Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rough Country long arm kit ? (read before judge)

Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Is that good or bad.
Start with this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

He put a good amount of time into it, and it is sticky'd to the top of the Modified Tech section as a resource.

A Rough Country 6" long arm will perform worse on and off road than a quality 3" short arm lift, with 11.5" travel shocks and the right length of extended bumpstops for the tires and the shocks. It has to do with the design, geometry, shocks, and quality of the components of the Rough Country lift.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
If I was given a Rough Country long arm for $0, I wouldn't run it. Heck, if I was paid $1,700 to run a Rough Country long arm, I wouldn't run it. The geometry is all wrong. The quality of the joints, bushings, springs, and shocks are subpar. If you have the money to run 40s with Dana 60s, hydro assist steering, 1350 driveshafts, etc., why would you mess with installing a subpar lift that you'd end up ripping off to replace with something better anyway? By the way, I run 40s on a 4.5" lift and have more up travel than most people with 4" lifts. I run 3.5" extended bumpstops.
Agreed do not buy rough country.....junk!
My rock krawler 3.5 X factor is great on and off road.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
Start with this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/ He put a good amount of time into it, and it is sticky'd to the top of the Modified Tech section as a resource. A Rough Country 6" long arm will perform worse on and off road than a quality 3" short arm lift, with 11.5" travel shocks and the right length of extended bumpstops for the tires and the shocks. It has to do with the design, geometry, shocks, and quality of the components of the Rough Country lift.
Yes I'm aware of his thread. I wasn't sure if he was replying to what you said or the thread topic itself. Lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I was replying to the op and the logic behind it.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you read to much about radius arms you can find one thing that people agree on they suck regardless who makes them. A lot of 4x4 forums have threads on this subject and several suspension designers said the radius arm design has inherent binding that can't be prevented. So if you take that into account you can eliminate several suspension systems for the JK. I have never had one and am not an expert but most people wont run them. They asked the question look at any comp crawler and you won't find a radius arm. It's not like they are cheaper so why risk it?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I was replying to the op and the logic behind it.
That's what I figured. Didn't want to misinterpret though.

Quick Reply: Rough Country long arm kit ? (read before judge)