Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Roof racks

Old 06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof racks

I want to order a roofrack for my 4dr rubicon this week (got my income tax... hehe)

Iwant a good rack...... not anything that looks cheap

any suggestions?

I want it for hard and soft top

Last edited by o|||||||o EDMONTONTRADER; 06-08-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

check out jkracks.com they look awesome. I think they look much better than the Garvins' rack.

Last edited by wayoflife; 06-08-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: please refrain from posting direct links to non-sponsoring manufacturers
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look at the Thule "Moab" roof racks. I don't have one yet, but I'm considering it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pgoty
check out jkracks.com they look awesome. I think they look much better than the Garvins' rack.
THAT IS A MATTER OF OPINION I think the Garvin Front mount.."IS" way nicer that the JKracks..
Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Garvin Wilderness Rack on my rescue green JK unlimited. When installed it tilts back far enough to use both the soft and hardtops. It does require drilling four holes on each side to mount the lower and upper support racks. The rear tail lights are removed and reinforcing bar bolted inside the openings. The Rack is built like a tank. Took about 4 hrs. Very sold, not a rattle. You do need to remove four bolts to operate the tiltback but I think refitting with a quick release or butterfly nuts would speed the process. Delivered to my door on Vancouver Island, BC for $1200 canadian. I think it is pretty reasonable considering the weight of the cartons.
Cheers
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Off Road Logic

I really like the Off Road Logic Rack. It is more expensive but i think it has some additional bells and whistles like the rear lights and comes with either Thule or Yakima bars. I also like the mounting system better-no drilling. I think there were some concerns that the soft top need some altering but I contacted Brett at OffRoad Logics and he said that has been changed. I have seen it but have yet to order it (next week). there is an aluminum version as well. In my opinion it is the best looking rack i have seen.

There have been some concerns about delivery time and customer service. From my experience I have talked to someone each time I have called and received a response to all of my emails within 12 hours. I have corresponded quite a few times. i have had a ton of questions. They have assured me that all problems that existed have been corrected and they are back on track.

this is all opinion-hope it helps
Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Order it and put it on.. Then let us know how it is...!!!!

I am still leaning toward the Garvin..
Old 08-04-2007, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Experience with OffRoad Logic.

Originally Posted by Huntr
I really like the Off Road Logic Rack. It is more expensive but i think it has some additional bells and whistles like the rear lights and comes with either Thule or Yakima bars. I also like the mounting system better-no drilling. I think there were some concerns that the soft top need some altering but I contacted Brett at OffRoad Logics and he said that has been changed. I have seen it but have yet to order it (next week). there is an aluminum version as well. In my opinion it is the best looking rack i have seen.

There have been some concerns about delivery time and customer service. From my experience I have talked to someone each time I have called and received a response to all of my emails within 12 hours. I have corresponded quite a few times. i have had a ton of questions. They have assured me that all problems that existed have been corrected and they are back on track.

this is all opinion-hope it helps
I received and installed the OffRoad Logic rack on my 4 door JK soft top a couple of weeks ago. There was definitely a delivery problem. It arrived about 3 weeks late and I had to delay the start of my vacation by a day to get it installed. I had to tap a couple of screw holes myself because they had overlooked it and I had to add washers to 4 others because they were too long for the pre-threaded holes at the back of the rack. But in the end I did get it on.

The rear light did not come on the rack as promised, don't know when that will arrive, but it is prewired in the front and that back for lights.

It comes with crossbars in addition to the basket. The crossbars didn't fit except at the very back of the rack. The rails narrow towards the front and there is no way to adjust the length of the cross bars to accommodate the change in the width of the rack. I've been in contact with Brett at OffRaod about this and he has asked for measurements to see where they went wrong.

I think this rack would go nicely on a hardtop, but having it on my soft top for almost two weeks I can't recommend it. It is very noisy. There is always movement in the soft top as you drive and it is constantly hitting the bottom of rack. VERY noisy and annoying; have to turn the radio up very loud. Having the rear windows cracked a bit helps.

Brett says he has the horizontal bracket for the soft top but I haven't seen it yet. They sent the one for the hard top and as a result the top isn't connected very well at the rear of the vehicle. Regardless of having it fit, you won't be able to use the top in the sunrider mode where you just have the top half way back like a big sunroof. There is almost no clearance between the bottom of the rack and the top so there would be a lot of pressure if you tried it. Brett recommended using foam padding if I rally wanted to do it and said they didn't recommend it for any extended period.

I'm still working with Brett to resolve the issues. Other than not being up front about getting the rack to on time, he has been good to work with. I had to pay the freight company and additional $125 for a Saturday delivery and Brett has promised to reimburse me. He also says he will compensate for my other problems.

For what they are charging I expected a more solid product. This one is still in Beta.

Add on 8/05: When I removed the rack I left the front crosspiece in place in case I decided to remount the rack. This morning was nice and I decided to put the top halfway down in Sunrider mode. The front of the top wouldn't clear the cross piece. I ended up removing it.

I will conceded there may be another way to put the top down that I don't know of, but I was doing it the way that is shown in the manual. I passed this info along to Brett at OffRoad. I really hope he irons out these problems because it is a very solid rack. Almost make me want to pick up the hard top so I can use it.

Last edited by TriTech; 08-05-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have JK Racks in stock for local pick up only.

Quick Reply: Roof racks