Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon Express 3.5 inch Superflex?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE 3.5 kit for JK

I installed this kit on my 2007 JK 2dr earlier this year. Overall I'm pleased with the ride quality (equal or better than stock) and off road performance. In general parts are good quality, but I did have some issues.

Front install went well. Track bar heim joint threads extended a bit more than I prefer to center axle (thread bite about 50% or less). Lift height achieved was at least 3.5-4.0 inches. Front shocks have upper threads that should be longer - just enoungh to put the bolt on, no extra.

Rear install did not go well. I could not adjust upper arms enough to achieve desired pinion angle. Female ends extended so that the thread bite was less than diameter of shaft. Centering rear axle not possible with frame drop down bracket (off center by 3/4 of an inch). After several phone calls the general respnse I got was this was normal. I did not accept this response especially in reagards to my rear pinion angle (could not line up differential output shaft with drive line). I kept explaining that the upper rear arm female ends were too short and their "plus one" inch ends should correct the problem. After many phone calls I was told I could swing by (I live in Sacramento, CA) and pick up revised upper rear control arm female ends and a axle riser track bar bracket. I never used the axle riser track bar bracket. Intead I ordered Teraflex's adjustable rear track bar bracket and axle bump stops (better design to contact frame bumps with axle rotated). Revised upper rear arms fixed the pinion angle problem and adjustable track bar from Teraflex centered the rear axle perfectly. Lift achieved in the rear was 2.5 inches. A little disappointed. RE says the rear springs were designed to level the jeep only. I say they should advertise the 3.5 kit as "3.5 in front and 2.5 in the rear" for full disclosure.

I think RE's customer service leaves alot to be desired. If you have to deal with them on the phone or via email good luck. In comparison my part orders from Teraflex (to fix the short commings of RE's 3.5 kit) were a breath of fresh air.

I went with RE for their reputation, but I have to say I'm not impressed. The kit deficiencies were easy corrections that they reluctantly corrected after alot of hassle. I think their kit was optimized for the four door only and did not take into account the steeper drive line angles encountered with the 2 dr.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2007JKR
I installed this kit on my 2007 JK 2dr earlier this year. Overall I'm pleased with the ride quality (equal or better than stock) and off road performance. In general parts are good quality, but I did have some issues.

Front install went well. Track bar heim joint threads extended a bit more than I prefer to center axle (thread bite about 50% or less). Lift height achieved was at least 3.5-4.0 inches. Front shocks have upper threads that should be longer - just enoungh to put the bolt on, no extra.

Rear install did not go well. I could not adjust upper arms enough to achieve desired pinion angle. Female ends extended so that the thread bite was less than diameter of shaft. Centering rear axle not possible with frame drop down bracket (off center by 3/4 of an inch). After several phone calls the general respnse I got was this was normal. I did not accept this response especially in reagards to my rear pinion angle (could not line up differential output shaft with drive line). I kept explaining that the upper rear arm female ends were too short and their "plus one" inch ends should correct the problem. After many phone calls I was told I could swing by (I live in Sacramento, CA) and pick up revised upper rear control arm female ends and a axle riser track bar bracket. I never used the axle riser track bar bracket. Intead I ordered Teraflex's adjustable rear track bar bracket and axle bump stops (better design to contact frame bumps with axle rotated). Revised upper rear arms fixed the pinion angle problem and adjustable track bar from Teraflex centered the rear axle perfectly. Lift achieved in the rear was 2.5 inches. A little disappointed. RE says the rear springs were designed to level the jeep only. I say they should advertise the 3.5 kit as "3.5 in front and 2.5 in the rear" for full disclosure.

I think RE's customer service leaves alot to be desired. If you have to deal with them on the phone or via email good luck. In comparison my part orders from Teraflex (to fix the short commings of RE's 3.5 kit) were a breath of fresh air.

I went with RE for their reputation, but I have to say I'm not impressed. The kit deficiencies were easy corrections that they reluctantly corrected after alot of hassle. I think their kit was optimized for the four door only and did not take into account the steeper drive line angles encountered with the 2 dr.

I hope this helps.
Sure does, I think that is the first bad experience with the kit so far. I'll have to look more into these issues with the 2 door. Do you think getting adjustable lower control arms would've helped you get the rear end lined up the way you wanted?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed RE 3.5 super flex kit about two weeks ago. (4 door Rubicon) Next week I am going to rausch creek offroad park in PA to test it. I had a good 1 1/2 rake due to bumper, and winch, after the lift my jeep is level. So far no complaints.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running the lift, very happy with it.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2007JKR

I wonder what the vintage of your kit was as they went away from the frame drop down bracket. The axle track bar bracket that I used worked perfectly and exactly centered my axle. I think the axle bracket is a better solution than the adj track bar alone because it keeps the roll center lower.

While mine is a 4 dr I netted exactly 4.5" in the front and 3.5" in the rear and came out leveled.

I've had great service from them on the phone.

Having said all that; were I doing it again I would spend the extra 1000 dollars and get the Currie lift to get the Johnny Joints. The RE and Currie lifts are both excellent lifts and good values are their different price points.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default RE 3.5 kit

Originally Posted by scubastevealmighty
Sure does, I think that is the first bad experience with the kit so far. I'll have to look more into these issues with the 2 door. Do you think getting adjustable lower control arms would've helped you get the rear end lined up the way you wanted?
Once I received the revised female ends for my upper rear control arms my pinion angle problem was solved. Adjustable rear lowers would have helped, but I don't think their needed with the revised uppers.

My overall assessment of RE's 3.5 kit now is good. I just think their customer service needs alot of work. My customer service experience was difficult at best. I especially won't forget my conversation regarding the rear pinion angle problem with one of their senior techs. After explaining the rear upper control arms are a bit short the tech insisted that i need to take it for a test drive to see if I get driveline vibrations. I insisted that if I couldn't achieve less than 2-3 degrees of difference between the driveline and differental output shaft I would not take it out for a test drive. When I confronted the tech on the phone asking him that did he believe a difference of 10 degrees or so was acceptable he went silent.

I think my version of their 3.5 kit had shortcommings that were unacceptable given their reputation and price point. I also found their customer service to be unacceptable. My issues were straight forward fixes and I think they were aware of the problem. If I didn't push I would not have received the revised parts. RE would have been content to let a customer use a kit with problems.

I'm happy with their lift now that I have revised parts.

Next time I'll buy Currie or Teraflex.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM
JK Newbie

Do any of you have before and after pics of the kit installed? Looking into the lift myself! Anyone have any issues yet? Or is the kit holding up well? Also any other tips to installing it are welcome!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Avoid this lift.

Originally Posted by redrubirocker
Do any of you have before and after pics of the kit installed? Looking into the lift myself! Anyone have any issues yet? Or is the kit holding up well? Also any other tips to installing it are welcome!!!!
Well this is certainly bringing an old thread to life!

I had the RE 3.5 Superflex lift on my 08 JKU and can in no way shape or fashion recommend it. On the surface it looks like a good kit for the money and a good value; at least it did to me. And that was before their quality took a dive. The flex bushings do not last. The rubber bushings do not last. My first set did ok but subsequent ones would deteriorate in a few days worth of wheeling. The circles on the arms that hold the rubber bushings are light and I used to have to be a them back to some semblance of round. The bushing in the front track bar got very loose. The Bilstein shocks are not suitable for all but the lightest JK, are too short, severely limiting droop, and didn't last 20k miles. The ONLY good thing I can say about the kit is that the bracket on the rear axle that raises the track bar is well built and braced and has caused no problems. The front springs gave a 3.5" lift. The rear springs did not come close. To match the front ride height and get a true 3.5 to 4" rear lift I had to order the RE 4.5" lifts kit springs and then I had to run 1" Teraflex spacers.

RE used to be a quality name but I wouldn't spend a dime with them today. If you really want this lift I'll sell you the arms, springs, front track bar, and rear track bar bracket. The arms and track bar need new flex joints and bushing. If you can get them to replace the joints and bushings for little or no cost it could work for you. You'd have to source a decent set of shocks. I wouldn't wast my money on their Bilsteins.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have this lift and love it and would highly recommend it.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiChick23
I have this lift and love it and would highly recommend it.
I just can not agree with you. RE quality has gone into the toilet. I have had arm end rubber bushing that would be gone, providing 1/4 to 3/8" forward and aft movement after two days of tough wheeling. RE was a good company many years ago. There are better lifts out there today. Look at AEV, TF or MC. Don't let the price of the RE kit suck you into a frustrating experience. But your milage may vary, I'm on the western slope of Colorado and 90 miles from Moab and lots of tough local trails. The RE stuff just doesn't hold up in tough use. The only person I know that is happy with his RE setup has an LJ and he hasn't seen a trail in several years.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express 3.5 inch Superflex?