Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Susp. stuff on a sport s????

Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy,
I just put a set of Rubi shocks on my Sport. The shocks came off a 2012 JKU. My JK is a 2 door 2011. It is probably the best thing that I have done to my Jeep to date. You better eat your Cheerios when you try to compress those Rubis into position. They are really strong. Have a goodun!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the info OLDTEX.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

They are all gas shocks.....they say gas right on the body of the sport shocks....if you don't want crazy stiff shocks, get the Sahara shocks.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111108_120836.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	234246

I have had all 3 sets on....
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sheesh. I went back out to the shop for something else and found the Sport shocks had extended out to full length again. Also, I turned the light on this time, and they do say "gas" on them.

The shop is pretty cold right now, and the gas pressure is apparently very low on the black shocks. As a result they didn't rebound right away when I compressed them.

Regardless, the rubi is a helluva lot better shock.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Jeez, some confusion here . . . or maybe I've been wrong all along . . .

All Rubi JKs: Gas shocks.
Sahara JKs as of 2011: Gas shocks, same as Rubi.
All Sport/X JKs: Hydro shocks.
Sahara JKs prior to 2011: Hydro shocks.

There is no difference between the Sport shocks and the pre-2011 Sahara shocks--they are just cheap hydro shocks. Those are the black ones. My recollection is that they're just rebranded entry-level Monroes.

Likewise, there is no difference between the Rubi shocks and the 2011 Sahara shocks--they are higher quality gas shocks. Those are the red ones. Also rebranded Monroes IIRC, but of a better quality.

Not sure why the black JK shocks would say "gas" on the tube. They're basic hydro shocks.

So in terms of swapping in a Rubi suspension on a Sport, the Sport would be getting better shocks. The Rubi springs may or may not be stiffer so as to provide a lift. Unlimiteds generally have stiffer coils in any event.

Last edited by MTH; 11-08-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

No wonder why ppl are confused... I have all three sets and can tell you that they are not the same. Saharas are fat like Ruby but has softer compression and quicker rebound. Sports are skinny and are soft but slow rebound and 1.5" shorter than Sahara. Any questions I have them in front of me
Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual
No wonder why ppl are confused... I have all three sets and can tell you that they are not the same. Saharas are fat like Ruby but has softer compression and quicker rebound. Sports are skinny and are soft but slow rebound and 1.5" shorter than Sahara. Any questions I have them in front of me
Are they all from the same year?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ruby's from 09, Sahara from 10 and sports from 11... They are all gas charged too....years won't matter from 07 to 11 and Ruby are. 5" longer than Sahara
Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MTH
Jeez, some confusion here . . . or maybe I've been wrong all along . . .

All Rubi JKs: Gas shocks.
Sahara JKs as of 2011: Gas shocks, same as Rubi.
All Sport/X JKs: Hydro shocks.
Sahara JKs prior to 2011: Hydro shocks.

There is no difference between the Sport shocks and the pre-2011 Sahara shocks--they are just cheap hydro shocks. Those are the black ones. My recollection is that they're just rebranded entry-level Monroes.

Not sure why the black JK shocks would say "gas" on the tube. They're basic hydro shocks.
I wonder if the JK Sport shocks were not gas shocks until 2011. Anyone have a pre-2011 Sport shock to look at?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk

I have about 8 of them.

To look at the production book, all shocks are gas charged. The sport's are monotube and the rubi/ sahara are not monotubes.
Hey, you mean reverse that right??
Rubi and Sahara are mono and sport is twintube?!! Monotubes are far better....trust me haha. . Cheers

Quick Reply: Rubicon Susp. stuff on a sport s????