Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 12-12-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RRD shocks would be best suited for these kits since they sell them. Personnally, I've bought fox ipf 2.0 and they work fine too.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genrec
What are the top 2 to 3 choices of shocks to run with the RK 2.5 Max Travel, I want to order this in the next couple days, and was wondering what are the 2 or 3 favorite brands of shock and model to run, so I can choose. Known to perform well together...more of a DD , and rig is a 2014 JKU.
I run the King 2.5 adjustable shocks on my 3.5 kit. I know it is one of the most expensive choices, but I like being able to adjust. As my commute takes me over Ortega Highway on two days a week, I adjust them to 17-20 in stiffness versus on the trail, or putting around town.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rock Krawler LCA question

Hello, I have a couple of questions. I am currently running the old Rock Krawler 3.5 "Entry Level Kit" that was offered a looong time ago and I'm not sure if there is any difference from the ones offered now. It has of course the coils and the adjustable front track bar along with a rear track bar bracket. I've already lengthened my brake lines as well. So my question... I have ordered the adjustable front lower control arms from RK to hopefully remedy the flighty feel I have on the highway. I was planning on putting them in myself. Are there any other issues I may cause by putting these on? My understanding is that these control arms should do nothing but make my ride quality better. Is there anything else that this is going to cause me to purchase, or can I just pop em in and be done? Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a particular method of squaring a rear axle to the chassis after the addition of adjustable arms? It seems easy enough to align the front axle off of the rear after this step is completed. The first alignment I paid for left the rear axle out of square causing my Jeep to pull to the right under power. I've since had good luck using a plumb bob and plumbing out the LCA mounts on the frame front and rear, and using the shock mounts for rear reference, and axle-side LCA mounts for front reference. I'm curious as to what RK recommends.

Pertaining to the X-Factor kit, I have to favor the passenger side .25" when centering the rear axle because the RRD 2.0 shocks contact the track bar relocation bracket, even after the bracket has been clearanced with an angle grinder. Am I the only one?

Using the factory bump stop and a 3" RK axle-mounted bump stop extension, the rearmost portion of the bump stop contacts the frame-side track bar mount. Has anyone had success in relocating the rear track bar mount rearward ~1" to match the additional wheelbase? I ended up using a polyurethane bump stop to fix, but lost around 2" of up travel in the process. Should I go to a 2" rear bump stop extension from a 3" now that I'm using a polyurethane bump stop and have additional clearance?

My track bar makes pretty substantial contact with the Teraflex diff cover both front and rear unless I clock the jog in the track bar away from the pumpkin. So far so good, but I'm worried the frame-side joint will wear prematurely because it is in a constant bind. Again, poly rear bump stops helped this but I did lose about 2" of up travel. The only way I can think to correct this is by changing to a different armored diff cover. Is there one available that's slimmer at the top of the pumpkin? Do I need to move the rear frame-side track bar mount back 1"?

I'm running 4* of pinion to driveshaft angle in the rear, with one rear LCA as short as possible, and one rear LCA joint threaded out 1 turn from all-the-way short to avoid additional complications due to the extended wheelbase.

Last edited by stevewix; 01-01-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewix
Using the factory bump stop and a 3" RK axle-mounted bump stop extension, the rearmost portion of the bump stop contacts the frame-side track bar mount. Has anyone had success in relocating the rear track bar mount rearward ~1" to match the additional wheelbase? I ended up using a polyurethane bump stop to fix, but lost around 2" of up travel in the process. Should I go to a 2" rear bump stop extension from a 3" now that I'm using a polyurethane bump stop and have additional clearance?

My track bar makes pretty substantial contact with the Teraflex diff cover both front and rear unless I clock the jog in the track bar away from the pumpkin. So far so good, but I'm worried the frame-side joint will wear prematurely because it is in a constant bind. Again, poly rear bump stops helped this but I did lose about 2" of up travel. The only way I can think to correct this is by changing to a different armored diff cover. Is there one available that's slimmer at the top of the pumpkin? Do I need to move the rear frame-side track bar mount back 1"?
Yes even my rear track bolt is making contact with the rear portion of the bumptstop. I turned the bolt around to where the head of it was toward the front and excess thread facing rear, still hits. I was told this should not happen if i have the correct bump stops but i am using the ones RK gave me with their kit. Yes i have seen guys relocate the track bar frame side mount back an inch to solve this.

Can't speak for the diff cover issue as im only running the stock one. Do you have any pictures of these issues?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a particular method of squaring a rear axle to the chassis after the addition of adjustable arms? It seems easy enough to align the front axle off of the rear after this step is completed. The first alignment I paid for left the rear axle out of square causing my Jeep to pull to the right under power. I've since had good luck using a plumb bob and plumbing out the LCA mounts on the frame front and rear, and using the shock mounts for rear reference, and axle-side LCA mounts for front reference. I'm curious as to what RK recommends.

Pertaining to the X-Factor kit, I have to favor the passenger side .25" when centering the rear axle because the RRD 2.0 shocks contact the track bar relocation bracket, even after the bracket has been clearanced with an angle grinder. Am I the only one?

I'm running 4* of pinion to driveshaft angle in the rear, with one rear LCA as short as possible, and one rear LCA joint threaded out 1 turn from all-the-way short to avoid additional complications due to the extended wheelbase.
I did a couple of these things you're asking about. I posted some info within this thread, posts #244 & #246, they might help.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
I did a couple of these things you're asking about. I posted some info within this thread, posts #244 & #246, they might help.
Great info, that helps tremendously. what's the part number of the artec perches?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Great info, that helps tremendously. what's the part number of the artec perches?
Artec Part Number JK4425
Old 01-06-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

RK, are you guys checking this thread? I've got questions for you a few posts up.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RK, are you guys checking this thread?
I was wondering the same thing. I have a few concerns. Guess I will send them an email.

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members