Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rack suggestions?

Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack suggestions?

Hello fellow jk owners! I am looking for suggestions on what roof rack to purchase for my 2011 rubicon 4 door. I would like to have the hardtop still be removable when needed. And would like to be able to mount lights on the roof rack. I also have a stock bumper still. (I'm aware and ok with drilling if need be. Maybe the possibility of wanting a roof top tent later on. But honestly I am losing interest in getting one since I figured out I can sleep in the jeep perfectly

Last edited by Michael Colosimo; 02-18-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

What do you intend to use your roof rack for? What're you carrying?

I would never suggest drilling into the hard top. Even if you somehow waterproof your holes perfectly, you're drilling holes in a $3k top to mount lights... when there are so many light mounting solutions (that put the lights over the windshield) that don't require you to do this.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
What do you intend to use your roof rack for? What're you carrying?

I would never suggest drilling into the hard top. Even if you somehow waterproof your holes perfectly, you're drilling holes in a $3k top to mount lights... when there are so many light mounting solutions (that put the lights over the windshield) that don't require you to do this.
definitely don't want to drill into the hardtop, I meant drilling into the stock bumper. My apologies if I made that confusing.
I'll be hauling camping gear, boxes etc. Maybe a elk if I get lucky this season ;p
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I would never suggest drilling into the hard top.
I will. Rhino Rack Backbone or TeraFlex Nebo.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a GOBI Stealth, but their leads times are horrendous, I got lucky as northridge4x4 had them in stock. I like it as it is one of the least bulky racks out there, sits nice and low, tilts back so you can take the hardtop if you want, no drilling at all. Ive had it about 6 years now, no issues.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

MBRP roof rack here, along with the optional front extension and basket. I had no problems drilling into the hardtop. It does not leak. I have done a few mods to the rack to make it compatible with the AEV snorkel, and to carry a second spare tire. My one complaint about it is the powdercoat was poorly applied and is flaking off in places, leading to rust. Not sure if MBRP has done something about that or not. Depending on your desires, the advantage with this rack is when you remove the hardtop, the rack is just part of it. That means you'll need more folks to remove the top, but it's all just one piece (if you have only the basic rack). If you have the extension, you'll pull two connecting bars (four tooless bolts) and leave the front windshield frame on. If you have your lights attached to that, which I did with a homebrew adapter, then you'll still retain all of your lights while the rack is gone. Here (starting at 33:38) is some info on the rack ...

Note, while videos are about the TransAmerica Trail, the last half is a discussion of various mods to my Jeep.

And here is a bit on the overhead lights (starting at 19:44) ...

Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't say enough good things about the Gobi Stealth I had on my '07. The only negative was that it was a challenge for my wife to flip it back singlehandedly when she needed to put the soft top up in a rain emergency. That's the only reason I didn't move it over to the '14 when I bought it. I sometimes wish I did...
Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gobi Stealth here. I love that it flips down for hard top removal and didn't require me to modify my hard top. It's stable, and one day will have a rooftop tent up on it!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Garvin and love it. USA built and solid as a rock. Been through plenty of abuse off road and just trips to Home Depot. It swings back to remove the top. Good thing is that even without the top you still have the rack. It holds 300 pounds offroad and much more static in camp. I have a review video I'll add a link to and I cover it in great detail and show you how it works for top removal. Customer service from Garvin is also top notch. Hit me up with any questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo451.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	677327
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default I'm in the same boat

I've been researching racks for a while now. My goal is to have a rack strong enough to hold a roof top tent. But in between weekends, I'd like to hoist the hard top and tent off, and switch back to my soft top. The Teraflex Nebo looks great, but I can't mount up the soft top with the Nebo brackets attached to the sport bar. The Gobi looks good, but I don't believe I can flip back the rack, hoist off the hardtop, and put the Gobi back down in the garage as the hard top will be in the way. So I'm looking at the Rhino. It's not the best looking, and I don't like the 3 bar setup, but it seems to be the only one that fits the bill.

Quick Reply: Roof rack suggestions?