Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon locker indicator light...

Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I think the two wires go to a dry contact switch for indication that the locker is engaged. I didn't look up the wiring diagram, but as Ron mentioned above, 12+ to one wire and the other wire to the indicating lamp, then the other side of the indicating lamp to ground should work. You could test the locker indicating switch with a multi-meter, it should change from infinity to zero ohms when the locker engages.

Edit: It may be better to reverse what side of the circuit gets 12+. Pick an already fused 12+ source inside the cab, wire 12+ to the lamp, other side of the lamp to one side of the locker indication contact, the other side of the locker indication contact goes to ground.

An advantage of the above is that if the wires to the locker indication switch get chafed and go to ground, no fuse will blow, and the worst that would happen is that the indication lamp would stay on.

Would the positive wire coming from my sPod to wire the locker count as an "already fused 12+ source"? Could I just run a second wire from the sPod source that's powering the locker?

I really want to thank you guys for the help!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flomingo
Would the positive wire coming from my sPod to wire the locker count as an "already fused 12+ source"? Could I just run a second wire from the sPod source that's powering the locker?

That will work. The wire has to be large enough to carry more amperage than the fuse, so in case of a short, the fuse will blow before the wire burns.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Presuming that the sPod source is properly fused, that's exactly what I was thinking. Have fun with that locker!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Presuming that the sPod source is properly fused, that's exactly what I was thinking. Have fun with that locker!

That's why I got the sPod... since I'm electrically challenged... it's all fused up n whatnot...

Locker works like a champ connected to the sPod, I just wanna get that LED indicator going so I know if it's locked or unlocked. Sometimes it takes a while for the locker to engage/disengage so it would just be good to know!

I'm also wiring in an inline switch on my side of the cab as a safety just so some jackleg doesn't go flipping my sPod locker switches on while on the freeway... "Hey what does this do?"
Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed Rubi axles in my sport and have them switched. I have a schematic I can send you, but not sure how it will work with a sPOD. I have mine wired to Cortura switches. When I power them on, one light goes on indicating power to the locker. When the locker engages, the second light goes on. You'll have to wire the indicator light separate from the sPOD as I recall (I looked at getting one and it wouldn't let me wire the indicator to work).
Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I installed Rubi axles in my sport and have them switched. I have a schematic I can send you, but not sure how it will work with a sPOD. I have mine wired to Cortura switches. When I power them on, one light goes on indicating power to the locker. When the locker engages, the second light goes on. You'll have to wire the indicator light separate from the sPOD as I recall (I looked at getting one and it wouldn't let me wire the indicator to work).
It was a direct hookup to the sPod. Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg and works like a charm. The inline kill switch should be easy enough to wire in. The indicator light is the only part that had me stumped but I got it now!

Thanks tho!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm also wiring in an inline switch on my side of the cab as a safety just so some jackleg doesn't go flipping my sPod locker switches on while on the freeway... "Hey what does this do?"
I have the sPOD control with dual-lit LEDs. I wired the button switch for the bottom half of the switch toggle lamps to also apply power to each switch for that very same reason. So to turn on anything through the sPOD, you must first turn on that button. When you do, the whole panel lights up, making it obvious that all switches are now operable. Works for me since nothing up there is for street/highway use.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have the sPOD control with dual-lit LEDs. I wired the button switch for the bottom half of the switch toggle lamps to also apply power to each switch for that very same reason. So to turn on anything through the sPOD, you must first turn on that button. When you do, the whole panel lights up, making it obvious that all switches are now operable. Works for me since nothing up there is for street/highway use.
I like it! But I'd have no clue how to wire that up!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I got my lockers wired up through a kill switch and got the indicator LEDs wired up too. Best part is that I did it correctly and it all works perfectly!

I'll try and post some pics of the switches and LEDs installed on the driver side A-pillar soon.

Quick Reply: Rubicon locker indicator light...