Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Axle Trueness

Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubicon Axle Trueness

I was doing some research on sleeves and gussets for ol' Rubi today, and i came across a note that said if the axle is not straight it will be difficult or impossible to slide the sleeves in. Makes sense. When i look at the front of my Jeep, i cant tell if the tire is actually leaning or if i'm out of my mind. Doesnt help my insanity that they used a black JKU in the example photo either.

Anyways, any tips on doing a rough check on the straightness of this axle? Any tips or advice from people who have performed this upgrade?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm. alignment shop usually can tell by your camber...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

The alignment shop on this island is worthless. They told my buddy that 33" tires on his 2" lifted jk prevented them from doing a proper alignment.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakspire
The alignment shop on this island is worthless. They told my buddy that 33" tires on his 2" lifted jk prevented them from doing a proper alignment.
well. this could definitely be true.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

alignment computers at garages give specifications on how the jeep/car/truck comes from the factory.

having any kind of lift will alter your alignment specifications. let alone adding larger tires.

and having a jeep axle in general, you have to upgrade suspension components in order to tune in/ dial in your alignments. . .
Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the shops!

most shops where i live will not drop track bars to properly center axles and will not and sometimes do not even know that adjustable control arms could adjust caster specifications.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
To see if it is really bad then just snap a level to the axle, if it is crazy off then you'll see but if it is slightly off then this style won't show. A level up against your wheel would also show the tire trueness- but aware the tire bulges more towards the bottom than at the top.

I had 4" and 35s on my bronco and had no problem with an alignment, I see no reason why they can't fix the jeep. Granted there are certain specs that aren't easily adjustable on the the jeep.....toe is the only easy one- the other 2 need new pieces, ball joints and control arms.

Sidenote- I've been up there and loved it. You are quite lucky with your location.
I really like it up here(Besides the fact i have to pay to ship things). I worked at a tire center for two years, i know the difficulties, but i also know they can still check it, and recommend a remedy, besides, that would tell me something is bent, not specifically the c's or the tube. The snap level is a great idea, that will let me know if its close enough for sleeves or not. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Rubicon Axle Trueness