might need to run washers too. Just wanted your thoughts.

The same question would arise as our response to Bucklisa... What is your caster set at? This can have a lot to do with contact between the draglink and track bar bolt.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by nickcoleman (Post 3549521)
Can't decide what to do. I want to replace my spacer lift with a coil lift. I have a Warn Elite bumper and M8000 winch which dropped the front about an 1". The spacers are 2.5" front and 1" rear which brought the JK to level. This is on a 2dr with softtop.

What I'd really like is about 1/2" drop/rake in the front -- so when I load a 200-300 lbs of camping gear in the back it stays level.

When I look at the RK springs on JKs with a heavy front bumper/winch, it appears like the upper part of the coil is almost totally compressed. Doesn't that negate the purpose of a dual rate coil? So, why not just go with a normal coil like Teraflex/OME? (Asking this for info, not to be critical of RK.)

We design our kits around a fulley equiped rig; bumpers, winch, tire carrier, spare, armor. We use a progressive rate coil in the front like you mentioned. It is completely normal for the softer top rate to sit almost compressed at normal ride height. In the rear we use a linier rate coil due to the fact that people do like to load the back of thier rigs up with gear often. You could use a slightly taller then stock spring spacer/isolator to give the vehicle the slight rake you are lookig for.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by rob_p (Post 3549605)
I have a 2011 JKU Rubicon, which apart from a couple of skids is basically stock and I'm looking at your 3.5 Flex System and 15" MB TKO wheels with 35" MT/Rs.

Anything to watch out for with this combination?

Nothing to watch out for, just make sure you have the proper back spacing on the wheel. We recommend 4.5" of backspace on a 9" wide wheel. With the smaller diameter wheel you may have some issues if you want to run some of the HD steerings availiable in the future.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JustTryingToLive (Post 3549794)
I just bought a 2.5 max travel kit, and i was wondering if i need to extend the axle breather hoses? thanks for the help guy, looking forward to getting the lift on in about 2 weeks

You will want to give the breather line a little of slack on the axle end by making sure that there is no slack in the line at the frame end between the points where it mounts.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Slupe (Post 3552678)
2012 JKUR and a similar problem. A little more clearance but track bar paint is scuffed from contact with exhaust. Ideas?

Depending on how the rear setup looks and your clearances between your rear coils and rear tack bar you may be able to break the jam nuts loose and roll the track bar slightly and give yourself some more clearance there.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maertz (Post 3575085)
Do you guys sell just the coil spring offset perches thats included in your 3" rear stretch? Also how far offset is it im thinking it would almost have to be 4" as they seem off just being lifted. I doubt there that big though?

They are not listed as being sold seperatly anywhere but we can seperate them from a kit. We have different offsets in different stretch kits. Give the shop a shout if you need specifics on the different mounts.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by nr6h (Post 3575893)
RK, i'll be installing a 2.5 X-Factor on a 2 door with stock bumpers so I' ll yield about 3.5 to 4 in of lift soulg I follow the CA setting for 3.5 or stick with the 2.5 setting Thanks

Just as Maertz has stated you would want to go by how much lift you gained as far as what you set your arms to. You should see 3.25"-3.5" in the front and 2.25"-2.5" over stock in the rear. With a very light rig like yours you can expect the higher of the spectrum.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 3576794)
We may need more than one thread!

I have a 2012 Rubicon on a BDS lift. I believe it's 3". I know this because I'm fitting 35s nicely, and because the Fox Shox stickers say "BSD" on them.

Anyway; that's the background. That and those stupid brake line relocation brackets. (I have longer brake lines on order, and will be fixing it right shortly).

Also, I had a 5.5 Longarm kit on my last TJ from RK, and it was AWESOME. It worked well on road, and off road, it was CRAZY how much it would flex. It needed retainer springs up front, and limiting straps all around! I rarely needed my lockers, as it's flex meant it was always planted.

So, my question;

I LOVE the way my BDS kit rides ON-ROAD. But from what I can tell, I have all stock control arms. The track bars also look stock and look to be on brackets.

I'm not looking to change the height, (all spring lift, no spacers). I'm also no looking to change the ride (the shocks seem to work very well).

I AM looking for some more flex and to ditch the stock control arms.

Is there any reason I can't build this as I go? For example, install 2 new lower front control arms from RK, then install 2 rear lower, then install 2 front upper, etc?

Is it not ideal to mix makes? If it was my Jeep, I'd have gone strait to RK, but I bought the jeep like this, and the dealer said they'd give me the full 3/36 warranty on everything... so... there's that lol.

anyway, I love the videos, love the products, and love the color PDF installs. Keep it coming! the more I know about your products before I buy, the more likely I am to BUY.

You can deffinitly upgrade your control arms as you see fit! Front lowers would also be our first purchase, then if looking to get both uppers and lowers in the rear we would suggest that you purchase them at the same time so you can get the 1" stretch in the rear like our x-factor kits.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm90 (Post 3580224)
Nother question. I am looking at getting one of your 3.5 systems. What shocks would you recommend I pruchase, or are the emulsion shocks you sell pretty much perfect for the lift? Thank you!!!!

There are many great options as far as shocks go, a lot of it comes down to budget. We reccomend Bilstien 5100's a lot due to thier price and we know that thier valving is right on point with what we try to spec out. The next step up is to a completely rebuildable and revalveable shock like our RRD's

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mendiola21 (Post 3580293)
I run my jku on 3.5max travel on Fox piggybacksfactory series sitting on 35 inch toyo's aired down to 28 psi. But everything seems to be really rough like every bump I hit is unbearable and it sounds like a clicking sound coming from either the upper shock mount or spring perch area everytime I hit a bump

I used to run a teraflex 2.5 coils lift and changed it out for those exact reasons above and some other limitations.

I have checked all the torque specs on track bars and control arms and they are good. Also had the jeep aligned and was actually told I was barely off.

Any recommendations?

Check for contact between any of the suspension componants and bump stops. We would also be interested to see what the valving those fox's are set at. What is your caster set at as well? You can get some contact from the draglink and the track bar bolt if you are a little light on caster.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by AaronJK (Post 3580383)
Just went out and checked mine. Shop had it in wrong. So i fixed it. Always check it afterward so you know it's done right. That is unless this is wrong lol. :rock:

Sent using my SuperSmartThinky Phone

Those pictures look like you have it in correctly now!

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 06-30-2013 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by zero_traction69 (Post 3580948)
Thought I would ask sorta a dumb question. On the rear track bar I have it set to length 39 3/4. 3.5 dual sport life. My question is that length doesn't seam to work for me. I had to go about an inch longer is this a common thing? I know those are starting measurement in your instruction, but what would cause it to change that much? Control arms are to lenght just check everything again.

If your rig is on the light side (factory bumpers and so on) you may have need ed to lengthen the track bars a little more then our starting measurements for sure!

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 07-01-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Terry Hesticles (Post 3581607)
1. I have a 2.5" stock mod + LCAs on my 2013 JKU and my springs are all oriented the right way (rear springs have the part# sticker facing back) and my right rear dips a little, maybe half an inch. Any other tricks to get this to even out? I have a quarter of a tank of gas and it's still dipping. I have no other bolt ons besides my full size spare (33 tire on 15 aluminum wheel mounted on stock carrier).

2. The instructions state to remove the rear sway bar links when installing the lift, but that's it. Should these be reconnected? I reconnected mine afterwards. I know some kits require moving stock front to back or vise versa, but my kit has the disconnects up front, so if it's the latter then I'll pass.

Is #2 possibly the cause for #1?

We do not remove the rear links completly... just to make installing the coils easier. You do need to reconnect them. And yes this could be a direct cause of your lean.

RK

Rock Krawler Suspension 07-01-2013 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Archie251 (Post 3585638)
Hey RK guys. I'm trying to decide on which RK lift. I'm pretty new to all this so excuse me if I ask something lame.

I have a 2009 Rubicon 4dr and I'll be running 35 inch tires. I don't have a winch and bumpers yet but plan to do both, including tire carrier and possibly a roof rack, in the near future. It will be not only a daily driver but something I work out of 3-4 hours per day (not all driving) so on road and in town drivability is really important but I want to be able to four wheel some pretty gnarly (I know that's subjective) stuff too.

I'm looking at either the 2.5 max travel or the 3.5 flex. Both appear to consist of the same components (obviously sized differently) so what difference is there other than height? Am I going to get more articulation with a max travel or is it only a max travel as compared to the 2.5 flex? I'm not really concerned with the look as both will look cool enough for me but I do want the best performing system.

Thanks
Archie

Archie,

The two lifts that are in question like you have stated, Are the same basic componants other then the coils and the sway bar link center pins. The only thing that is going to allow one to flex more then the other would be what you choose for shock travels. With the higher lift you will be able to run a slightly longer travel shock package.

RK