Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough country

Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough country

Hey folks. So ive been asking alot of questions latley and i have one more. I know that nearly all cases money buys quality. I came across the Rough country 3.5 lift for 499.99 with shocks. Does anyone run this lift?
What are your comments towards it?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Fixed control arms instead of adjustable.
Dropped pitman arm and trackbar relocation bracket instead of adjustable trackbar.

In the end, you won't save any money by going cheap or poor design because you will end up buying twice.

Also, at 3.5", you will need exhaust spacers on your '13 Sahara.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll tell you from experience. Rough country joints are terrible, springs are rock hard and the shocks are pitiful. I have replaced joints twice in 22k miles changed springs and shocks, and am now going with new control arms. Spend the money! If you don't have it keep saving. Buy quality products. If you wanna go cheap buy used lift parts and piece it together
Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bombout800
I'll tell you from experience. Rough country joints are terrible, springs are rock hard and the shocks are pitiful. I have replaced joints twice in 22k miles changed springs and shocks, and am now going with new control arms. Spend the money! If you don't have it keep saving. Buy quality products. If you wanna go cheap buy used lift parts and piece it together

Sadly the answers i figured id get, back to the drawing board!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

I will play devils advocate. I had their 4" with shocks on my 08 Sahara and had zero complaints. I did blow one shock and they sent me a new one. It did run factory control arms so my wheelbase was a touch smaller. I wheeled the thing hard at Rausch creek, and bds outback without an issue. It was what I could afford at the time and I had zero regrets.

That being said, does it compare to my 3.5" rock krawler I now have. No way. But it cleared the 35s I wanted and got my family and I in the woods where I met a huge group of friends.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by deepjeep13
Sadly the answers i figured id get, back to the drawing board!!!
drawing board, teraflex 2.5" lift add shocks and be a super happy camper.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deepjeep13
Hey folks. So ive been asking alot of questions latley and i have one more. I know that nearly all cases money buys quality. I came across the Rough country 3.5 lift for 499.99 with shocks. Does anyone run this lift? What are your comments towards it?
rough country isn't a horrible kit like everyone makes it out to be. I had one on my previous jk and my buddy has one on his now and his rides as good as my rock krawler. The key to these kits it all the other components like control arm brackets and so on. Pull the kit up on their site and it will have a list of "recommended" components. Rough country is great for the price IMO
Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have 35k on mine i have to say it has sagged. I am panning on upgrading to a teraflex or rubicon express long arm. They are fine on the road but when it comes time to use it they aint that great
Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the 4" X-flex system (4in X-series Suspension Lift Kit for 07-13 Jeep JK Wrangler [673X] | Rough Country Suspension Systems) because for the money you can't beat it... you get everything. The control arms are VERY beefy and I was impressed with the ride quality and flex. Now my only complaint are the RC Flex joint (fake johnny joints). I had the first one rip apart within 15 miles of driving to the trail (on flat pavement). With in a week ALL 4 front had ripped apart and I had to put spot welds on the screw-in side washer to keep them together. I heard RC support is great and I could have called them for replacement but I didn't waste my time, I just ordered real Johnny Joint replacement ends (all 8 for front and rear) and now everything is ROCK Solid and still way under what I would have paid for everything from another kit.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I will play devils advocate. I had their 4" with shocks on my 08 Sahara and had zero complaints. I did blow one shock and they sent me a new one. It did run factory control arms so my wheelbase was a touch smaller. I wheeled the thing hard at Rausch creek, and bds outback without an issue. It was what I could afford at the time and I had zero regrets.

That being said, does it compare to my 3.5" rock krawler I now have. No way. But it cleared the 35s I wanted and got my family and I in the woods where I met a huge group of friends.
Uncle has had the 4" on his '08 for 70k and the only issue was recently the sway bar bolts had worn almost completely through at the sway bar. He has no complaints.

Quick Reply: Rough country